The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you w/ FI cars -- how many of you experienced cat failures?

How many of you went the decat route? and how loud is the decat route from inside the car.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Here's one guy who had a slight cat failure
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDvmjk6LHYU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDvmjk6LHYU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
i thiink both the Cad and the Cat failed in the video :p

If you have problems blowing out cats, evo dudes with big turbos have gone to using metallic race cats which won't blow out. Random Tech sells some:
http://www.randomtechnology.com/

You might want to do a google search for "100 cell metallic catalytic converters" 200, 300 cell, etc.... The less cell, the more flow...

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts

How many of you went the decat route? and how loud is the decat route from inside the car.
David,

It happens all the time -- two at our last track day. Cat welds break, It takes a bit longer on the n/a cars than FI. Also, this issue is more common on tracked cars.

As for noise/sound, the cat does do a little muffling, so the car will be a bit louder w/o the cat.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I took mine off before I went FI. It is a bit louder.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
resurrecting this topic due to yet another failure.

unlike the failures others seems to be experiencing -- welds breaking, it's the core of my cats that's failing. The welds are fine, but the core is loose and is sliding around inside the housing.

This happened yet again on my new cat -- the one with less than 200 street miles on it - not even a month old. Same issue -- the core is now loose and slides around the housing. Both cats are metallic cores.

Currently, I'm trying a ceramic core that is similar to the stock core. Perhaps it's just psychological, but the car doesn't seem like it revs as freely as before - like it's plugged up.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
CB92, which exhaust do you have and on which car?

i still have not had mine repaired after the cone broke up, and i'm not sure how i'm going to proceed given Jack's report of a failed repair.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

I have a de-cat AND headers and it's only a bit louder than a stage II inside the cockpit except when you're really high in the revs :p

From the outside it's a different story :evil:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CB92, which exhaust do you have and on which car?

i still have not had mine repaired after the cone broke up, and i'm not sure how i'm going to proceed given Jack's report of a failed repair.
2bular 8" can w/ 3" internal diameter tubing in a Bemani car putting out 240+rwhp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts