The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Today I took in my 05 Elise for a smog test. A few weeks ago, I had to have the battery replaced by Lotus (left iPod plugged in over night :wallbang:). After replacement (although this may have happened before replacing it, as I hardly had a few days to drive it), I noticed I couldn't rev higher than 6000 RPM even with engine fully warm. Someone on the forums pointed me to the ECU fuse. I checked it and it was blown and I replaced it and was able to rev normally.

Now I'm failing smog for the readiness tests (catalytic and some other ones...they all say "Not Ready"). The smog technician asked me if I had replaced the battery recently. I told him I had but had driven it for over 1000 miles so those readiness tests should already be ready. Any idea what may be wrong? Could it be another fuse problem? If so, any idea which fuses I should check?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I checked the 8 fuses in the engine bay and they all look OK. Any thoughts on what else I can check? Is there a reset procedure I'm unaware of after replacing a battery and fuse?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Get an OBD-II code reader first, then post what codes it is throwing here and you will probably get better help. Good luck.

Leaving an iPod plugged in overnight should not ruin a battery. It might drain it, but get yourself a charger (Battery Tender Jr. or something like that) and you shouldn't have as many problems.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
What happens is the ECU dumps all of it's a/f ratio data (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when it's reset (done by removing the battery).

The ECU then has to learn everything over again. Typically this takes only one tank of gas, plus a varied driving style.

You could try resetting the ECU once again.

This is only valid if you do not have a CEL. If you have a CEL, then your problem is elsewhere. Most likely with the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What happens is the ECU dumps all of it's a/f ratio data (someone correct me if I'm wrong) when it's reset (done by removing the battery).

The ECU then has to learn everything over again. Typically this takes only one tank of gas, plus a varied driving style.

You could try resetting the ECU once again.

This is only valid if you do not have a CEL. If you have a CEL, then your problem is elsewhere. Most likely with the catalytic converter.
No, no CEL illumination. Just the readiness tests show up as "Not Ready." What's the best way to reset the ECU? Unplug the battery for 10-15 minutes?

I'll probably go buy a continuity tester tomorrow for checking the fuses more closely.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, no CEL illumination. Just the readiness tests show up as "Not Ready." What's the best way to reset the ECU? Unplug the battery for 10-15 minutes?

I'll probably go buy a continuity tester tomorrow for checking the fuses more closely.
Anyone?

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Remove the negative terminal for 30 seconds, and drive with a varied driving style. It should be ready within one tank of fuel.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If car fails CA smog test and already out of warranty, the emmision is still covered by Lotus, right? Therefore this car can be taken to dealer for failure investigation?

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
7 year/70,000 mile emissions defects warranty parts list

catalytic converter
engine management electronic control module
throttle body
exhaust manifold
fuel tank
fuel level sender and seal
IAC valve
knock sensor
intake manifold and gasket
fuel pressure regulator valve
fuel level vent valve
roll over valve
instrument pack
main harness

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
7 year/70,000 mile emissions defects warranty parts list

catalytic converter
engine management electronic control module
throttle body
exhaust manifold
fuel tank
fuel level sender and seal
IAC valve
knock sensor
intake manifold and gasket
fuel pressure regulator valve
fuel level vent valve
roll over valve
instrument pack
main harness
Thank you, I will go with this list in-hand to the service center when I take it in tomorrow. Hopefully it's covered by warranty.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
It's in your owner's manual. ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
OBD2 cars have monitors in the ecu. This means the ecu checks to make sure certain things are working correctly like the cat, evap system, etc. When you unplug the battery you erase all the monitors. You have to just put some miles on the car and let it run the monitors. Once the monitors run AND pass then you should be fine. If thats what your talking about of course:D

When the smog guy checks the ecu it will show either monitor not run, fail or pass. Anything but pass and you will fail a smog inspection. See if you fail the cat monitor you get the P0420 everything gets when you run a test pipe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Oh yeah and im a licensed smog tech in CA.:cool: However the shop i currently work out does not have a smog machine so cant help ya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts