The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated posting here or General and decided here. Please move if wrong channel.

I have "failed" emissions/smog check twice on my 5600 mile 2007 Exige. Specifically they cannot communicate with EVAP, secondary air, EGR, and heated cat.
Using my OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth scanner and "Car Scanner" app on iOS, I can see that all 4 of those systems are flagged as passed.
I have not let the battery die since following the BOE emissions flag reset strategy and am fairly sure everything is good on the car, especially not 4 different systems being broken.

Note: The state emissions scanner says the ECU/VIN is reporting the car as a 2006 but it is a 2007 (Exige S with stock supercharger/tune)

I'm not sure where to start trying to solve this problem so any advice/comments are welcome. TIA

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Do you have aftermarket dash?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. No aftermarket dash. Its white dash. No aftermarket power parts, The motor is stock, the crankcase breather is there, beyond that I have not dug any deeper.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Has it passed in OR previously? Next question Gus just asked.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Any recent work? It almost sounds like the ECU is from another car that was similarly equipped. Do you know the full car history? You may have to go out and drive for and hour or two to get the monitors to show ready.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Can you ask if Oregon has recently changed their emissions systems?

I remember a few years back New York changed the emissions system and they could no longer communicate with Lotus ECUs. New York owners had to call in to the DMV Department that handled it and have their Vin numbers added to an exception list.

Not sure if Oregon may be doing something similar now?

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Oregon may be one of the several states where the software in the inspection computer is sophisticated enough to tell whether readiness monitors[like the second O2 sensor]have been fooled, and even whether a non factory tune is installed.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,478 Posts
....Note: The state emissions scanner says the ECU/VIN is reporting the car as a 2006 but it is a 2007 (Exige S with stock supercharger/tune)...
We had a car in here with a similar problem. The car was a 2007 but the ECU that was in it stated it was a 2006. The car was running an aftermarket tune (not ours). Ultimately the client had to buy a new ecu and get a stock tune placed onto it.

What tune is on your car?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow you guys are quick with the help!
  • Factory ECU and Tune (as far as I know)
  • It has never passed in Oregon. It might have never been smogged before (Originated in Oklahoma, bought it from California during COVID and PO never registered)
  • No recent work that I would think could affect readiness. I've done a handful of things like swap seats, diffuser pulled out rivnut fix, things like that.
  • I'll check out if OR has changed smog process.

I think its either a different ECU/non-OEM tune, or what ZeRoSL has brought up.
The smog station says they cannot communicate with those modules, not that they are failing.
I have driven ~250mi in various conditions/speeds since first failing smog so I believe the flags should be set properly.
I have only scanned the emissions flags and DTCs, I have no programmed/forced readiness.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,478 Posts
Post up the ECU # that you can view from the engine bay. I can see if this is a 2007 ECU...or email me direct if you want to keep it off the Interwebs. shinoo'at'inokinetic.com

·
Registered
2006 Exige SC K24A
381 Posts
  • I'll check out if OR has changed smog process.
  • Although my issue was very different there are similarities. I've talked to the DEQ management at head office at length about my issue and they were quite proud of the fact "cars that pass elsewhere may not pass here, our system goes deeper and it's always been like that". He went as far as to add "cars come here from California and fail all the time" due to the fact I mentioned I have many passes from Washington state in my possession. Their advice - bring the car into Oregon and have it tested before you buy. No option of a work around, not allowed to do tailpipe test, car basically unsupported by manufacturer but not old enough to be exempt, etc... enjoy your track car or sell it out of state. There are at least 4 work arounds. If it gets there for you let me know, I've also posted about the easiest here before (plate swap).

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts