The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking to obtain an Elise.

There is currently an available Elise near me with touring and a lifestyle color. Dealer wants $47,500 which is 3225 over MSRP. Is this a fair deal?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
Periokid said:
Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking to obtain an Elise.

There is currently an available Elise near me with touring and a lifestyle color. Dealer wants $47,500 which is 3225 over MSRP. Is the a fair deal?

Thanks.
Depends. There are people selling for MSRP but you may have to drive across country. Is $3000 worth the hassle of flying somewhere, buying out of state, registering twice (maybe?), driving for days, etc. etc. etc.

I'd say if it's the color & options you want and your bank account allows a little movement, why not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
The above being said. Look around the forum, there are several posts about Elise's out there with none to minimal over MSRP. For many places, the range you're talking about is a thing of the past.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I wouldn't pay above MSRP today. Wait two months and the dealers will be wanting to move cars at sticker. Wait until May and you'll pay a premium again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is in the Northeast.

Some dealers here are demanding $5000 over list for the car if they have it.

But if the markup is dropping, then it might be worth waiting or ordering the car. Several dealers have told me that I could have an ordered car in less then 6 months.

I wonder if I should wait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,519 Posts
haggle with the dealer,it can't hurt to try:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am going to try to see the car this week.

I have never seen or sat in an Elise. If it is what I want, I'll discuss price again with the dealer.

So far no place that I have called will sell a car in the showroom for MSRP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
I agree with the haggle idea.

ANY dealer is going to be willing to talk if you're standing in the showroom ready to buy a car from stock. Paying cash helps alot in this scenario.

With winter coming on in the Northeast, the dealer's gotta prefer selling to you than shipping to the west coast, etc.

Good luck :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Don't forget about the imminent price increase. It will most likely take effect at the end of December or early January. The $3,000 markup in reality is only around $2,000 since they will be going up by at least $1,000 very shortly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tala2693 said:
Don't forget about the imminent price increase. It will most likely take effect at the end of December or early January. The $3,000 markup in reality is only around $2,000 since they will be going up by at least $1,000 very shortly
Interesting point. I was unaware of this increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,577 Posts
tala2693 said:
Don't forget about the imminent price increase. It will most likely take effect at the end of December or early January. The $3,000 markup in reality is only around $2,000 since they will be going up by at least $1,000 very shortly
Is this substantiated?!?! :( -eek- :wallbang:

I don't want to have to give my car up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
tala2693 said:
Don't forget about the imminent price increase. It will most likely take effect at the end of December or early January. The $3,000 markup in reality is only around $2,000 since they will be going up by at least $1,000 very shortly
Curious as to where you got this information?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
my salesperson told me that they were advised that an additional increase was coming. They were not given an exact date but based on the value of the $ I would suspect that it will take effect in early January. Lotus does not produce enough vehicles to absorb this devaluation so they have to increase MSRP. There is also a $75 increase in the destination charge that takes effect with vehicles invoiced after Wednesday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
also, if you look at the value of the US dollar to the British pound from August (the initial price increase) to current market, it is costing Lotus about $900 in profit (.55 to .528) Where do you think this $900 will come from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Curious as to where you got this information?
Tell me that this isn't true. This would just... HURT!!! :mad: :wallbang: I'm already paying $2,500 over MSRP (by way of Newport European's "contract option to buy" program) Another price increase and I might not be able to buy the car I ordered.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
970 Posts
rtking said:
Tell me that this isn't true. This would just... HURT!!! :mad: :wallbang: I'm already paying $2,500 over MSRP (by way of Newport European's "contract option to buy" program) Another price increase and I might not be able to buy the car I ordered.

Bob

why dont you just wait til southbay or someone else in LA become a dealer and get it at msrp???...I bet if someone in LA signs a contract by this winter and you are in first batch of orders, I bet you still get your car faster from them than from NE at the rate they are delivering their cars..if your deposit or whatever you call it isnt refundable, then youre out of luck...cars are already being offered at msrp from private party and dealers so paying over msrp these days doesnt make much sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Naw... I already "purchased the option contract" when I placed my order. My $2,500 isn't refundable at this point.

I was in line with Galpin as a "back-up" and left $3,000 deposit there (which I've gotten refunded now.) But at this point, I feel fairly confident that I should take delivery in February or March, 2005... so that works out OK for me and it'll be the color/interior and options that I want.

Bob
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top