The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling my LTS wheels and tires and didn't know what the price should be so i put them on Ebay. I thought a fair starting point would be what the wheels alone cost from Lotus, basically tires for free, if you could even get the wheels from Lotus right now.

I haven't gotten any bids though. Do you guys think i started too high? What do you think they should be worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66482&item=7926884770&rd=1

-Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
With a few exceptions, I think you should always start lower on your items on ebay (and possibly use a reserve), since people will bid higher on items that started lower. :)

I would have started at $1000 and saw how it went.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'd suggest starting very low ($9.99 or below), so that the insertion fee is low. It also gets people to bid. It's the bidding war that really makes you money, as Randy said.

Use the money you save with the low insertion fee to bold the title, or other upgrade options.

Set the reserve at close to what you want to get for them.

I'd also suggest 2-3 pictures, instead of just 1, especially if your reputation is below 100. It reassures people that you actually have what you're selling.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'd hang on to them for a few months, at least until there is a significantly higher number of delivered cars. Your potential market is REALLY small right now.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
off,
Having used ebay lots over the years, it's better to start lower and place a reserve, ie $1k with a reserve placed at the least you want to get.

I suspect a limited market for the wheels unless someones looking for a second set as I am one to paint. Most people will go the other way and put on after market wheels creating a surplus of the standard wheels.
Just my 2 cents.
Chris

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. i updated it.

I always prefer to bid on auctions with no reserves so i did it like that but apparently not everyone feels that way.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Steve,
Amazingly, in my experience with ebay. People often don't want to be the first bidder on a no reserve auction. I've relisted items that garnered no bids in a no-reserve auction into a reserve auction and sold for more, go figure1
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I rarely sell items that have a limited audience, so I try to start my auctions at $.01. The more bids you get, the more people look at them and decide they are valuable. I hate reserves, but for an item like wheels for our Elise, I probably would reserve them. I was 'watching' your wheels because I may sell mine down the road sometime as I'm converting to LSS (later this month). Or I may keep them for street driving.

·
Registered
413 Posts
...and show a photo of the tire tread. Buyers will want to see the tread pattern and it will reinforce that the tires are barely used.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I love the list of bidders. How high should I bid up Chris? :D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Just some advice, you should have put detailed specs - bolt pattern, offset, center bore, etc., so that people with other cars can find them in searches. If you're brave, even do the research on other cars' fitment yourself :)

·
Lotus Sales
629 Posts
Wheels on e Bay

Hey Steve,
What did you replace your OEM wheels with? Please call me on Friday if you don't sell them on e Bay. I am heading off to Watkins Glen this afternoon and will be back then. I might buy them from you after you are done schill bidding on e [email protected]! :) Regards,

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Wheels on e Bay

Mark Starr said:
Hey Steve,
What did you replace your OEM wheels with? Please call me on Friday if you don't sell them on e Bay. I am heading off to Watkins Glen this afternoon and will be back then. I might buy them from you after you are done schill bidding on e [email protected]! :) Regards,
replaced them with the Kodiak wheels from Sector 111. I run r-spec tires all year long here in So Cal so no reason to have an extra set of wheels.

I'd be happy to stop the auction right now and sell them to you for $1450.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts