The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
54DE55EC-8B2B-48CA-A83A-FA09CC63DCC2.jpeg
I’m picking up my first Lotus tomorrow (2017 evora with 14k miles on it) and have only seen pics so far - but the brake calipers have me scratching my chin...

At first glance looks like top quality AP Racing calipers (which leads me to believe It’s been raced/tracked) and then I ran across this: CUSTOMER WARNING NOTICE - FAKE PRODUCTS REAL DANGER

What sayeth the LT brain trust?!

Kevin

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Could have been repainted but to CYA Have you checked that the product has an anti-counterfeit label stuck on warning is where I would start and inquire about where they were purchased and ask for receipt.

Reactions: kestrou

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CS27,

Well, I’m 350 miles form the vehicle - supposed to drive there tonight and pay/pick-up in the morning... Hate to go that far If this doesn’t pan out...

I’ve called AP Racing to see if there’s any way these AREN’T fake after that “yellow” warning. Don’t believe it’s a holiday there, but have been “At queue position one in the queue” of their voicemail system for 20 minutes...

holding my breath!

Kevin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah - and vehicle is at a dealer, so I can’t just ask the owner the history or for receipts...

:(

Kevin

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Perhaps call the dealer and tell them that it was brought to your attention that AP doesn't produce a yellow caliper and that you realize that it could have been painted but you need photo of the label before you'll drive that distance. If they're honest and interested in selling then they'll have their mechanic snap a quick photo.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, darn... today IS a holiday in the UK - so I won’t be able to get a hold of anybody at AP Racing...

would appreciate anybody out there who’s ever seen genuine yellow calipers on an Evora to weigh in...

even if you don’t have yellow - what’s a set of four calipers cost? Maybe I get dispensation from the dealer?!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Don't say Lotus so they are replaced AFAIK. Not a bad thing. May have damaged one so rlaced both on an axle. Are all 4 the same?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps call the dealer and tell them that it was brought to your attention that AP doesn't produce a yellow caliper and that you realize that it could have been painted but you need photo of the label before you'll drive that distance. If they're honest and interested in selling then they'll have their mechanic snap a quick photo.
Yup - texted my sales guy, but no reply yet (830am).

Today being a holiday, I’m not holding my breath for a pic of the back of the caliper before I hit the road about 5pm today...

Kevin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't say Lotus so they are replaced AFAIK. Not a bad thing. May have damaged one so rlaced both on an axle. Are all 4 the same?
Yup - all four identical...

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Ahh I got it . Bet owner didn't like oe color(maybe black) and bought these instead

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Well, Lotus did offer them in yellow (and red and black). And, my guess is that manufacturers can order in different colors than the general masses. So, my money is that they are real.
Right from the Lotus brochure:

Oh, and later Lotus cars did not come with the Lotus labeled calipers but the AP Racing ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah you can also spec an Evora GT with yellow calipers today.

If the car also comes with the original window sticker could check that and/or ask Lotus USA for a copy. And of course the certificate of provenance from Lotus UK.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard back from AP Racing and they confirmed they made yellow for Lotus - so we’re all good there. Just be wary of any aftermarket in yellow! :)

kevin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin, that's great news, did you buy the car?
Yes, I did - and I’m a HAPPY BOY! :)

Considering driving (400 miles) with trailer and then trailering it back. But 22yo daughter was in town and hanging loose for a few days so the two of us made a trip of it and she drove my truck back sans trailer so I could drive the Evora.

interstate highway certainly wasn’t a medium for really testing the car, but got a chance to get comfortable in it. Well, as comfortable as that seat could be for 400 miles.

I have lots more to read/digest from the site here - but this is the part where you say “Welcome to the club!” :D

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts