The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all who are running on Falkens: what tire pressures do you typically begin with. Importantly, are they higher in the front than in the rear, or vice-versa? Is it a matter of preference, and how highly is it dependent on setup?

As you may or may not know, my car runs 34 front, 38-40 rear.

Kimberly

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am not too sure as to wether or not my information will help you or not due to the big difference in size of our side walls.

For instance, I know that Art runs close to the 50's for his front tires. And he, like you, drives a FWD car. But then there is me and my 215/45/16's. So far I have faound that they like it around 32 on the rear and 37 up front.

But like I said before "I am not too sure as to wether or not my information will help you"

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Here is a funny thing. I saw another guy who drives an IS talking about his tire pressure. He ran 36 and 38 (front/rear). I run 45/47 when the tires are hot. That is a HUGE difference. I do know he doesn't mark his tires to check to see how far he is rolling onto the edges. I am going to put a thread up on IS300.net trying to find out what everyone runs since there is such a huge difference.

I think that tire pressure are really car and suspension dependant. Plus raising the fronts will give you better grip to a point then start lowering at the pressure increases. THe same for the rear. What a lot of people do is lower their rears to get more tire on the road so that the rear isn't as likely to go flying away, but the sacriface acceleration and stability in cornering.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had been running about 36-38 front and 34-38 rear before the coil-overs and camber plates. After, I wasn't getting any roll-over in front no matter how low I went with pressures. So, I borrowed the SCNAX IR thermometer, and found I was underinflated (temp in the middle of the tire was lower).

Now I've found that the 36-38 I was running in front works pretty well. The rears are adjusted for balance that I can't do with the shocks.

For example, at Norton..., I had too much oversteer, so adjusted the rear pressure up a few psi, and the oversteer went away (in case anyone wondered why I ran a 69 sec 1st run).

So, my rear tire pressures run from 32 to 40 psi.

·
Registered
132 Posts
interesting, as i started out at 39/40 frt/rr and found it was too much, i slide all over the place, i lowered them down to 36/38 frt/rr and found it much better, although there was next to no heat at the night event, at the SCNAX Cup event, they were consistently good at the 36/38 settings. My roll over is dead on the pointers on the tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've run mine at 38 up front and 35 in the back. I adjust the back pressure to fine tune the oversteer/understeer.

On the street I run them at 28-30 all around. Stock pressure is 26 F/R.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's important to remember that some of the cars on this list are Rear wheel drive though most are Front wheel drive. That makes a BIG difference in what the car will require to do it's best. Also, there are significant differences in tire size that are being ignored. The 205-50-15 works somewhat differently than the 195-60-14 even though they are the same diameter.

FWD cars usually prefer higher front tire pressure than RWD cars want, probably because FWD fronts get asked to do a lot more than the front tires on RWD cars. The balance of pressure front to rear on any car is also determined by the front-to-rear weight balance. FWD cars are typically nose heavy and require higher pressure in the front to compensate for this.

FWD cars often tolerate a much wider range of rear tire pressures than RWD cars. Tom Smith sometimes runs over fifty PSI on the rear of his Integra. Don Green often runs around twenty. Both are plenty fast...and both claim to do it to "get the back end working right". <shrug>

Having said all that, I find that 36/30 works best on the CRX and 34/34 works best on the Miata, both using the 195-60-14 Azenis tires.

It is neat that practically everybody on this board uses the same tire...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts