The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are invited to our Second Annual Fall GYLO, to be held Sunday, September 23rd, 8:00AM at the Starbucks at Fair Lakes, VA.
Please RSVP to let me know approximately how many cars to expect.

What is GYLO? GYLO is Get Your Lotus Out, an excuse for gathering the marque, and communing with other Lotusphiles. We hold them a couple of times per year, in conjunction with Cars & Coffee gatherings, so other interesting vehicles are around, but we cordon off space that's just for Lotus.

Where is Fair Lakes, VA? It's about a 5 minute drive from Fair Oaks Mall, which is situated near 66 & 50 in Fairfax, VA. We hold the Cars & Coffee events in front of the Starbucks in the shopping center - there's also a Kohl's and a Dick's Sporting Goods in the complex.

We have had good response to our previous three GYLOs - two in 2011, and the most recent in May of this year, but several people mentioned that Saturday wasn't good for them, and that O-Dark-Thirty is a non-starter, as well. In order to make sure we give as many people as possible the opportunity to attend a GYLO, we've decided to try this on Sunday, at this venue. We will plan to arrive at the Starbuck's parking lot at 8:00AM, but the beauty of this large parking lot is that it won't be the end of the world if you can't get here until 8:30AM, or even 9:00AM.

If you don't currently have a Lotus, or if your Lotus isn't currently running - no problem! This event is for Lotus lovers. You may just run into an old Lotus friend or two.

I'm giving ample notice for this event, so I hope we can have a great turnout. The last three GYLOs have each averaged over 20 Lotus in attendance.

You can MapQuest this parking lot, using the address for Kohl's -

12551 Fair Lakes Circle
Fairfax, VA 22033

Please note that you are all welcome to attend the Fair Lakes Cars & Coffee any Sunday. It typically runs from about 8:00AM until 10:30 or after.
Send questions regarding this event to me; I'll try to answer whatever I can. Please invite any Lotus people you know.
We are also gauging interest in a drive/brunch to follow GYLO.

--Bob Collum
robert(underscore)collum(at)hotmail(dot)com

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Additional GYLO Call-Out: Lotus 'Cousins'

Since we should have plenty of room at the Fair Lakes venue, we'd like to extend an invitation to Lotus' close relations. That's vehicles worked on by Lotus Engineering, like the original ZR-1 Corvettes, as well as Tesla Roadsters, built alongside Elises and Exiges on the Hethel assembly line. I know we have at least a few of each, and want to welcome them to the gathering!

RSVP to me, at my email, robert(underscore)collum(at)hotmail(dot)com.

This event is to be held at Fair Lakes on Sunday, September 23rd.

We hope to see you there!

Thanks,

--Bob Collum

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fall GYLO: Lotus (and friends)

A reminder - all Lotus owners (and related brands) are invited to bring their cars to Fair Lakes, VA on Sunday, September 23rd, 8:00AM(ish). Of course, everyone is welcome to the weekly Cars & Coffee, but we will set aside an area for Lotus and related vehicles on 9/23.

We're hoping for a great turnout, and a wide variety of Lotus models, as well as Lotus 'cousin' cars - to include early Corvette ZR-1, Tesla, Aston DB9, Nissan GTR, etc. If Lotus had a hand in engineering the car, we'll certainly consider it. (We may need to hold the line against having all the cars the GM EcoTech engine went in.)

Please RSVP to me, robert(underscore)collum(at)hotmail(dot)com.

--Bob Collum

Some pictures from a previous GYLO (Get Your Lotus Out), at another venue:

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fall GYLO - Market East, Fair Lakes, VA: 09/23/12, 8:00AM

Bump! Just over a week to go, and we're making good progress - over 20 Lotus confirmed, and I hope to have some confirmed 'cousin' cars before the event.

I will be at the Kohl's parking lot early, cordoning off the Lotus Family area.

Please tell your friends! RSVP to me if you're coming, so I know what to plan for. For those interested, we will be going to brunch afterwards, to a nearby restaurant.

Lotus-related cars (those engineered by Lotus) are also welcome. We hope to have some early Corvette ZR-1's, a couple of Teslas, and at least 1 Aston DB9 in attendance.

(...and it does not matter what you drive. Plenty of parking, outside our cordoned-off area, for whatever vehicle you bring. Come meet up with Lotus people!)

Don't know where this is? Use MapQuest or your GPS, using the Kohl's address -

12551 Fair Lakes Circle
Fairfax, VA 22033

--Bob Collum
robert(underscore)collum(at)hotmail(dot)com

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I like the idea of including "not a Lotus but has Lotus content" cars. Don't forget about the Jensen Healey and DeLorean cars. Then again the list is really exhaustive.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of including "not a Lotus but has Lotus content" cars. Don't forget about the Jensen Healey and DeLorean cars. Then again the list is really exhaustive.
Thanks, Kyle. I'm interested in seeing what turns out. We have plenty of room at this venue, so I saw no reason to exclude Lotus-related vehicles. We have a couple of ex-Elise owners who have early ZR-1's, and also a Tesla that shows up regularly. I'd love to see a Jensen-Healey show up. Due to a scheduled work trip, we will miss the guy with the Lotus Omega that showed up at McGovern's a couple of weeks ago. :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Working on my phobia of planning anything more than one week out so, with a slight stretch, count me in.

How about a people's choice award voted on by all the attendees? I can kick in a shop gift certificate for the winner. Assumption being voting on your own car is bad form of course.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Working on my phobia of planning anything more than one week out so, with a slight stretch, count me in.

How about a people's choice award voted on by all the attendees? I can kick in a shop gift certificate for the winner. Assumption being voting on your own car is bad form of course.
Sounds good, Matt - thanks! We'll make arrangements to have ballots to hand out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bob,

Count me in as long as the weather is suitable!

Missed you this morning at Fair Lakes. You must have been polishing your car for next weekend!

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Bob,

Count me in as long as the weather is suitable!

Missed you this morning at Fair Lakes. You must have been polishing your car for next weekend!
Thanks! The Lotus count is now up to 22 or 23. List above updated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just printed up a fresh $200 gift certificate for Sunday. Hope to help anyone on the fence to show up! I do not want to post the shop name as I have not heard back from site admin about advertising. Shop is about 20mins west of Fair Lakes and we sell plenty of mail order parts (Motul lubricants, Ohlins, Schroth Racing harnesses, etc.) if the lucky winner is not geographically convenient to us. And unless the weather gods turn nasty this should be a very nice morning.

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Matt! Turnout looks good, and I think we may see several 'maybes' showing up...

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, SilverSurfer & Cashman! Both added to the GYLO attendee list in Post #7.

Please note (despite the thread title), this event will be in Fair Lakes, not in Great Falls.

See you there!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts