The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Berkshires of western MA and there are many nice twisty roads around here. To add Mount Greylock 3487 ft. the highest mountain in MA is in our territory with the Bennington Battle Monument built in the mid 1800's { an elevator ride inside goes some 200+ feet up for views} in Vermont not far away from Greylock.

Albany, NY going west on I-90 is about 45 minutes
Torrington, CT going north is about 45 minutes to 1 hour via Rt. 8
Eastern MA. going west on I-90 depends how far out near Boston. Map Quest Exit 2 on the Mass. Pike for a basic location to see mileage and time.

Time and date to be determined as to what works best for everyone. Open to everyone with any car that is unique. No club membership or fees required... it's just a ride. Greylock summit does charge a $2.00 parking fee when I was there last year.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would so love to but too far from me 130 miles and 2 hrs and 30 min drive. I am literally almost driving across the state of MA.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Depending when, I'm up for it. Same distance as Lime Rock for me. Done that so many times, I could remain sleeping and wake up in the pits. I've gone up Graylock before.....on a bicycle. Never in a car.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to figure a nice day is not easy when they keep changing the forecast everyday. All of the high-tech equipment a meteorologist has today and they still cannot figure out the weather from one day to the next.

With the cool temps we had through September the leaves have turned fast here in the Berkshires and the past few rainy days hasn't helped. :(

Jack,
How long does it take for you to get to Lime Rock? It's an hour for me and I'm about 2 hours west of Worcester.

Robert

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'd be in for something in november. I have zero free time left this month. less leaf peepers then anyway.

also the too far thing made me laugh. Isn't the point of having a fun car driving it? There are fun routes out to greylock, find them and use them. granted i've been known to just up and drive several hundred miles for no reason at all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I leave myself 3 hours. This includes a gas stop and a stop at Dunkin Donuts to eat. Getting home always seems to be faster. People were all flying on the turnpike Saturday.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
343 Posts
I'd be up for something but not until the weekend of 10/27,28.

Noel

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
also the too far thing made me laugh. Isn't the point of having a fun car driving it? There are fun routes out to greylock, find them and use them. granted i've been known to just up and drive several hundred miles for no reason at all.
Ditto. Although I can appreciate events closer to home, we've had no shortage of 300+ mile drives in this forum.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you to those who have shown interest. Regarding a date I was thinking a Saturday or Sunday this month which leaves us with:

13/14 ~ 20/21 ~ 27/28 Please post the most convenient day that works for you, most replies for that day is the winning vote.

The colors here are going fast, if your not interested that's fine but this year is the best I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure when the road to the Greylock summit closes, but if no one cares that's alright too. We could skip the Bennington ride for those traviling a distance and keep it focused in this area.

There are plenty of open roads around here where you can have fun without having to stop and go driving through suburbs. Great Barrington hosts the 'Barrington Brewery' where they make their own beer and serve good food. I think keeping it simple is best.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
10/14 is the Dartmouth College car show
10/20 is C&C at Larz Anderson

Avoiding those date may help your attendance.

My thoughts on events like this has always been, "plan it and they will come."

Once you pick a date, I'll send it to the mailing list as a non-NEMOLL FYI.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's a fun drive going up Mt Greylock and Mohawk Trail is a great way to get there if coming from the East. I'm up for the Saturdays this month, preferably 13th and 27th.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Will try to make this...and will only know when the day comes closer. Been wanting to visit the famous Mohawk Trail Hairpin for the longest time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Type82, it's much easier to touch base with the crew of unique car owners via FB. I just sent you an invitation to connect. I hope it's you :) This thread can / and should continue to run its course.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked the 27th because that seems to work for Noel,Downshift, and Mr. Esprit V8 to show interest.

When I have an idea of those planning to attend and where they are coming from I'll put together a route where we can meet or at points.
If there is something you would like to see whilst out here let me know so I can incorporate that into the route.

Mr. Esprit V8 would like to vist the 'Hair Pin' turn on Rt.2 which can be done if we visit Greylock. I need to contact the park service to find out when they close the gate for the season however I don't think it's until the end of the month. The colors will be gone but the views are amazing, especially going into the tower.

I would like to do everything I can to make this a fun and enjoyable ride especially for those traveling long distance so please feel free to let me know what you would like. The chosen Route will be 'Pre-Driven' by myself to make sure it's 'ClamSafe' trust me I hate to bottom out. Directions, contact info, everything else will be handed out so you cannot get lost... been there. I have led runs in the past with no problems and I leave no car behind.

My only rule: NO SPEEDING!!!! Obey the limits, 5 over is ok but anything + the "Man' decides. Police have been very heavy around here, just a warning.

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
343 Posts
Looking forward to the ride. Thanks for taking the trouble to pull it together Robert.

Noel

1 - 20 of 59 Posts