The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone put a solenoid ans catch on the sealed second false fuel filler cap?
Was think about putting it on so that the trickle charger can be plugged into it rather than opening the boot each time.

Any details, pics etc appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Most trickle chargers come with several different options for hookups. On my SE I used the ring eye leads and then dropped the lead out the hole in the battery tray. then i just reach up and plug in there.
But am sure you could figure out a way to hook up under the filler flap. There are all kinds of plugs you can get from marine suppliers that you can mount, and then hook to a small charger.

Randy

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have done that but not the solenoid. The door stays open or closed since there is no spring. I made a small rectangular hole that a plug fits into and I made an adapter so the charger can plug into it. The hole you make in the fiberglass will depend on what kind of plug you choose. Getting the door open was the hard part. You have to carefully slice the thick, black rubber glue (5 spots) that they used to hold the door closed. I pried the door a little and used a LONG box cutter blade. I also put plenty of masking tape all around to protect the paint.
David Teitelbaum

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am generally against any potential spark source near where fuel goes into the car; I am just funny that way.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Do you mean adding another aluminum fuel door to the drivers side of the clam and putting a charging port there? Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI, yes I think so. The fuel flap is on the passenger side (UK car), the flap on the drivers side is blank, but as mentioned can be opened by 'un-sticking the glue'.
My thought was, to connect up a solenoid and switch (as per the fuel flap) to open it, and have a fixed connector in there which I can plug the trickle charge into.
I am in the UK, we only have small garages (to fit our usually small cars) so this would assist as I wouldn't have to open the rear gate or try and get under the rear wheel arch each time.

Thoughts ? Ideas ? Problems that may be coming my way ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
U guys talking about an Esprit or Elise? I wasn't aware of a "false gas cap" on the Esprit unless it's on the later model V8's. Please post what cars you are talking about or put it in your sig at least so it is clear. There are lot's of posts in the Esprit section related to the Elise and it's confusing.
Artie

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Art,

The V8's only fill from the left side, right side is blanked off and no filler neck but the access door is still there and hinged but glued shut.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I think there is a little confusion now. Whirlybird says the driver's side is blank and it's a UK car. I think this means the left side door is the one not being used? On the US cars the left side is used and the right side is blanked off. As for Addertooth, on the side where the door is sealed (on US cars) there is no fuel connection. Over the right hand fuel tank is the engine ECU and the alarm so there are wires there but no fuel filler. Properly done there is no danger of an explosion or fire. I would also add a small fuse between the plug under the fuel door for the charger and the battery. If you want to get really fancy you can also stick a diode in. A solenoid is overkill. On one car I put a small cabinet catch in. Push on it, it opens, push again it closes. It wasn't necessary. I do recommend a polarized plug so you can't hook the charger up wrong.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No David, it's a UK car so driver on the right and non working fuel door on the right, the same as here.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Art,

The V8's only fill from the left side, right side is blanked off and no filler neck but the access door is still there and hinged but glued shut.
lol..... I looked at V8 a couple years ago, and I told the owner that his right side fuel filler door was broken. rotfl I was only familiar with the 4 cylinder esprits ad knew that both doors worked on them. Oops. :eek:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I second what ADDERTOOTH said, I live near the convenience store where only the second ever documented case in the US of a fire caused by a cell phone at a gas pump killed someone, it doesnt take much spark.

When I work on things on my vehicle involving gas I've done some pretty risky things by accident, example: I was draining the fuel from my Esprit in my garage over the winter into those round open oil drain pans then dumping it into an actual gas can, but it went too fast, I sat one aside and my kerosene "torpedo" heater kicked on by thermostat right behind where I sat the first pan, nothing happened, but scary what could of.
But its the dumb little things that usually get ya in my opinion not the things your thinkin of. I wouldnt put the Battery Tender plug near the fuel.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's not anymore near the fuel than the ECM or the main 12 volt cable that supplies all the electrics to the front of the car.

The fuel door is well above the fuel tank with a plywood deck between the two. There is no filler neck in the left hand tank.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The fuel isn't nearly a combustible as the the fumes. Drop a match into a gallon of gas. The match will go out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you do it right there will be no risk of explosion or fire. There should never be gas fumes in the tank area. Obviously you shouldn't overfill the tank, but even then no gas should overflow into the car.

You can also buy "ignition protected" components, and I would recommend doing so.

I blanked off the fill on my left tank on my SE when I replaced the fuel tank, and eliminated the filler pipe on that side.
I don't know what is under the glued flap, I assume just fiberglass and no filler cutout. You do want to maintain a water proof barrier as you don't want water in the tank area.
If you use marine components you can get a bulkhead mounted waterproof male plug to mount under the flap, and then hard wire it to a proper "ignition protected" ( no spark) trickle charger hard wired to the battery. Then you simply plug an extension cord into the car mounted plug.

Andyou can tell your green friends that it is a Hybrid Esprit!!

Randy

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Jim, I wasn't aware of the lack of a second fill. I like being able to choose a side if a given pump at the station where I fill is occupied and can choose whichever is available. Gasoline is flammable, not combustible. Diesel fuel is combustible. Important difference. The vapor is the dangerous constituent. I have heard the analogy several times that if you drop a match in to a gallon of gasoline, it will extinguish. First off, I would be willing to bet most of us have never tried that, secondly, if that gallon container of gasoline has any airspace in it, there will be vapors filling that space. Please post your youtube video of this trick. I'd love to see it. I'm no explosives expert, but am certainly not dumb enough to test the theory near my own personal belongings.
Artie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts