The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little problem with my A/C blower. It does not blow anymore. Actually it is probably a big problem from what I have read. I have read that there is a fan control module on the passenger side fender that might be disconnected that I could not seem to locate, but I didn't tear the entire wheel liner out to look for it. The cooling fans on the radiator do work so I do not think it is disconnected, even though I couldn't locate it. I was looking at a schematic that shows the resistor block that can corrode away and I noticed that the high speed setting on the fan goes straight thru to the blower motor.

My blower does not work at all on any setting so I am thinking that the motor is bad and not the resistors. Or maybe both are bad. The fuse in the passenger compartment is not blown and I have power at the fuse when I turn on the ignition and turn the fan on, so the fan switch is good also. Holes were drilled to let the water drain out, unfortunately it was only done about 2 months ago so the damage was already probably done.

Is there anything else that I can check before I tear off the front clam. Also is it possible to put 12 volts directly to the blower motor without pulling off the clam first. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
The fan control module is only for the radiator/condensor cooling fans, not the blower. Chances are the resistor pack, which is buried, has corroded, even though you rightly point out the#3 speed is direct. The blower, too is hard to get at, I think a dealer trip is needed. Good luck.
Michael

I have a little problem with my A/C blower. It does not blow anymore. Actually it is probably a big problem from what I have read. I have read that there is a fan control module on the passenger side fender that might be disconnected that I could not seem to locate, but I didn't tear the entire wheel liner out to look for it. The cooling fans on the radiator do work so I do not think it is disconnected, even though I couldn't locate it. I was looking at a schematic that shows the resistor block that can corrode away and I noticed that the high speed setting on the fan goes straight thru to the blower motor.

My blower does not work at all on any setting so I am thinking that the motor is bad and not the resistors. Or maybe both are bad. The fuse in the passenger compartment is not blown and I have power at the fuse when I turn on the ignition and turn the fan on, so the fan switch is good also. Holes were drilled to let the water drain out, unfortunately it was only done about 2 months ago so the damage was already probably done.

Is there anything else that I can check before I tear off the front clam. Also is it possible to put 12 volts directly to the blower motor without pulling off the clam first. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have experienced similar fan blower problem just this week. it's really annoying I brought it to dealer they seemed to believe it's an ECU related problem.

Everytime I start my car (after at least 2 hrs of sitting cold), the fan seems to blow cold air fine (maybe 70% power of when its new), power setting in dial 1. after 15mins into driving the car the blower is gone. I hear the AC is on, blue light lit everything seems fine except no air (very little) comes out the vents. tried different settings, nothing, I hear the AC system gets louder as it increases in power.

Let me know how it goes, dealer doesnt seem to know where to begin to fix the problem. I'm gonna pass out from the heat of the engine bay 6 inches behind my head, while lowering the window is not an option in hongkong's traffic.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 07 Exige S.

After inspecting my car a couple of weeks ago it looks like it already had the TSB done for the holes being drilled to allow water to drain so the resistor packs don't fuse.

After looking at much of the electrical wiring in my Lotus, I've come to the conclusion:

1. Factory workers do wiring just after they get back from the Pub
2. Factory workers need a class in basic electronics/wiring (especially ground loop)
3. Lotus electrical engineers -- they don't have any

Fiberglass shell and Aluminum chassis poses some interesting challenges to wiring, grounds, and other various characteristics of electrical interaction with these elements, but it would seem Lotus aren't hip to these challenges.

The urban legend about Lotus wiring being aweful/nightmare is unfortunately very accurate -- I've seen considerably better wiring in GM and Ford, and that's pretty bad as is.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Everytime I start my car (after at least 2 hrs of sitting cold), the fan seems to blow cold air fine (maybe 70% power of when its new), power setting in dial 1. after 15mins into driving the car the blower is gone. I hear the AC is on, blue light lit everything seems fine except no air (very little) comes out the vents.
If you turn off the AC for awhile does it work again? It sounds like you condenser is freezing up. If that is the case, when you first turn on the AC, only turn the temperature setting part way, not full cold. See if that keeps it going. Early cars, especially, were prone to ice forming on the condenser fins, blocking all air flow through the AC unit. You had to turn it off and let the ice melt before things would work again. By only tuning it on part way, it would keep things from freezing and keep the air flowing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
No air coming out of my vents!

Sir Lotus or anyone, HELP ME!!! lol..

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I did a forum search and this is the same issue I'm having...

Here's what I'm experiencing:

* AC unit and blue light click on when pushed - I can hear it kick on

* 50% of the time, when I turn the knob for the fan (doesn't matter at what speed) it works; 50% of the time it doesn't work and no air comes out.

* Recently I've noticed when it does work, it smells like buring wiring lol...

So, what are your thoughts? Issue with blower, compressor, resistor pack?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sir Lotus or anyone, HELP ME!!! lol..
* AC unit and blue light click on when pushed - I can hear it kick on
* 50% of the time, when I turn the knob for the fan (doesn't matter at what speed) it works; 50% of the time it doesn't work and no air comes out.
* Recently I've noticed when it does work, it smells like burning wiring lol...
I would put my money on the resistor pack - the symptoms you describe are almost exactly what people are describing when theirs went bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts