The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to buy a garage mechanic buddy a nifty very high-quality "designer" tool from an expensive tool manufacturer as a gift, what brands should I look for?

My friend spent a year as a full-time auto mechanic and has a pretty good set of Snap-on tools, but I'm looking for something really frou-frou and very nice.

Yes, it's silly, but that's kind of the point. Something he wouldn't buy for himself.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Snap-On is nice. I vote Snap-on for automotive use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could ask the dealer to sell you a limited collector's edition that they usually have some sets available in.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Snap-On is nice. I vote Snap-on for automotive use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could ask the dealer to sell you a limited collector's editor that they usually have some sets available in.
:up:

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
If he makes his living from being a mechanic, quality is probably more important than pomp and bling. So I'd say Snap On. Sure you could get some frilly Italian tools that he may not know what they even are anyway, but if he uses them and they break- what the heck is he every going to do with them. With Snap On he can hand it to his rep that is by once a week and have a replacement in hand the same day.

I've found Snap On prices to be very high.....and absolutely worth it. Even if you are like me and can't afford everything snap on- the high use stuff is def. worth it. At least the ratchets and screwdrivers for sure.

If you don't know what he already has, a Snap On gift cert would be awesome.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Get him some SnapOn tool that he doesn't have. Something like a set of 1/4 inch swivel sockets. I've got a couple individual ones, and they are handy. Wish I had the whole set. I'll bet he doesn't have them as they aren't used that often (but when you need one, it's great).

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Just DON'T get him Crapsman !!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
There are USAG and Facom.
The Facom ratchets are really nice.
And how about the titanium Snapon and other titanium tools?
There are more exotic lightweights too, like boron-aluminum matrix and carbon fibre/metal wrenches.

You can special order some of the european Facom tools that are not normally imported.
That might be something he normally won't have.
They have some pieces no one else makes.
I think they have some pullers that put Snapon to shame.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts