The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my first DE with my Elise was at NHIS on Wednesday and Thursday. I was really busy for the past few weeks getting her prepped: V-force installed, lap belt mount points installed through tub, sub points mounted to stock seatbelt points, seats modified with Sector grommets, harnesses installed, re-enforcer and Stan's mod installed, RTV brace installed, steering arms machined, castor maxed out, more aggressive alignment performed, then performed again, then performed again, fire extinguisher installed, R888s mounted on Rota Slipstreams and installed, brakes and clutch bled, and, while I was at it, console, rear console trim, and AC surround painted black.

The car was absolutely BRILLIANT at the track. The new alignment was absolutely fantastic, I can't believe it doesn't come from the factory like this. The front stayed planted in all except the most extreme situations (cough...turn three...cough). The car was completely stable on the straights. I really don't see the down side. The tires were great too. Very predictable and linear, with good audible feedback and quite good grip. AND THE BRAKES! I was expecting to have a handling advantage, but I didn't know how much the brakes would outshine the field of Porsches (it was a PCA event), especially since Porsches are KNOWN for THEIR brakes. Can't recommend Pagid Blacks enough. Granted, I was only in the blue run group (probably should be white sooner than later), but there was nothing out there (including some VERY fast cars) that could touch me. Spent tons of time waiting to pass people, which was a little frustrating at times. I was even holding back a bit by not shifting down to 2nd in some places and by not shifting up to 4th in others for the sake of working on smoothness.

Anyhoo, I am now, more than ever, COMPLETELY INFATUATED WITH MY CAR. The only thing I need to improve is the brake pedal. I think I must have had some air in the ABS system because after the first run the initial pedal travel increased significantly, which made it almost impossible to heel-toe.

So, I need to give a shout out to all the people here who were so helpful with their advice. I also need to thank surferjer, chococar, and HRM for their generous donation of camber shims. I have some extras if anyone needs them.

Cheers everyone...wish I could buy everyone a beer!

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, sounds like some great mods, would love to check them out. I have a stock Exige and am eyeballing May 27 for an SCDA run at NHIS. Anyone planning on that day?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try to make it to the next get together, whenever that happens. I think my next track event will be Mont Tremblant in July with the PCA.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Purist,

Glad to hear that all went well and you are happy with the alignment.

Tony

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tony...and thanks for all the great info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I sent you a PM. I'm a local PCA guy who is convinced my Elise needs to see a DE event. Drives like no other Porsche I have been in, I must say. Turn transisition is quite spectacular. Owning my car 3 days has convinced me it's a keeper!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts