The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
are you ace10 undercover???:panic:
No, and I usually go out of my way to answer reasonable questions that have been asked a thousand times before. But when there's a long list, and of things so easy to find as 0-60 times, and as complex as mods to achieve different hp results, combined with a couple similar posts recently in other threads, it seemed prudent to point out how he could find the information that's already here.

John

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
0-60 and how fast in the quarter. THAT is ALL that matters ! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
874 Posts
No, and I usually go out of my way to answer reasonable questions that have been asked a thousand times before. But when there's a long list, and of things so easy to find as 0-60 times, and as complex as mods to achieve different hp results, combined with a couple similar posts recently in other threads, it seemed prudent to point out how he could find the information that's already here.

John
lol it was just a joke....:thwack:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Since I'm also interested in in 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times of the Elise, I'll try to field this one as best I can based on research I've done and replies I've gotten from this forum.

Most here will tell you that the Elise is not built for straight line speed, which I'm sure you've gathered thus far.
On the other hand it is a pure unadultrated sports car and perhaps the closest thing you will ever drive to a full blown race car that does everything well.

According to a few postings over on the corvette forum board, a few members have encountered the Lotus Elise in friendly street races, only to find that the Elise is a faster car than a stock c6 corvette from around 0-100 mph. After 100 mph the corvette catches up and passes the Elise. This is the difference between a 190 hp inline four vs a 400hp V8 torque monster. The top end speeds don't matter very much since we probably won't be driving 180 mph on a regular basis, which the Corvette will do.
It is the faster car as top speed goes.

Handling wise, the Elise can do what the Corvette can't. While the Corvette is a good handling car, the Elise is a better handling car in every single aspect. It's power to weight ratio is superior to the Corvette which , seemingly, is why it's quicker in short bursts.
1/4 mile, the big v8 will probably edge the Elise out, but I'd surmise it would not be by much at all. After the 1/4 mile the Corvette will take over in a big way.
0-100 mph is really all that matters to me. It's the most used "band" on the street.
In straight line races, at the drag strip , all that matters is the 1/4 mile.
Although not known for its straight line speed, do not mistake the Elise for being slow.
Anything that will actually beat a c6 Corvette to 100mph is the farthest thing from slow that you will ever drive.

This from a c5 Corvette owner, soon to be a Lotus owner.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Since I'm also interested in in 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times of the Elise, I'll try to field this one as best I can based on research I've done and replies I've gotten from this forum.

Most here will tell you that the Elise is not built for straight line speed, which I'm sure you've gathered thus far.
On the other hand it is a pure unadultrated sports car and perhaps the closest thing you will ever drive to a full blown race car that does everything well.

According to a few postings over on the corvette forum board, a few members have encountered the Lotus Elise in friendly street races, only to find that the Elise is a faster car than a stock c6 corvette from around 0-100 mph. After 100 mph the corvette catches up and passes the Elise. This is the difference between a 190 hp inline four vs a 400hp V8 torque monster. The top end speeds don't matter very much since we probably won't be driving 180 mph on a regular basis, which the Corvette will do.
It is the faster car as top speed goes.

Handling wise, the Elise can do what the Corvette can't. While the Corvette is a good handling car, the Elise is a better handling car in every single aspect. It's power to weight ratio is superior to the Corvette which , seemingly, is why it's quicker in short bursts.
1/4 mile, the big v8 will probably edge the Elise out, but I'd surmise it would not be by much at all. After the 1/4 mile the Corvette will take over in a big way.
0-100 mph is really all that matters to me. It's the most used "band" on the street.
In straight line races, at the drag strip , all that matters is the 1/4 mile.
Although not known for its straight line speed, do not mistake the Elise for being slow.
Anything that will actually beat a c6 Corvette to 100mph is the farthest thing from slow that you will ever drive.

This from a c5 Corvette owner, soon to be a Lotus owner.
i fail to see the validity of this post...

none of that babel you posted had any direct response to the questions he asked.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Well your buddies must not know how to drive. A stock Vette is faster in a straightline in all aspects than a NA Elise hands down.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
-0-60?
-1/4 mile?
-hp?
-mods required for results?
-etc.

1/4 mile times there is an s1 running 9 sec 1/4 miles over seas i think. they are on youtube. what he did to get that i have know idea

hp, checkout monkey and ask for ronin

turbos are producing some good numbers, but a bit on the pricey side. quite a few of us have gone for the after market supercharger kits available. less$$ but not as much hp.

if youd like, check out the celica forums, a few guys over there have done some fun stuff with the 2zz.

also, ask "gtsrasta" he know a lot about this sort of :shrug:

note, out of a box, the lotus is a fantastic well thought out platform capable of truly amazing things.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i fail to see the validity of this post...

none of that babel you posted had any direct response to the questions he asked.
Pardon me. Who are you?? The reply police?
When I first came to this forum , I to was interested in real world 1/4 mile and 0-60, not magazine postings.
I figured this would give the man some idea as to what I'd found.
If you don't like my response , so be it. If it irritates you, so be it.
You can't possibly imagine how little it matters to me.
But hey, I have an idea......if you don't like a certain reply, or response as you would have it, don't read it.

Of course, I suppose that none of the above has any direct response to your reply.
But this does.

Obviously the Moderator deleted what I had to say to you.
I won't push my luck since I'm new here and thus far have enjoyed this forum until your outburst.
Generally I don't like pompous asses. I'm not saying you are one, but I'm not saying you aren't one either.
Read between the lines.
So here's my idea. I ignore your rants until I can't stand it anymore and you don't reply to my postings NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT KILLS YOU NOT TO.
This way two things will happen. #1: It will be like you've never existed. And #2: It'll be like you don't exist.
Sound like a winner?

Good day.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well your buddies must not know how to drive. A stock Vette is faster in a straightline in all aspects than a NA Elise hands down.
Originally Posted by gmrx
This is first time I doubted about the car. I've bought my 2006 A6 couple months ago. Since then I was astonished about accleration. Every time I accelerate on highway it is like riding a rollercoaster. There is nearly no match to the car mentioned Audi S4 or even Carrera S. But yesterday I tried with my best friend's Lotus Elise slipping a pink. Straight lane about 1/4 mile. We covered about half maybe more (need place to stop) up to approx. 80 mph. We tried several times and every time I was about 2 lenghts of a car behined him. I tried with traction control. Without it was even worse -I smoked tires and he was in front of me before the car start to accelerate. I wondering if I did something wrong or just is that little cutey with 190 hp toyota engine simply faster? I realized that maybe Vette is not the car for quick starts from standing point. Moreover transmission is not helpfull - guys having A6 knows that shifting via paddles is takes a lot of time (not ferrari like miliseconds). I guess that from rolling start or over 100mph Vette could be deffinatelly faster - but that is not my point. Tell what You think.
PS. Lotus was even about 200 lbs lighter from his astonished 1900 lbs. It was barely chasis with engine as the clams and doors were removed to be painted.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

Totally agree. I've raced an LS2 'Vette first hand on the HWY. Might have been closer if we went from a launch, but the results weren't pretty to say the least. We started perhaps around 70-75.

It wouldn't really be that close unless you got a wicked launch. A blower should fix that though :D

Also, that was an automatic C6. A good manual driver should produce much better results.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Totally agree. I've raced an LS2 'Vette first hand on the HWY. Might have been closer if we went from a launch, but the results weren't pretty to say the least. We started perhaps around 70-75.

It wouldn't really be that close unless you got a wicked launch. A blower should fix that though :D

Also, that was an automatic C6. A good manual driver should produce much better results.
The 05 C6 auto was a 4spd but in 06 they went to 6spd autos. with paddles that supposedily compete with the best. Besides all that, C6s' 0-100 are less than 10 seconds and NA Elises' are close to 13 seconds.

BM, I was seconding camming it after getting on a highway while passing a C6 that was cruising @ roughly 60. While I was still accelerating on the 2nd cam, the C6 downshifted and ran away, not walked. I couldn't do anything but laugh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
-0-60? .9
-1/4 mile? 3.8
-hp? >9000
-mods required for results? solid rocket booster
-etc.
all that's left is to build it

·
Registered
560 Posts
The 05 C6 auto was a 4spd but in 06 they went to 6spd autos. with paddles that supposedily compete with the best. Besides all that, C6s' 0-100 are less than 10 seconds and NA Elises' are close to 13 seconds.

BM, I was seconding camming it after getting on a highway while passing a C6 that was cruising @ roughly 60. While I was still accelerating on the 2nd cam, the C6 downshifted and ran away, not walked. I couldn't do anything but laugh.
Currently I'm driving a c5 with a 3.42 rear carrier that has beaten any and every stock c6 that's crossed its path, both on the street and the track.
Yes I raced it at the drag strip a couple of times just to see what it would do.
The car is slightly modded with a vararam true ram air induction system and a magnaflow exhaust with x pipe and an LS1 edit tune, the latter of which provided an additional 13 hp. The combination of the rear end, the exhaust and the ram air is a fairly deadly one. This allows the car to breath better, pressures up the intake and the rear end allows it to "spool up" quicker, for lack of a better term thus putting it in its power band quicker.
On june 4th 2006, at 8:23 PM in Louisiana at state capital dragway,,,,
The car ran the 1/8 mile at 86.33 mph, at 8.47 seconds.
It covered the 1/4 mile at 109.74 mph at 13.001 seconds.
Approximately 3 tenths faster than the 06 C6 I was pitted against.
I'm looking at the time slip now.

Your "real world" numbers are incorrect as I do not see my car hitting 100 mph in less than 10 seconds. LESS THAN 10 SECONDS.
This would equate to picking up an additional 14 mph in approximately 1.5 seconds. It's not going to happen.
I defy any stock C6 either a4 or a6 to beat my car. That won't happen either.

It took the car approximately 4.5 seconds and 1/8 of a mile to pick up roughly 23 mph from the 86.33 mph mark.
So I figure MAYBE 0-100 in 11.5 or so. A stock 06 C6 will be slower, from my experience.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh.....and weather has much to do with this.
As you know all cars are faster in cool dry weather.
So if they ran that thar c6 at -14 degrees F AT SEA LEVEL , I seriously STILL doubt it would crack in under the 10 second mark 0-100 mph.
In fact, I know it won't

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lingenfelter blower for c6 = $5500 (last I checked) Katana blower for Elise = $5000 including charliex tune

Wonder which one is money better spent...
Probably the one for the Vette.
I hear they get an additional 100hp or more.

Elise may pick up, what, 50?
If that?
Essentially it would be approximately the same thing due to power to weight ratio.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts