The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
transio said:
Holy crap. That's w/ a 2zz-ge engine?!
Nope. 2JZ. Dual turbocharged 6 cylinder found in the Supra.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't get it????? What's the point in drag racing? Any idiot can point and shoot in a strait line. Personally, only golf makes less sense.

And B4 any golfers chime in, how many of you are avid archers? After all you're gonna say to me it's all about getting the ball as close to the hole as possible. Like hitting a bulls eye (AKA Archery).

It's an opinion, that's all.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Vangman said:
I don't get it????? What's the point in drag racing? Any idiot can point and shoot in a strait line. Personally, only golf makes less sense.
Wow I have to say that is an extremely naive statement. There is a lot of skill that goes into consistently posting good times in a high horsepower car. It is obvious you have never done so.

There is no point to most sports and hobbies yet that does not diminish the fun of the activity. I don’t participate in every sports but I can surely appreciate the skill and efforts of others who do. What I don’t get is your comments, but then again like you said that’s just my opinion..thats all!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Vangman said:

And B4 any golfers chime in, how many of you are avid archers? After all you're gonna say to me it's all about getting the ball as close to the hole as possible. Like hitting a bulls eye (AKA Archery).

It's an opinion, that's all.
Trying to manage 6000HP+ to keep it in a "straight line" like you say, in an engine that has to be completly rebuild after every pass it's not an easy feat.

The sport is way to complicated for me to try to explain it in here, but in short, you have to adjust the selonoid timing and the clutch weights to make sure the clutch engages at the right moment, too much primary clutch and you are going to smoke your tires. You also have to stay on the groove if you get out, you'll smoke your tires and maybe head towards the wall since your other tire has still grip.

You have to fight the initial torgue and the tendencies fo the car to go one way or the other when you start loosing cylinders.

If you ever saw video of a driver in a top fuel car, you'll see that they do give a lot of steering input to "just go straight"

Finally here is what a drag racer will tell a road racer any time.
You guys are strange, you just keep going around and around the same circuit looking for the finish line, for us is just going from point A to point B.

All sports, including Archery and Golf have their details and challanges, giving an opinion like yours is pretty close minded, just because you don't get the sport or have taken time to comprehend it doesn't mean it's easy or pointless. Looks easy because you have a simplyfied version in your mind of what that sport (or task) is.

Of course, that is my opinion as well :p

·
Registered
640 Posts
Miguel said:
Trying to manage 6000HP+ to keep it in a "straight line" like you say, in an engine that has to be completly rebuild after every pass it's not an easy feat.

The sport is way to complicated for me to try to explain it in here, but in short, you have to adjust the selonoid timing and the clutch weights to make sure the clutch engages at the right moment, too much primary clutch and you are going to smoke your tires. You also have to stay on the groove if you get out, you'll smoke your tires and maybe head towards the wall since your other tire has still grip.

You have to fight the initial torgue and the tendencies fo the car to go one way or the other when you start loosing cylinders.

If you ever saw video of a driver in a top fuel car, you'll see that they do give a lot of steering input to "just go straight"

:p
Sounds as stressful as a normal day at the office for me, except mine lasts 8-10 hrs instead of 6 seconds ;)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Sweet!! Sorry guys, I just had to push some buttons. I was really bored that night. But it is funny to throw something out there like that and sit back and watch how passionate people are about things. So no offense. BTW, as a ME I do appreciate the stresses, the torques, the moments, etc that go into drag racing. But it's only for 4 seconds. Why don't they race for a mile?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Vangman said:
Why don't they race for a mile?
That would be interesting. Top Fuel and Funny Cars are trapping well over 300 mph in a quarter mile, I wonder what they'd be able to do if they were built to run a full mile.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well, they are always accelerating so I think they would have to find a way to get those engines to rev even higher, it's dangerous as it is,

If they reach 330+ MPH in 1/4 mile and the speed of sound is 763 MPH and since they could keep it accelerating, they would have to figure a way to break the sound barrier in order to do a one mile race :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts