The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple Rules for Factory Production Bench Race.

Car must be mass produced, 500+ cars a year.
Only mods from "Factory Stock" are tire pressure and a tank of 100 octane gas.
Car must be 50 state street legal/licensed.
Total time for 10 consecutive laps at any major road race track of 1 mile or more.

Whats your vote for the fastest road race production car?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Somehow this may not be quite what you're looking for. Caterham CSR. Only a few come Stateside, but the production capacity at the factory is 500-600 cars a year. A Caterham CSR 260 unofficially set a 1:17.4 on the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold. Compare that with "official" top five:

Gumpert Apollo 1:17.1
Ascari A10 1:17.3
Koenigsegg CCX 1:17.6
Pagani Zonda F 1:18.4
Maserati MC12 1:18.9

None of the above are produced in numbers of 500 a year.

Granted it's the Top Gear track... but I guess it compares.
(Vehicle production December 2006).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'm going to go out and guess Porsche Carrera GT right off the bat, but that's probably a little shortsighted as there's a good half dozen underrated cars out there that can do some serious damage on a track. Perhaps Ferrari F430 Scuderia?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Don't you guys read the internets? The Nissan GT-R is the fastest car evAr

/Thread

Somehow this may not be quite what you're looking for. Caterham CSR. Only a few come Stateside, but the production capacity at the factory is 500-600 cars a year. A Caterham CSR 260 unofficially set a 1:17.4 on the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold. Compare that with "official" top five:
Technically, they don't make 500 examples of the CSR260 each year, 500 units represents Caterham's total output of the entire range of 7's

Also, there is some doubt cast on that unofficial time as I have heard the car may have been on slicks and the car in the video seems a bit modified from street trim :shrug:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I'm going to go out and guess Porsche Carrera GT right off the bat, but that's probably a little shortsighted as there's a good half dozen underrated cars out there that can do some serious damage on a track. Perhaps Ferrari F430 Scuderia?
they only make like 50 carrera GT's a year I think

lol @ mopho... but the GTR is probably pretty close to the top given the restrictions

·
Registered
101 Posts
Given the restriction of 500 per year, it's probably going to be tough to beat the GTR for performance. Style, fun, respect hands down it'll get beat 7 ways from Sunday, but have to admit they got the performance down.

...but I really hope someone prooves me wrong!

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Given the restriction of 500 per year, it's probably going to be tough to beat the GTR for performance. Style, fun, respect hands down it'll get beat 7 ways from Sunday, but have to admit they got the performance down.

...but I really hope someone prooves me wrong!
im not sure why everyone is so quick to down the gtr....not sure if its just this board in particular, as i know how everything is dissed thats non lotus, non miata, or non 1M dollar price tag.
i havent driven the gtr myself, but from all accounts the car performs very well. not sure why its "no fun" and gets no respect. style is subjective.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
im not sure why everyone is so quick to down the gtr....not sure if its just this board in particular, as i know how everything is dissed thats non lotus, non miata, or non 1M dollar price tag.
i havent driven the gtr myself, but from all accounts the car performs very well. not sure why its "no fun" and gets no respect. style is subjective.
I dont respect it because with out all of the computer controls and fancy AWD system, its just an expensive PIG of a car.

However, it would probably win this comparo

·
Registered
386 Posts
Didn't the 997 GT2 beat the CarreraGT's time at the Nurburgring? It's got my vote. :)

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I dont respect it because with out all of the computer controls and fancy AWD system, its just an expensive PIG of a car.

However, it would probably win this comparo
but it DOES have fancy tech, and it DOES work very well. just a different approach perhaps than what u might want to see but the end result is impressive.
gee, i never hear anyone bashing 911 turbos with their pig car and fancy awd systems....
anyway, point being maybe instead of bashing every car thats not a lotus, an atom, or some astrologically high priced exotic, maybe we should appreciate other cars for what they are.
just a thought.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Gumpert Apollo 1:17.1
Ascari A10 1:17.3
Koenigsegg CCX 1:17.6
Pagani Zonda F 1:18.4
Maserati MC12 1:18.9

None of the above are produced in numbers of 500 a year.

Granted it's the Top Gear track... but I guess it compares.
(Vehicle production December 2006).
In that case, the Thrust SSC gets my vote- My 5-y-o has decided he wants one of these instaed of a Gallardo!

thrust_ssc.jpg

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I "down" on the GT-R because I have driven one and drew my own conclusions, while a nice car I think it is a bit of yawn :wave:

It's not all about the numbers you know ;)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I "down" on the GT-R because I have driven one and drew my own conclusions, while a nice car I think it is a bit of yawn :wave:

It's not all about the numbers you know ;)
no, not until the price reaches a million dollars or so..:)

im not saying its "all abt the numbers," but when you build and sell a PERFORMANCE car, i think what the car can do is very important.

sorry, not everyone wants the same driving experience. i know many ppl i couldnt GIVE them an elise. it rattles, the paint is terrible, it has fake scoops everywhere, hard to get in and out, tight compartment for 2 grown men, etc...not everyone puts roadfeel as the one and only benchmark for judging a great car.
when i had my zo6, all i heard from this board was how the z is a boring car and this and that....sheesh. it certainly wasnt boring while i was driving it.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
im not saying its "all abt the numbers," but when you build and sell a PERFORMANCE car, i think what the car can do is very important.
I think how the car makes me feel and how fun it is to drive is more important;)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
sorry, not everyone wants the same driving experience. i know many ppl i couldnt GIVE them an elise. it rattles, the paint is terrible, it has fake scoops everywhere, hard to get in and out, tight compartment for 2 grown men, etc...not everyone puts roadfeel as the one and only benchmark for judging a great car.
when i had my zo6, all i heard from this board was how the z is a boring car and this and that....sheesh. it certainly wasnt boring while i was driving it.
my Elise doesn't have any fake scoops on it? :shrug: the "vents" by the taillight are cosmetic, all 4 square inches of it... :rolleyes:

anyways... you should stop listening to a very small group of people, on a very small board :)
not sure about the million dollar comment - most people around here are not impressed by veyrons, enzo's, koniegseggs, and zonda's - of course "everybody" wants one because its unobtainable and they are amazing in so many ways.... thats true everwhere! but its just throwing money around in obscence ways - to that end - most people here respect Zo6's and GTR because they perform great at a reasonable price - but that doesn't mean that since its a viable purchase, it is a purchase choice by default. i would not get either - just nothing there that interest me. however an old 911 rs? now i would spend 100k on that.

in regards to the fastest road car? 50 state legal, 500 a year? gosh i have no idea - in fact, come to think of it... i really don't care!? i just want a street legal KTM, thats my next dream car after the elise.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
my Elise doesn't have any fake scoops on it? :shrug: the "vents" by the taillight are cosmetic, all 4 square inches of it... :rolleyes:

vents? ok then, vents. how abt the fake "vents" in the front corner down by the grill? how abt that scoop, errr, vent on the roof of the n/a exige?
:confused:-eek-TADTS

im just messin with ya....the civic guys used to give me hell abt that stuff all the time, lol.

mopho, i think how a car makes me feel is important too, but that feeling a particular car gives someone is subjective and is different to each person.
far be it from me to make that judgement for others...:)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I personally have alot of respect for the Z06, but thats because you can turn off the "Computer EASY MODE" and still put up the same damn numbers(even better in some cases) then someone cheating(Thats what i will call it forever) Paddle shifting in its self is borderline with me, it takes away a very large piece of skill required for performance driving.

I challenge anyone to turn off all of the computer assisted Gizmos in the GTR and try to match its performance claims, Im pretty sure its impossible.

I mean come on, they have a "Launch control mode" where the computer does everything right so you can get those magazine 0-60 numbers without thinking.

Thats my beef with the GTR, but its my opinion and im entitled to that.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I personally have alot of respect for the Z06, but thats because you can turn off the "Computer EASY MODE" and still put up the same damn numbers(even better in some cases) then someone cheating(Thats what i will call it forever) Paddle shifting in its self is borderline with me, it takes away a very large piece of skill required for performance driving.

I challenge anyone to turn off all of the computer assisted Gizmos in the GTR and try to match its performance claims, Im pretty sure its impossible.

I mean come on, they have a "Launch control mode" where the computer does everything right so you can get those magazine 0-60 numbers without thinking.

im not trying to take that entitlement away from u or anyone....im just saying those reasons u cite dont make it a "bad" car.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
vents? ok then, vents. how abt the fake "vents" in the front corner down by the grill? how abt that scoop, errr, vent on the roof of the n/a exige?
:confused:-eek-TADTS

im just messin with ya....the civic guys used to give me hell abt that stuff all the time, lol.

mopho, i think how a car makes me feel is important too, but that feeling a particular car gives someone is subjective and is different to each person.
....the vents in the front serve air to the oil coolers, required functional to cool the mid engine layout - i don't mind the messing at all man - i am just saying - nothing fake on my car?? your correct about the 06 exige - but thats a "fake" exige anyways :p

and the second part you are 100% right -= thats why its so great to have choices like vettes, nissans, lotus, ferrari's, porsches, prius, not matter what you like - there is a good choice out there! ...well, maybe not the vette hahah - now i am just kidding!

i don't think morpho is saying its a bad car - he is just saying he doesn't like it, its not a car he prefers, and its certainly not the perfect end all car. (playing the anti fan-boy role to keep the automotive world in balance)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

To be fair, the computer assisted gizmos are so seamless that you can't even tell they are there. The car drives a lot like a RWD car, you can hang it out, etc.
Besides, in a 4000lbs car going as fast as this car does, you will need all the help you can get, because if you go off, it's going to be big!

It's a nice car, but I take issue with other things:

A) Automatic transmission. You can claim all you want that it is a manual, but if you can put it in "drive" and it will change gears itself, it's an automatic. Period!
Sure you can do a manual override and it shifts when you want it to and does nice (artificial) throttle blips on the down shift, but it is not as engaging and takes away a lot of the fun in driving. A true manual transmission car can make even a boring drive a bit more entertaining. A manual transmission also makes the acceleration more exciting too because you really have to work it

B) It doesn't sound very good. A nice sounding car adds to the experience. Sure you can put an aftermarket exhaust on it, but the aforementioned automatic transmission upshifts so seamlessly that the car will sound like a Honda Accord with a fart can

C) It is not all that visceral and there is not much sense of speed. One of the parameters in the design of the car was to be able to have a conversation at 150mph. Why? I don't need to have a conversation at 150mph! If I buy a fast car, I want it to knock my socks off, I want it to be exciting, and I don't want to have to drive at absurd speeds (i.e. go to jail speeds) in order for it to be so. And this is the problem with a lot of these supercar types, they are so competent at really high speeds, they are boring to drive at realistic speeds. So what's the point really? Bragging rights? :rolleyes:

For me, if I am going to buy a performance car, I prefer a lightweight car that is responsive, gives lots of feedback, and is a visceral experience, even if it is not the fastest car in the hands of a professional driver on the block :wave:

Of course, but since most people have not driven this car, they don't know how the car makes them feel and they defend it based solely on magazine racing

And you coming from a Lotus, Z06 and a Noble, I think had you driven the GT-R you might tend to agree with me ;)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts