The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
does anyone know if there is a simple way or any way of knowing which editor level that Fastworks editor is currently running?

I have the full Fastworks suite (Level 2) for my T4 ECU but have not been able to get live tuning to work after a computer upgrade. I have already reached out to BOE but no replies so far so I’m reaching out to you guys since I would like to check that the right Fasworks editor level is installed correctly.

Best Regards
H

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
Looks like there's a two computer limit. Have you tried calling BOE during their hours? They can get busy at times. Also try turbophil on LT or FB. Last I could find on them look at #7 and beyond on this link Are the Fastworks Servers Dead Again?

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input Catsailr27!

I got the SW running on the computer after a lot of hassle with Anti-virus, Widows etc. But as there are different SW-packs and re-installing was not straight forward, I was hoping to have a way of identifying if it was Base, Level 1 or Level 2 that is active and running as I can’t get live-tuning to work.

I am aware of the support situation of this SW, but I have thrown a bunch of money to get this SW-suite and would like to avoid if possible spending more money on an aftermarket ECU with SW-support.

Calling Phin and BOE, yepp I have done that when it was needed but since I’m in Europe, I start with BOE email, the experience of this forum and lastly the phone call to team BOE.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
You're in Europe? Call RRR Engineering and get the ECUMaster EMUBlack and call it done. Sucks to spend more, but you'll be up and running faster and with a modern ECU. You'll be fighting FastWorks for ever. I can't even begin the count the number of threads on here about the servers being down, not working, BOE not providing support, etc...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You're in Europe? Call RRR Engineering and get the ECUMaster EMUBlack and call it done. Sucks to spend more, but you'll be up and running faster and with a modern ECU. You'll be fighting FastWorks for ever. I can't even begin the count the number of threads on here about the servers being down, not working, BOE not providing support, etc...
If they do truly stop supporting their product, they need to release the security apparatus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mwehnes, thanks for the info.

Considered that the ECU of my car is getting old and could be the potential source of my problems, the price for potentially a second-hand ECU + BOE tuning at full price to unlock my FastWorks Suite to a new ECU serial might end up at the same price level as a new ECUmaster Black. I am not 100% sure that the BOE Tune is necessary or full price, but it is the indications so far from BOE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Did some research on the ECUMaster EMU Black and found out that they have an adapter kit to use existing loom even for the T4 ECU (2005 without Drive By Wire) and dropped RRR and email with some questions.

Within 24hrs I got a reply, so based on the first impression this might cost a bit but is a more future proof solution with a larger service organization and active community.

I still have some homework on the EMU Black to do so no decisions just yet…

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Not to sound like a sales person for RRR, but I bought from them for two reasons.
1. They've been big supporters of Joe Taylor (lotus cup racing) and driving development on the Lotus platform.
2. In my limited exchanges with them via email they have always replied promptly and professionally.
3. Actually there was a third reason, exchange rates. I saved a significant amount leveraging exchange rates.

I'll mention for everyone else reading this in the USA, ECUMaster USA leaves a lot to be desired. I'm nearly certain the USA branch is just some dude in a rented garage space. Terrible at email, abrupt, and generally not too helpful. Also, if you follow ECUMaster USA on Instagram they run sales for free items (e.g. Bluetooth module) frequently with the purchase of a EMUBlack or PDU. There are terms and conditions to qualify for those free items they don't tell you about until you try to redeem after the sale.

Make sure if you go this route you find a tuner/business you can get support from if needed.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I regret not buying Level 2 editor. Can you turn on and off the emmissions monitors with Level 1?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shay2nak: You might find some info on your question in the BOE Fastworks videos on Youtube e.g.

I can't help out since I don't know if I'm running Level 1 or 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

So I have decided to leave Fastworks and go down another route. This is mainly due to:

Difficulties in getting support from BOE, yes I live in Europe so some mail support needs to be possible..

Uncertainties if there is any development ongoing for the Fastworks suite already sold

As my car evolves beyond “standard” REV-kit, tuning and support is a requirement

The Lotus ECU is getting quite old and I wanted more functionality, so I guess that replacing the ECU was just a matter of time..

I have bought a lot from BOE over the years and except for the Fastworks suite, everything has been up to the highest standards.

So I’m going with RRR Engineering in UK and PSI Motor in Sweden for an ECUmaster system. RRR know Lotus and aftermarket ECUs, PSI has been involved in the development of the EMU Black, and both have been very friendly and responsive during my decision process.

I guess that I need to start a separate thread regarding this upgrade…

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have you guys looked at the MoTec ECU? There is an outfit down in Texas that is doing the upgrades for Lotus.
Later,
Eldon
You do not want to do business with them based on my experience. Can't get parts, cant get support. And they know nothing about Motec, they are for sure reselling that with no idea what it is. I have a number of friends who have similar bad experiences with them. They are just a marketing company. Furthermore one of the owners is in the middle of a federal court case for fraud.

·
Administrator
1,454 Posts
You do not want to do business with them based on my experience. Can't get parts, cant get support. And they know nothing about Motec, they are for sure reselling that with no idea what it is. I have a number of friends who have similar bad experiences with them. They are just a marketing company. Furthermore one of the owners is in the middle of a federal court case for fraud.
I was wondering if that was the same guy. He's looking at 800+ years if convicted. I didn't think it was him at first because his FB page never missed a beat. I had my red flag go up when I got emails bashing another vendor and blaming losses on him.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the MoTec unit and I'm looking at using one of their more powerful units in my Cup-R. Looking at their videos and software, it looks like a good tuner could quickly get a system up and running. The major step is creating an adapter harness to switch out the OEM ECU.
Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Thanks for the info Kevin. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the MoTec unit and I'm looking at using one of their more powerful units in my Cup-R. Looking at their videos and software, it looks like a good tuner could quickly get a system up and running. The major step is creating an adapter harness to switch out the OEM ECU.
Later,
Eldon
Send your car down here and I'll do the Motec install for you, not working still till August

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Send your car down here and I'll do the Motec install for you, not working still till August
Sorry but I actually enjoy doing this kind of work and being located in one of the major racing centers of the US, I would hate to say that I have more resources here then you do. ;-)
Trying to find time and an event to get back to COTA. Hopefully, we can catch up then.
Take care,
Eldon

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Sorry but I actually enjoy doing this kind of work and being located in one of the major racing centers of the US, I would hate to say that I have more resources here then you do. ;-)
Including MoTec themselves - 235 Raceway Dr, Mooresville, NC 28117 - haha

·
Registered
528 Posts
The major step is creating an adapter harness to switch out the OEM ECU.
If you take your time, it's not too tough. I'd be willing to share pinout details if someone would like to build their own harness adapter.

Here's one I made for my RevX build (partially complete in this image):

Boomslang also makes adapter harnesses for various ECUs.

Here's one for a Haltech Elite1500:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts