The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't registered for FATT at the moment but I am going to wait last minute to register.
I usually do this to keep an eye out on the forecast because for some reason, the rain and thunder love to wait for track days.
At this time, I'm seeing 55% chance for rain at Summit Point, WV.
Now I'm not discouraging rain track days as you get the most out of those (my first track day in the 400 was in heavy rain at Summit Point!) but given its only one day and insurance alone for the 400 will cost almost twice the cost of entry, it might not seem worth it to come if its forecasted to rain. I'd rather spend that time with the family driving to Canaan Valley and having more time at LOG.
I've been driving Shenandoah circuit for 3 years. For those who don't know or have never been, its got a ton of turns but in the rain, its pretty slick and a bit hazardous (a bit more than other tracks) and walls are pretty close. Just want to throw that out there for those considering for us mid-engine folk, not to discourage but just to warn given there is no refund following registeration. I've seen a few of my buddies wreck in the rain and would absolutely hate for it to happen to anyone especially before LOG. Although its incredibly rewarding, it can be pretty intimidating and nerve-wrecking for people not familiar with the track or novices.
But hopefully, the forecast clears up and we can enjoy a clear day in which case, disregard!!!

Just for reference and for fun, here's some of my rain day moments from Shenandoah in my Toyota 86, conservatively driving, to give you guys an idea

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shenandoah is a great track for a Lotus. I'm hoping to make it out there pending other commitments. Here's a video from my Elise last year; yes I'm slow, but still a lot of fun.

100% a ton of fun, super technical, but not my best track, still haven't been able to figure out how to be really fast.
Regardless, I'm still planning on it but will wait till next week for the forecast to confirm.
I'll be running in the solo group and will likely miss the last session so we can get to LOG in time to see people

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm all about safety first, but I hope your logic doesn't affect decisions of others to not drive their Lotus in the rain. It still baffles me how many owners "brag" they never driven in the rain??? It was built in England!

As I type this, there are currently 82 vehicles registered and 14 of those are on the wait list... Hope the weather cooperates and you're able to attend!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm all about safety first, but I hope your logic doesn't affect decisions of others to not drive their Lotus in the rain. It still baffles me how many owners "brag" they never driven in the rain??? It was built in England!

As I type this, there are currently 82 vehicles registered and 14 of those are on the wait list... Hope the weather cooperates and you're able to attend!
Oh yeah not discouraging others to attend due to rain, more of a disclaimer. I'd hate for someone to have their first experience at shenny be a terrifying one, because its more intimidating than other tracks.
I hope so too! I see only 11 solo registered and no waitlist for them so I think I should be good!

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
203 Posts
A friend of mine used to work as an analyst for a major weather station and said that any forecast 5-7+ days out is using data and averages from previous years to predict out that far. Unless there is a major tropical storm or hurricane, the best bet is to wait until a few days out before you make any decisions!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Does summit point have a noise limit and if so do you need to manage it in your 400?

It'll be my first time at the track and I'm usually at tracks that have no limits.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend of mine used to work as an analyst for a major weather station and said that any forecast 5-7+ days out is using data and averages from previous years to predict out that far. Unless there is a major tropical storm or hurricane, the best bet is to wait until a few days out before you make any decisions!
Yep...thats what the plan is...I'd rather not deal with the risk before LOG

Does summit point have a noise limit and if so do you need to manage it in your 400?

It'll be my first time at the track and I'm usually at tracks that have no limits.
I've ran my 400 with no issues at all at Summit multiple times in stock form....I am installing the GRP decat this weekend so I hope its not going to be an issue.
Summit limit is 103dB.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone interested in paddocking together? I usually like to paddock in the red circle near the burger shack/restrooms...we can easily line up our 15 lotuses there, set up a lotus tent if someone has one

Map Green Urban design Terrestrial plant Grass

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So those coming to FATT, was able to confirm that we will be paddocking together and we'll be leaving from Summit caravan style to head to LOG:

Hi Lotus Track Day attendee,
You are receiving this email because you have signed up for the Friday at the Track (FATT) Event at Summit Point's Shenandoah Circuit on September 9, 2022. All of the details and forms for the FATT event can be found in the information packet located at the link listed below.
The in-person FATT event registration opens at 7:00 AM on Friday, September 9th. The paddock is essentially a large parking lot. Gary and I will try to arrive a little early (6:45 am?) and put small (7 inch) orange cones around an area reserved for Lotus attendees to paddock together. We can't guarantee we will have a spot for you, but we will do our best to reserve enough spots to try to park together or near each other. Look for Marc Caden's red Exige and Gary Davis' Silver Elise... surrounded by a bunch of little orange cones marking our paddock area. Also, if you have a canopy tent and can fit it in your car or trailer... that would be great to set up as a group shelter (make sure you have something to weigh down the corners of your canopy tent).
The main thing for you to first accomplish between 7-8:00 AM on the day of the event is to empty your car out, register, and take your car through the tech line. That way you will be ready for the driver's meeting starting at 8:00 AM.
Other miscellaneous stuff:
1. There will likely be a parade lap at lunch. We would like to get as many Lotus as possible to go out on the parade lap and stop on the Karussell and get a picture of all of our cars for the Remarque magazine article on this event.
2. If any of you are willing to take some pictures of this event for our Remarque article, please let me know. No qualifications are needed and your pictures would be greatly appreciated.
3. There will be three Lotus driving instructors at this event: Marc Caden, Sam Youngman, and Jeff Cheng. If you are in an instructed group, you should feel free to find one of them and ask if they can be your instructor for the entire day.
4. At the end of the day when the event is over, Marc Caden & Gary Davis will lead a Lotus caravan from Summit Point to the LOG41 event at Canaan Valley. We will plan a comfort break midway to allow for snacks and refueling.

Event packet and details: FATT SPC Event Packet

Looking forward to seeing you on September 9, 2022!

·
Registered
980 Posts
@Jedifar do you have any footage of your Evora on Shenandoah? Looks like the track layout isn't available on sim so I've been trying to watch various track videos to get a feel for the track.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Jedifar do you have any footage of your Evora on Shenandoah? Looks like the track layout isn't available on sim so I've been trying to watch various track videos to get a feel for the track. If you're running non-solo, def ask for him as an instructor
So this will be my first time at Shenandoah circuit in my Evora, I've only ever driven main circuit there. But this is a great video from my buddy Marc (organizing the caravan) on the circuit who will be there instructing and someone I've riden with and can attest to his skill.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts