The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are older threads on this topic, but I am curious what the consensus or group thought currently is on everyone's favorite diffuser exit exhaust is?

I want to stay diffuser exit as I don't 100% love the back panel delete/exit look, so curious what you are running, or have run and moved on from?

I am currently eyeballing the SonicFury DE as I like the single tip look, the lack of drone, and ability to get loud when needed, but also like to hear other opinions that may be out there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree, also not a big fan of the back panel delete. However, I was looking into Larini SE dual tip above diffuser exhaust because you can keep the rear panel. For the rear grill it’s not too hard to find the euro style with the holes for the exhaust and it still keeps the covered look. If that’s not your fancy I’ve heard good things about the standard Larini sport exhaust which stays as a diffuser exit. You can see both examples on black watch racing website.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,587 Posts
I'm partial to the naked look and above diffuser exit. I'm not a fan of the exhaust going under the diffuser so I'd do as Crisandres said and go with the Euro look.

·
2006 Exige
977 Posts
I would love to hear a Sonic Fury in person, but I think that would be my next exhaust.

To further the through versus above diffuser discussion, I've added an article below. Having the exhaust exit above the diffuser is more than just visual preference.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Font Tread Publication

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would love to hear a Sonic Fury in person, but I think that would be my next exhaust.

To further the through versus above diffuser discussion, I've added an article below. Having the exhaust exit above the diffuser is more than just visual preference.
View attachment 1298430
View attachment 1298431
That’s a very informative article! It’s good to know that there’s some extra benefits to exhaust placement besides styling. Definitely gonna stick with my idea of the Larini twin exit above diffuser idea now.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s a very informative article! It’s good to know that there’s some extra benefits to exhaust placement besides styling. Definitely gonna stick with my idea of the Larini twin exit above diffuser idea now.
agreed, great article - I wonder how different it would be with the 5 element difflow diffuser that I have - the exhaust gets sectioned off MUCH more than the stock diffuser like they recommended

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
agreed, great article - I wonder how different it would be with the 5 element difflow diffuser that I have - the exhaust gets sectioned off MUCH more than the stock diffuser like they recommended
Honestly, unless you're a really experienced driver or trying to shave tenths. I doubt it matters much.

I really liked the sound of my larini sc sport. Sounds great even with the stock header and cat.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Great article, and you can find the longer PDF with more findings online (or I can send it, later, if you want). It goes incrimentally as they made adjustments and retested.

I don't like the naked rear (and my car came with the naked rear when I re-bought it) - so...

1- I've seen someone customize a BOE ST to wrap around and under. So, with a little bending/welding, any exhaust could work.
2- I like the Exige S oval tip exit look (vs smaller twin)
3- I love the euro look, over diffuser, twin tip. But - don't think it supports SC, and I've seen a few have heat issues on track cars.
4- While it's conclusive in the study that exiting under the diffuser negatively impacks flow, what wasn't tested was a diffuser exit with gates that start significantly BEFORE the exhaust hole and are taller than stock (such as the Difflow Railer Jr). I'd wager (but don't have the means to test) that adding the AeroPlates, and better gated diffuser could help mitigate the loss associated with diffuser exit.

And I'm putting my money where my mouth is on #4, as that's the parts I just bought, and the install I'm doing this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great article, and you can find the longer PDF with more findings online (or I can send it, later, if you want). It goes incrimentally as they made adjustments and retested.

I don't like the naked rear (and my car came with the naked rear when I re-bought it) - so...

1- I've seen someone customize a BOE ST to wrap around and under. So, with a little bending/welding, any exhaust could work.
2- I like the Exige S oval tip exit look (vs smaller twin)
3- I love the euro look, over diffuser, twin tip. But - don't think it supports SC, and I've seen a few have heat issues on track cars.
4- While it's conclusive in the study that exiting under the diffuser negatively impacks flow, what wasn't tested was a diffuser exit with gates that start significantly BEFORE the exhaust hole and are taller than stock (such as the Difflow Railer Jr). I'd wager (but don't have the means to test) that adding the AeroPlates, and better gated diffuser could help mitigate the loss associated with diffuser exit.

And I'm putting my money where my mouth is on #4, as that's the parts I just bought, and the install I'm doing this weekend.
haha, I ma pretty much there as well (Diffuser is on, albiet I went with the rounded variant, but still more elements) hence the ask on exhausts ;)

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,587 Posts
My car came with twin tip euro look. It was a Flowmaster or similar muffler with custom pluming to match the Euro rear. Worked fine with the stock supercharger on my Exige. As I got faster and spent more time on track I swapped that out, so not really sure if it would have created heat issues at some point or not.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,587 Posts
off topic - but Why? How do the two (euro exit, or maybe that exhaust specifically, and faster track times) relate?
The more time you spend on track the more you’ll be in upper RMPs and more fuel you’ll be going through vs. just starting out. This will kill catalytic converters. I also wanted to save some weight change diffusers and that required a different tow hook. Also not a fan of taking a single exhaust and splitting it into two.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The more time you spend on track the more you’ll be in upper RMPs and more fuel you’ll be going through vs. just starting out. This will kill catalytic converters. I also wanted to save some weight change diffusers and that required a different tow hook. Also not a fan of taking a single exhaust and splitting it into two.
Got it - and here's my reply which is summed up as "to each his/her own"
1- I don't track with my cat. Blown two that way, so I put a different mid-pipe on for track days.
2- weight - It frustrates me that we can't reach stock levels of "quiet" and shave weight. It IS much heavier, but I'll find ways to cut weigh elsewhere (battery, oil-ing system, etc)
3- splitting exhaust - agreed, but it is pretty though.

So, yeah, I think we're pretty aligned. The stock muffler can handle an SC high RPM, and keep things reasonably quiet (Laguna days, etc), if you're ok with the weight penalty.

·
Registered
2007 Elise VF2 Supercharged
18 Posts
I purchased my car with the Borla through diffuser exhaust. I absolutely love it. I run a SC with decat pipe. Nice and mellow while cruising with no drone. But it does get pretty wild over 5k rpms. I'm not sure if you could still find one and I'm curious if anyone else is still running one. (First image is before I cleaned it up to put it back on)
Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those tips are for sure more aggressive on the borla than the stock ones haha

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I kept a stock oval tip. Have it in the garage. Always debated building something, but using the stock exige s tip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did a bunch of YouTube searches with sound clips. I like the stock look but wanted something with a bit more volume and had some decel pop.
Ordered the Sonic fury DE.
Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
For me:
Larini CS w/ their decat pipe, Difflow (5 element rounded and block off plate) above diffuser exit using "the original" Sector111 naked rear kit.

I dig it 😎

·
Premium Member
2007 Elise
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did a bunch of YouTube searches with sound clips. I like the stock look but wanted something with a bit more volume and had some decel pop.
Ordered the Sonic fury DE.
Looking forward to it.
im curious what your thoughts are - and what the lead time is - I’m likely gonna be ordering mine end of this month or so

·
Registered
30 Posts
im curious what your thoughts are - and what the lead time is - I’m likely gonna be ordering mine end of this month or so
Was told by Stacy at Inokinetic they expect them to be back in stock at the end of October.
I think for those that like the more stock looking rear end it's the best option.
That's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts