The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys... I have the week off and want to try a different place every day breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Any recommendations? What ate your favorite places? I don't care for bars however I'm open to gastropubs.

Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Casey's Irish Pub downtown on Grand/Wilshire has a good BSA burger (Bacon Cheeseburger)

Chen's Chinese Restaurant on Broadway in Long Beach is pretty good

C&O Trattoria in Marina Del Rey is damn good Italian

Trabuco Oaks Steakhouse by Rancho Santa Margarita is (or was) pretty good

Skooby's Hotdogs on Hollywood Blvd is good for dogs n' fries

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
side door in corona del mar
father's office (not THAT special but worth a trip)
nicks in laguna or san clemente

if my wife were here I'm sure we could come up with a longass list

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I spent 11 years in Japan so I like good ramen. I went to Santouka in Costa Mesa with my daughter the other day and it was the best I've had in America. Daikokuya is also supposed to be good but I haven't had it. I got the salt broth and my daughter got the shoyu broth. Both were excellent. They also have cold noodles which are seasonal in Japan. Ramen noodles rinsed and cooled in a soy vinegar sauce with strips of ham, egg, cucumber and pickled ginger. Usually a bit of Chinese hot mustard on the side you can use to add some bite. I usually get gyoza too, but I've spoiled myself as mine are always better than any I've found here.

San

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
My favorite chicken and waffle place is now Bru's Wiffle on Wilshire in Santa Monica.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Huntington Beach - Duke's Hawaiian or Sandy's down below - great food
Santa Monica or Westwood - Falafel King
Melrose Avenue - Pink's Hot Dogs
Disney Downtown - House of Blues or ESPN Zone

·
Registered
368 Posts
are you looking for good food or fancy food?

auntie em's in eagle rock, weekend brunch specials are epic. Auntie Em's Kitchen

Animal, in wilshire district is quite good, assuming you are not vegetarian. animal restaurant

Pizza Mozzsa, kick ass pizza. http://www.pizzeriamozza.com/LA/home.cf

fathers office, good burgers and beer.

Umami burger, another good burger place. Umami Burger - Umami Restaurant Group - Umami Burger & Umamicatessen, Los Angeles, California

Jitladala, best thai food in los angeles (can be spicy as hell) JITLADALA.COM

something a bit more fancy...
The Loft at the montage resort has an amazing cheese tray. Laguna Beach Fine Dining | Montage Laguna Beach - The Loft | Fine Dining in Orange County

Bazzar, one of LAs best molecular gastronomy dining experiences, http://www.thebazaar.com/menus

Providence, I had my best meal of my life here (food, friends, service and experience, we ate for 5 hours...) if you are going to do it, get the chefs table with the tasting menu and wine paring. It will be really expensive but worth it. Providence LA

there are many others, but these are some of my favorites.

I love food... :clap:

AJ

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Price isn't a huge factor so long as you think it's worth it :)

I haven't tried many of the restaurants mentioned so it's a good start. I've heard good things about Providence so I may spring for it this weekend. Today I'll try Animal or The Bazaar.

I'm all ramened out lately but thank you for the recommendations, San. I've been to all the places you've mentioned and Santouka is definitely one of the better ramen bowls in LA. Tsujita on Sawtelle serves a spectacular bowl of ramen --better than Santouka, IMO. They only serve ramen during lunch (just so you know). Daikokuya was good but after having Santouka's Spicy Miso w/Special Pork, Tsujita's Tonkatsu and Ramadaya's Tonkatsu Cheese Ramen, Daikokuya now tastes very basic and not worth the typical 20-40min wait...It's still decent but it's now not even in the top 5 bowls on my best list.

Anyway, Keep the suggestions flowing in!

Thx guys

·
Registered
185 Posts
Some of my OC favorites:

-Crowburger kitchen in newport. Better than umami IMO and great beer selection/friendly bartenders.

-Rooster cafe in costa mesa. (great breakfast/lunch spot though they now serve dinner too)

-Portola coffee lab for a good cup of java or a snack.

-Javier's in Newport Coast or Irvine Spectrum -upscale mexican/seafood. VERY good.

-Habana in Costa Mesa. Good cuban restaurant with ambiance and good drinks.

-Bear Flag fish company in Newport. Great place to get a fresh piece of fish. Very laid back spot.

-Eat Chow in Costa Mesa or new Newport location on PCH. GREAT breakfast and very good dinner spot as well.

-Big Beli Deli Newport PCH. Good sandwiches pizzas and beers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My friends in OC always take us to Kimmie's Coffee Cup when we visit. Great breakfast!

Kimmie's Coffee Cup

This last visit they took us to Troy's Drive In for breakfast burritos. REALLY GOOD!

Troy's Drive In - Orange, CA

Lunch and dinner mainly consists of In N Out for us in OC since we live in TX and never get it. (we are getting one in Round Rock next year!)

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
Mandarin Noodle House in Monterey Park for pot stickers and noodles

Black Angus (not the American steak house) in Korea Town for Yuk Hwe (raw beef)

The Pantry in DTLA for the porkchop breakfast

Micelli's in Studio City for the clam linguini in white sauce and you get serenaded by the staff while eating, quite an experience

Pacific Dining Car for any steak, Flemings too in LA Live, order the lava cake

Water Grill off 5th/Olive for the chilled seafood tower

Waters in Irvine for lakeside dining, great fish

Newcomb's Ranch up 26.3 miles from the base of Angeles Crest Highway for their excellent ahi tuna sandwich, and get a great drive in some of the best roads in SoCal

I'm sure I will think of more... I have been on a diet lately... trying to cut back a bit.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Thanks for the ramen recommendations Squidward. I'll be sure to check out the places you've recommended.

San

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of my OC favorites:
Thanks boardertj! I'll definitely check out Crowburger if you think it's better than Umami (and I LOOOOOVE Umami!).

In Laguna Beach (I think), there's Las Brisas which has a pretty good champagne brunch. Great Margaritas and nice breezy outdoor dining experience.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure I will think of more... I have been on a diet lately... trying to cut back a bit.
yeah I hear ya.. We're both getting to the age when diet is a consideration.. I hate that. The Pantry rocks, but my gal thinks it's too heavy (it is!). But c'mon it's comfort food. Haven't tried the porkchop, so definitely next time I'll order that. thx for the suggestion.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
yeah I hear ya.. We're both getting to the age when diet is a consideration.. I hate that. The Pantry rocks, but my gal thinks it's too heavy (it is!). But c'mon it's comfort food. Haven't tried the porkchop, so definitely next time I'll order that. thx for the suggestion.
I lost ten pounds recently by dieting and now I am back to about where I am before I bought the Lotus and started eating out with you guys all the time.

Feels good to fit my clothes well again and not having to feel like a poorly stuffed sausage.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was mainly dissapointed at how small Umami's burgers were. If I'm gonna pay 12-15 I expect to be full or at least satisfied. They're tiny!

Thanks boardertj! I'll definitely check out Crowburger if you think it's better than Umami (and I LOOOOOVE Umami!).

In Laguna Beach (I think), there's Las Brisas which has a pretty good champagne brunch. Great Margaritas and nice breezy outdoor dining experience.
I really like Las Brisas. I've never tried their bar menu but the patio always seems packed when I'm there.

With all this talk of food, me thinks we need to set up a lunch/PCH drive before summer ends.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was mainly dissapointed at how small Umami's burgers were. If I'm gonna pay 12-15 I expect to be full or at least satisfied. They're tiny!
Yeah that seems to be a common complain from most people. I don't mind the size. Yes could be bigger but to be honest I usually order a a couple of other items that completes my meal. Quality is always preferred over quantity, at least me for me :) I almost always order the Truffle Burger which is incredibly savory. The Triple Pork Burger is also a treat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the truffle burger and yes it's reallll good. If you check out Crow, be sure to get blue cheese aoli on your burger or at least on the side with some duckfat fries.
mmmmmmm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts