The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an S240 and I HATE the stock exhaust. It needs to go.

What are some exhausts I should look into? I'm not into the single tip exhausts that stick out from the side of the car...I'd like to keep it fairly stock-looking, dual tips would be ideal.

When I had the Elise, I loved the Stage 2 exhaust with the pops and burbles - this may sound stupid, but would the Elise Stage 2 exhaust go well on the S240? Would that achieve a similar sound? What else should I look into? I prefer a stock look, but something that has oomph to it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Graham

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I can't help ya, but here I'm quoting from this thread...
I will do my best to clarify...

Stage 1 - two tips that protrude strait out the back. Very big - almost like stock in appearance and sound to standard NA exhaust. part # LOTAC05334

This is only for NA cars and has a mild sound enhancement

Here is where things get complicated...

Stage 2 - has 2 tips that sit level with the diffuser. Smallest and lightest exhaust Lotus offers at this time. Also the loudest. part # LOTAC05335

This exhaust was originally developed for the normally aspirated engine but was also used on supercharged Exige Cup cars up till 2009 - even the Cup 255 offered this very exhaust as a no cost option (without cat though). Original stage 2 exhausts suffered from weld issues that caused cracks at certain points but Lotus changed manufacturers and current versions are now built by Janspeed. The Janspeed versions do not suffer from the same weld problems and are generally trouble free.

Stage 3 - has 1 tip that sit level with the diffuser. Also built by Janspeed and slightly larger muffler than stage 2 and slightly quieter. part # LOTAC05450

Lotus designed this specifically for the supercharged cars - primarily to tone down the resonance and loud sound db's of the NA Stage 2. When this exhaust came out in early 2007 - the Exige S was already for sale in the US for a few months before - and this exhaust was called the Supercharged stage 2. The diameter of the pipe connecting to the cat is the same as the NA stage 2 (and stage 1 for that matter - it really has to be to be able to fit). What is different (other than the size of the muffler and sound baffling) is the diameter of the pipe exiting the muffler to the tip is the same (2.5 in) diameter as the inlet. Some argue this is important for a supercharged car to breathe. Some argue there is no difference at this point in the exhaust system - especially with the bend needed to get through the diffuser anyway.

Ever since 2005 there had been rumors of a stage 3 kit in the planning stages that also included some kind of intake and filter enhancement - even pictures were circulated at one point of this system - but it never was distributed by Lotus. So to add another layer to all this confusion - some people who were involved with Lotus then think of this when they hear stage 3. It really hasn't been until recently that this single tipped exhaust was called stage 3. The first reference to it as a stage 3 was in the Lotus Sport accessory catalog. It seems now that a new one just came out and they are continuing with calling it a stage 3 that it is sticking. So no matter what, at this point if you have a single tip, non standard, Lotus exhaust - you have the stage 3.

Albert, to answer your question about --

They made it to tone down the resonance and sound for a supercharged car rather than what the NA stage 2 produced. Lotus took the opportunity to ensure the larger diameter pipe exited the muffler as well.

And yes, fitting a stage 3 to a NA car will cause it to produce a slightly different sound but it shouldn't be radically different. The normally aspirated engine's 2nd cam (when standard) kicks in differently than a supercharged car (who's 2nd cam variably kicks in throughout the RPM's instead of all at once). The FI in the intake and breathability differences between a NA and supercharged car also affect the sound.

Bottom line -
  • Fitting a NA stage 2 (with dual tips) to a supercharged car can be done (as I said it was fitted to the CUP cars up till 2008) but it is going to be LOUD and produce a great deal of in cabin resonance. So Lotusforsale, if you want the loudest Lotus exhaust you want the stage 2 # LOTAC05335
  • Fitting a stage 1, 2, or 3 exhaust (or any exhaust for that matter) will not enhance HP. Even if it did help - the ECU would compensate for that enhancement and adjust out the improvement.
  • Stage 3 has a single tip - if you have a single tip exhaust by Lotus that isn't the stock exhaust then you have a stage 3. When it was released this was also known as the stage 2 exhaust but now Lotus Sport seems to be continuing with calling it a stage 3.
  • Having a custom ECU tune, LSD, intake, filter and snorkle modifications will change the loudness of the exhaust. You can't easily compare cars that have differences in these areas.

Sorry it is so long but I hope this helps clear up some confusion :eek:
I also found LotusSport brochure
http://www.lotusdriversguide.com/Downloads/Brochures/Lotus Sport brochure January 2008.pdf

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have the stage 3 exhaust on my Exige. It's loud, pops and gurgles and drones on the highway but does have a great sound. I much prefer the Larini SC Sport. They just weren't making it at the time I purchased my exhaust and sector111 didn't know if/when they were getting more.

Congrats on the new car......I had too much separation anxiety to let mine go right now. :crazyeyes

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I have a 2bular GT3 de-cat exhaust that makes the car sound like a real race car...not a sowing machine like the OEM exhaust. It does not pop. It does not gurgle. It's not too loud. And it does make more HP than any other mod I did to my car...and still without a tune.

·
Super Moderator
6,820 Posts
I've owned quite a few, including the Stage II. The Stage II's have way too much drone and don't sound that good when opened up. The Quicksilver sounded the best and had incredible gurgle and pop, but some drone. The Larini Sport sounded almost as good as the Quicksilver and had some gurgle and pop, with less drone than the Quicksilver. I now use a 2Bular 8" on my Sport 260, which has zero drone and is pretty quiet at low revs, but still some gurgle and pop and sounds great when really opened up.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In my humble opinion this is the best exhaust:

The Larini SC Sport from Sector 111

Larini SC Sport

It makes all the right noises (pops on throttle lift) but doesn't drone and has a more "mature" note than the Lotus stage 2, which to me, sounds a bit tinny and cheap and the drone drove me batty. Plus it looks 100% stock.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I love the Larini SC sport sound, but I'm not a big fan of the look... I prefer the dual side exit.

Through another thread, a guy and I found a custom exhaust made by a racing team in Italy that sounds .... UGH!!! AMAZING! That's what I plan on buying. It's not bolt-on, though.

We found it through this video:
Apparently he has the Santilli exhaust and Supersprint headers

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had quite a few, your best bet is a repackable exhaust. You will burn it out on the street. So Either 2ubler or boe offer that. I have the 2ublar gt3 7" above diffuser and It's by far the best sounding. No drone, can talk at highway speed but it's mature and mean wot.

Other issue is all exhausts except for 2ublar will try to separate from cat. 2ublar offers vbands to hold them together and it works.

·
Registered
391 Posts
2bular rebuildable. I had the Janspeed Stage II .....very loud and drone prone. 2bular is not as loud does not drone and still sounds awesome and it is rebuildable when you burn it out......and you will burn it out. Jim at 2bular does beautiful work and has many options depending on your desires.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions! I like the euro-style dual tip, I may have to get that done down the line.

For those that have had the Stage 2 on the Exige, was the drone WORSE than an Elise? I didn't mind the drone at all on my Elise, but then again, it was purely a weekend car.

Graham

·
Registered
219 Posts
My S240 came with a stage 3 exhaust and I'm not really a fan of it. The volume is acceptable but it is very boomy and gets annoying after a while. I'd rather have something with a higher tone and much less drone. I plan on replacing it with something else but it's hard to tell from various YouTube clips which ones sound good.

I wish Arqray made an exhaust that worked with FI cars. The single-tip on my 06 Exige was the bees knees.

·
Registered
405 Posts
2bular GT3 decat. No drone and reasonably quiet until you get on it. Very hard to resist full throttle through tunnels and underpasses. Also, versus the stock system, you get a very significant weight savings.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm a fan of the BOE silent touch with decat. I have tried many of the aftermarket options, but this one I love and get tons of positive comments about the sound.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Larini supercharged sport.. I just picked up s240 today too and selling my elise and it has this exhaust on it ... I liked it so much I'm taking it off elise to put on exige
Did you end up getting Riz's car? :drool: I was so tempted to pull the trigger on that... If it wasn't a bit over my budget, I would have jumped on that one in a second!! That car was incredible.

Graham

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Yes drove it home in the chance 50 degree weather we had between NJ and upstate NY. Car is flawless it looks like it came off showroom floor. Even the leather smells brand new... Best part he didn't touch one thing.. 0% molested! Good luck w yours too! Got a great Elise for sale in the auto sale section if anybody is interested.. Car is great too

[/B]
Did you end up getting Riz's car? :drool: I was so tempted to pull the trigger on that... If it wasn't a bit over my budget, I would have jumped on that one in a second!! That car was incredible.

Graham

1 - 20 of 24 Posts