Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Can’t restore one of these cars with a realistic budget. I know this up close and personal.

Restoration of 2358R

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
I enjoyed catching up on it all. It all has resonance with me because after 6 months I got a low mileage 1989 Jaguar XJS back to life. I like how he said the real work comes after the engine turns over... don't I know it!

Just the same, I got lucky with my rolling project that came with a parts car! So now to sort out those brakes, including those inboard rear ones...

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Allow me to introduce another piece by Rob.

Eulogy to his mom who recently died.

IMO, a terrific, maybe brilliant bit of writing:

HackBlog

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Dunno how people spend that much on machine shops when they do the assembly themselves. Unless something was seriously wrong. Custom pistons? Why?
20k miles its not going to need line boring or valve follower sleeves.....seriously the only thing fussier on these than your average SBC is guides and seats, and the guides only because the lack of valve seals means an average guide clearance is seriously worn out

Bead blast the cam cover....no, no,no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, the good news is he get to get good at T/C rebuilds.....

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Enjoyed the read. Having had an Europa, brought back memories.

We do these things because we enjoy the process. Return on the dollar is not even relevant.

And love for the remarkable little cars.

3BE95E53-09E5-45C9-A7C1-C0DCAED054BF.jpg

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
814 Posts
As I always say when asked about my car habit, and as I explained to my wonderful spouse a long time ago, "It's a hobby, not a business. One does not expect to make money at a hobby. As hobbies go, it has a lot going for it: you can do a lot of it at home, nobody throws you in jail for practicing it, you can avoid self injury and can do it for many decades, you end up with something tangible and rewarding, and all it costs is money and time. But don't think you're going to make money restoring a depreciating asset unless you're very picky and very lucky, especially if you add in the value of your labor. The cheapest way to get a neat old car is to buy it restored, not restore it yourself."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts