The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you are interested in low weight you should start a list showing where weight reductions are feasible and what they will cost.

For the beginning:

Magnesium wheels

MMC or carbon- ceramic brake rotors.

Titanium whish bones

Titanium drive shafts.

Carbon and Kevlar fibres instead of glass fibres plus Epoxy - instead of Polyester resins

Exhaust piping and silencer in titanium instead of steel. (Also good for power output)

Smaller alternator and battery.

Carbon - Kevlar fibre seats.

Rear window in polycarbonate (Lexan), does not break when stones fly over the windscreen.( thathas happened already some times!)

I am sure there are still more.

Perhaps your Elise must not be spelled the “Fat Elise” anymore though a 650 kg will be very difficult and expensive to reach.:)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Polycarbonate clam shells. ( the clear stuff that is used for RC cars).
Tony Shute hillclimbs a rescued 340R mule that uses polycarbonate clothing.
Weighs less than GRP and is recyclable.
The mutant is called the Expose.
Cost?? AFAIK only one has been built :shrug:
m.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
What you're retaining the AC? (j/k). Lotus Sport sells a full carbon fiber body made by them (not the French subcontractor who makes the normal body) for the S1 - presumably they will make bits for the s2 cars. The motor itself can be lightened a bit via a CF valve cover and intake. The battery you mentioned can be replaced with a small dry cell unit from Hawker to save something like 15-25 pounds and it could be relocated towards the middle of the car which also cuts the length of thick copper wiring and helps the polar MOI. The stock oil cooler and plumbing weight 29 pounds - there must be a lighter way to do this. One or both of the electric fans could be removed. The brake discs could also be scalloped to cut about 25% of their weight. The CF seats out there weigh about 4 pounds apiece! Plastic windows.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to forget:

In Europe there are some Elises with an aluminium fuel tanks which do not corrode and save some kg, too. But alternatively a fuel tank made out of Kevlar reinforced epoxy resign might be possible, too. Such tank can use the available space in the car better and therefore may have I a bigger volume than a flat and straight steel tank.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
The Atkins Diet too :D Cheapest way to lighten the load!
My Liz is lighter by 41.5 lbs thanks to Weight Watchers and a good cardio workout routine :clap:
I find getting in much easier and I have more room once in. I'm now perfectly lean:) Like Chris said, this is easiest way to make your Elise weigh less. If you haven't got your car yet and have some time to go now’s the time to get in shape:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts