The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine died the last time I used it, so I get to shovel today. I'm gettin' too old for this much exercise.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Here's an awful stat:

- Chicago had 10.7" of snow all of last winter. If you include Monday's 7-8", we've have over 71".

- I used my snowblower twice all last year. I've used it at least times (and two gallons of gas) this season.

- Tuesday was the first day since before Christmas that the daytime temperature was above freezing.

We got a good melt over the last two days, but it's chilly today with like 50mph winds. Saw super cold again next week and pulling down the monthly forecast doesn't show consistent temps in the 40's until after St. Patty's Day.

Very much looking forward to the 6 days this year I can drive my Elise.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Very much looking forward to the 6 days this year I can drive my Elise.
...a little optimistic there, aren't we Jeff?

rotfl

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Last time I flew home to New England I had this warm feeling that I was home. I cant describe it. It just felt that I was where I was meant to be! Then I thought back to my teenage years. We had a 3 acre corner lot. When it snowed I had to shovel all the sidewalks and the huge circular drive! My dad would wake me early every morning (middle of the night early) so I could shovel the driveway so he could get the car out. Then after school I had to shovel the sidewalks and the entire circular drive. Do you know how much sidewalk a 3 acre corner lot had? Hours and hours of shoveling. Heck, I even got a new snow shovel for Christmas! Then I fly back home and think of how I never have to shovel a single flake of snow ever again! Thank God!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snow Piles... We've had our plowing guys push back the snow in our parking lot three times this winter. The piles are getting pretty impressive!

·
Less is Better
2,882 Posts
Snow Piles... We've had our plowing guys push back the snow in our parking lot three times this winter. The piles are getting pretty impressive!

That's how I remember Minnesota on the iron range as a kid. It's rarely like that any more.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
What's all that white stuff?

This was our weekend weather

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I dunno, I saw on the news when Atlanta got like ... 0.5 inches of snow and everyone flipped ****. We drive in blizzards up here!
It was more like 1.5 inches, thank you!

·
Registered
663 Posts
You also havce snowplows, salt, sand and snow tires

Atlanta's got nothin......

Here in Dayton OH we are presently at the 4th or 5th in the record books for totaly snow for the year. A whopping 45 ish inches if I recall..... We can do OK with a few inches but when we get 6-10+ inches the town kinda shuts down..... for many of your northerns or people in the mountains thats just a dusting :)

I get to push snow with a jeepp wrangler and a plow.... gave up on using snow blowers and tractors pulling a plow years ago :)

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I feel for anyone who has to remove their snow with a bucket loader. I got 34" last week alone, and have piles like this all around my driveway. There's a 350Z and Boxster trapped in there that will be there until May. Fortunately, the Evora is in another garage that's plowed out and I have hopes of driving it by late April.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My son lives about 2.5 hours north of me, in Duluth, MN. There, the frost line has exceeded 8' deep, and the water mains in the streets are freezing. His home has been without water for a week. They've been melting snow to bathe, and using the bath water to flush the toilet (so far the sewer still works). Try raising three kids aged 5 and under without clean water. Clearing snow from the driveway & sidewalks, and driving on icy hills (Duluth is all hills) are minor issues by comparison. They're coming to the Twin Cities this weekend just to enjoy turning on a tap.

Bill Cosby on using a clutch on San Francisco's hills:
God: ... So, how did you die?
Bill: ..... I rolled backwards into 'The Bay'.
God: ... You're going to Hell !!

Okay, 26th Ave E in Duluth is the same story, except it's a steep four block long toboggan run in the winter, and it ends at Lake Superior instead of the 'The Bay'. My son lives near the bottom, and light entertainment is to grab a beer, sit by the dining room window and watch the sliders pirouette by. I told him he needs to make up score cards he can hold up... 9.9, offered with an impressed nod of appreciation.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
My son lives about 2.5 hours north of me, in Duluth, MN. There, the frost line has exceeded 8' deep, and the water mains in the streets are freezing. His home has been without water for a week. They've been melting snow to bathe, and using the bath water to flush the toilet (so far the sewer still works). Try raising three kids aged 5 and under without clean water. Clearing snow from the driveway & sidewalks, and driving on icy hills (Duluth is all hills) are minor issues by comparison. They're coming to the Twin Cities this weekend just to enjoy turning on a tap.

Bill Cosby on using a clutch on San Francisco's hills:
God: ... So, how did you die?
Bill: ..... I rolled backwards into 'The Bay'.
God: ... You're going to Hell !!

Okay, 26th Ave E in Duluth is the same story, except it's a steep four block long toboggan run in the winter, and it ends at Lake Superior instead of the 'The Bay'. My son lives near the bottom, and light entertainment is to grab a beer, sit by the dining room window and watch the sliders pirouette by. I told him he needs to make up score cards he can hold up... 9.9, offered with an impressed nod of appreciation.

Regards,
Tim Engel
"Come around, Fool!" - Bill Cosby

Yeah, I have often said that Duluth is San Francisco with ice. They love their Subarus up there. I once had to back up a hill in my SAAB to get my buddy Russ up to his house.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Regards,
Tim Engel
I do feel sorry for your son and his family being without water. Once the water mains start freezing, it seems like they will keep freezing with the arctic vortex coming back. I guess they could flow more water through the system at various points to help stop the freezing in the mains. BTW, in my area of Michigan the mains are buried 5 ft. deep. Hope we will be ok here.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts