The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought a set of factory shop manuals with every car, and hope to do the same with the Elise. Is this difficult?

Some manufacturers turn a blind eye toward full-scale reproduction of their manuals -- Suzuki, for example.

Others (Saturn) see it as a profit center and sell it piecewise.

Nissan had the best offering -- 100% on-line PDFs, nicely indexed and yours for the downloading for $20/day. Over 1000 pages of inscrutible diagrams! Or ~$200 for a CD-ROM.

How hard are Lotus shop manuals to come by? Do they even exist?

I'm mostly in it for the wiring diagrams -- what color wire in what bundle goes where.. factory torque specifications for major nuts & bolts.. Even if it falls short of a full engine teardown, it would be nice to buy one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
you can order them at your local Lotus dealer.

A120T0325J SERVICE PARTS LIST 159,18 €
A120T0327J SERVICE NOTES 178,06 €
A120T0328L LABOUR TIMES SCHEDULE 55,68 €
B120T0327J ENGINE REPAIR MANUAL (1) 97,40 €
C120T0327J ENGINE REPAIR MANUAL (2) 48,91 €
D120T0327J TRANSMISSION REPAIR MANUAL 29,27 €

Prices are given from a German dealer. The latter three manuals concerning engine and transmission are *not* worth buying, the are genuine Toyota manuals without any reference to Lotus. They can be obtained at a Toyota dealer for a lot less money.
AFAIK (my information is dated 04/2004) the ServiceNotes as well as the LabourTimesSchedule are not yet available, the PartsList is not yet complete. I myself have bought the PartsList A120T0325J, no engine parts are documented right now, but the foreword says, part 2 of this manual will be available FOC at a later time (for those who have bought it before completion).

Funnily, the manuals do document the 111R, the ExigeS2 as well as the FedElise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ordered a 'workshop manual set' from my local dealer when I got my 111R

After some weeks, I took delivery of the Service Notes, Engine Repair 1 & 2, and Transmission Repair as per Stefans post.

The Service Notes are very educational - lots of detail about the 111R and Exige - very worthwhile to an elise owner even if you never plan to work on the car.

As Stefan notes, the other 3 manuals are direct from Toyota, and really are targeted at a professional workshop.

Cheers

NevB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stefan,

Yep, I've had it for maybe a month now.

First thing I did was buy an OBD connector at Jaycar and wire in another 12V power source for my GTech Competition Pro.

[in fact, the OBD wiring is readiliy available on the web, so I didnt need the workshop manual, but it was fun anyhow]

Cheers,

NevB

PS: One thing the Exige has [missing on the 111R] is battery posts under the front left bonnet cover - much easier 12V access.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
What about the rest of the car? Suspension? Interior? etc. Will there be a bunch more manuals?

I hope they will make everything available for a reasonable price. Electronic form would be great, a CD or a payed download. Otherwise people will buy the "backup copies" that will probably be available on e-bay soon enough...

·
Registered
100 Posts
All the non-Toyota stuff is covered in the Service Manual, ie interior, electrical, suspension, brake systems, etc

I dont expect Lotus will have an electronic version anytime soon, but some energetic souls have scanned and PDFd the S2 Service Manual, so I'm sure the 111R/Fed Elise version will hit the web eventually [not from this little black duck though]

Cheers

NevB

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the details! I'm excited to hear that a complete manual set is already available for the 111R, even from such a low-volume manufacturer. I guess they need something to give the service shops too. :)

NevR: You mentioned the OBD pinout -- one of the first things I would look up. Do you think you could post the pinout for the 111R when you get a chance? Specifically, I'm anxious to find out if it has high-speed or low-speed CANbus available on it, with HS usually on pins 6 & 14. THANKS!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keep in mind that the 111R wiring might be different to the Fed Elise ...

Anyhow, here is the 111R OBD :

pin 01: not used
pin 02: not used
pin 03: not used
pin 04: GND
pin 05: GND
pin 06: CAN_H
pin 07: ECU pin 58
pin 08: not used

pin 09: not used
pin 10: not used
pin 11: not used
pin 12: ABS
pin 13: not used
pin 14: CAN_L
pin 15: ECU pin 73
pin 16: 12V

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh cool, score! Let's hope we get the same (T4 ECU from EFI Tech?).

CANBus allows all kind of detailed datalogging and instrumenting that were just too slow to be useful on OBD-II.

It's more useful on a car where everything from power windows to the radio is controlled by CAN, but still, it should have a wealth of engine info.

It's also the most likely place to find our Black Box recording of past performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts