The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest issue of EVO (070) compares trackday cars. In that comparison they pit the Renault Clio against the Vauxhall 220 turbo (limited edition), the Elise 111R (standard suspension) and the Exige S2. They report that the handling of the Exige in the wet (with A048 tires) is exceptional, and it is their wet track day favorite. That is good news after seeing the lighty treaded A048s.

In all of the tests I've read it appears that the Exige is truly something to behold on the track or on the road. I understand that other than the spoiler and splitter, the Exige and the 111R sport pack are the same car. Same suspension, brakes, tires and (probably) wheel weight. Is this true? I could not find the actual data to compare.

For those of us who have ordered the 111R with sport package only, can we rely on Exige testing for the performance profile? This appears to be the set up used by Car and Driver in its July 2004 cover story, and the results are impressive.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The exige's design provides for a LOT of downforce. So it will handle better at speed than the Fed Elise. Its not a head to head comparison.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to see a head to head between the Fed Elise with std. set up, Fed Elise with LSS and Exige. I guess we will have to wait until EVO or Car gets around to such a test.

Other than the downforce-producing aero kits, is the Fed. Elise (LSS) the same as the S2 Exige??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That the A048 tires provide excellent wet grip should come as no surprise.
Just about any R comp tire, once it reaches operating temp range will outstick a street radial in the wet at 70* plus ambient.
It is standing water, however that would be the fatal problem for R comps.
m.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>It is standing water, however that would be the fatal problem for R comps. <<

Very true! And here in the North East it seldom rains super hard such that there is a great deal of standing water. Wet roads as opposed to roads with a half inch deep water coating are greatly different! I use G-Force KDs (KD = Killer Dry) and they are absolutely fine and safe in wet but not flooded condions. As long as the ambient temps are above around 45-50 F. At say 40 F they can feel like someone coated them with oil. And if it snows, you can park the car and leave it in gear and the tires will spin forever with no grip. This is due to a thing called the glass transition temperature which basically means that below some temp the rubber can no longer conform to the surface of the road. That road surface conforming aspect is one of the primary components of grip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ive driven both - the Exige is just the same as an S211R but with different suspension and tyres...pretty much the same as an S2 with LSS and A048s.

the old Exige set-up used to be 100Kg downforce ish at 100mph....but the new one is only 40Kg ish at 100mph - cant see that making much difference...in fact the rear wing is so floppy I cant see as if it does much at all !

So yes - put the LSS and A048's on your S2111R, get a geo check and away you go - 99% the same setup as an Exige...in fact probably quicker in a straight line due to drag ;)

I have the same set-up on my car (dont run A048s on the road though) and its great....anyone would think its a new thing...its been around for 3 years now....its just that the car mags have actually got an off the shelf product to review with that set-up...before all they had was the Sport 135R and Sport 190 which both got rave reviews.

Strangely enough the Sport 190 on A048s was slated by EVO in a review for poor wet weather performance...along comes the new Exige with the same tyres...and its the best car in the wet ! ....if only they were consistent it might actually mean something ;)

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
bogie said:
the old Exige set-up used to be 100Kg downforce ish at 100mph....but the new one is only 40Kg ish at 100mph - cant see that making much difference...in fact the rear wing is so floppy I cant see as if it does much at all !

Strangely enough the Sport 190 on A048s was slated by EVO in a review for poor wet weather performance...along comes the new Exige with the same tyres...and its the best car in the wet ! ....if only they were consistent it might actually mean something ;)
The wing on the S2 Exige vibrates!? Are you sure. I don't think it would be made out of weak materials.

I think the difference in the rating of the A048 between S190 and Exige is the added downforce and suspension(?) of the S2 Exige. So it would surprise me that the S190 was rated lower.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yep - my friend has an S2 Exige - its fastened onto the flexible boot lid by 2 bolts - you can move it with your hands very easily !

Sport 190 S2 and Exige share most of the same set-up....well different design wheels maybe....just seems strange how those tyres are poor in the wet on one S2 and 'the best' on another ;)...theres not that much difference between the cars - Ive driven them and other than the Exige being more comfy I couldnt tell the difference...what a year or so makes in magazine reviews

1 - 9 of 9 Posts