The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day LT fellows!

I am trying to convert the aftermarket intake from a FED 2005 Elise back to stock for the strict California smog / emission test. While the MAP is easy to figure out, base on the emission sticker it is a bit tough to figure the other hoses, especially the one going to intake manifold.

Quick search from LT with lots of aftermarket intake post but no stock airbox / intake install... can anyone please share some photos on where do the hoses coming from airbox connect to?

Here's some photos of for reference. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7480.jpg IMG_7481.jpg IMG_7482.jpg IMG_7483.jpg IMG_7485.jpg IMG_7484.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where do you get that airbag?
Is this a Lotus part, or a Toyota Celica ... "Pick & Pull" part?

The red hose, withe the one-way check valve should slid onto the vacuum tit under the throttle body on the intake manifold, towards the bulkhead.

There is a a grey connector that plugs into the reddish electrical (solenoid?).

You may not have the coolant loop on the Idle Control Valve (ICV) ... which they'll catch ... if no hoses are connected. Seems ALL ICVs have the warm-up coolant loop, so the SMOG station will look for the hoses, as the poke around.

Please open the airbag and post some picks of the vacuum reservoir, and a close-up or two of the electrical connector, and the flapper valve inside the outbox. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated!

The Elise was purchased used with aftermarket airbox, but also included the original airbox (or so I was told ;) ) which I am trying to put back to pass smog...

I will try to take more photos and share, thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I can figure so far, but still having hard time figuring where those hoses go...
IMG_7654_1.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
What I am seeking to figure out, which will interest you, is just what is what inside the airbag.
The MASS sensor is straight forward, and it includes the temperature thermistor. You can "clean" this with a MASS sensor spray cleaner available from any autocrats store, or online.
That needed to be done, and if it is dirty, you'll get a smoother engine. That said, they seem to work ... not set codes ... even when dirty.

Where is the vacuum reservoir? That white-item inside the airbox? If so, then it has a connection for one of the vacuum tubes. From the diagram, it holds the vacuum from the engine intake, similar to the vacuum chamber of the early Elans ands their vacuum operated pop-up headlights.

That electrical connector must operate a solenoid (S) to then apply a vacuum to the "Air Box Flap" and do you have a close-up of that item?
Does it open to the outside? If so, then it has to be on the dirty-side of the air filter.

Then, besides an inquiring SMOG tech, who might be looking to see this plugged in, what the heck does this do?
For example, what happens at Idle: engine cold and hot. What happens at higher rpms, again, cold to hot engine (which is only via the coolant temp and the MASS sensor)?
Or, is it just something that "happens" at a given ambient air temperature?

One can see that this is feed 12V from splice AE, which feeds most of the sensors and actuators on the engine.
That means the red/blue wire goes to a low-side driver on the ECU ... operating that solenoid (is my assumption).

it doesn't appear the when unplugged (missing !!) ... it does not set a fault code.
I do not find any fault code that is associated with this vacuum solenoid on the air box.

I also do not think it is something that is "on" fr a long time, as then it would heat the solenoid's coil, but as a PWM low-side driver, then the duty-cycle could be reduced once it is first activated.

Maybe somebody with a Toyota Engine manual, what this "thing" does, and why, might be explained.

Now, as to what YOU need to do to get past SMOG.
Just re-install this stock airbag.
Clean the MASS sensor.
Since that is the dirty part of the engine, use electrical contact spray cleaner of the socket-terminals of the connector, if dirty.
Maybe a little dielectric or Nye gel on the connectors rubber seal ... so the next time someone try to unplug it, it isn't "frozen in place" ... (my pet peeve about these connectors)
The three vacuum hoses will "fit" ... and you can check that one-way valve by "sucking on it" ... and then the other two ends will fit some tits on the airbag.

If you run the engine, unplug the solenoid and see if it sets a fault, or the engine does not idle Smooth? I am curious.

Thank you

·
Registered
211 Posts
why doe sit change "airbox" to airbag ? Ok, so it wants 'air box' ... whatever.
changes the word long after one has moved on ... just like Apple messages ! errr.

·
Registered
211 Posts
btw, you'll notice the air box is bolted to the bulkhead by bolts from "inside" the air box. One section is attached to the car, and the other higher part is lock in place by those two clips.
It is a royal PIA to do with the clamshell on, but if you remove the wheel (and maybe the fender liner ... I can say) then it is all exposed and a human can install it, install a new filter, and 'snap" this darn clips inplace.

Ps, let see if this GUI changes the works when I hut "post reply" ?? are we taking bets?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Question?
Is the air box on a Toyota Celica GTS (2ZZ-GE engine) the same as on the Elise?

I can't believe Lotus would have made/used a different airbox, but since the ERCU is different, they'd have had to completed some emission certification, so a different air box (from where?) could have been selected.

Any know?

Seeking the whole thing ... with that solenoid, vacuum chamber, one-way check valve, and 'flap' ...

Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is there a Toyota part number molded on the air box .... anywhere?

It does not look like the one for the Celica GTS ... so maybe off another Toyota vehicle?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the insight... I love the RTFM part except used car doesn't always comes with that, and glad you are sharing :)

And yes, in order to comply with smog test, all I need is to replace the aftermarket airbox with the stock one, and only road block was to figure where those plastic hoses connects to... I already cleaned the MAF and got the new air filter so that part should already be taken care of.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like based on the feedbacks we need some extra bolts and vacuum reservoir as well... ouch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
... RTFM ??

My page 7 has NOTHING to do with the Air Box, and nor do any of the other pages.
Nothing in a 4" thick manual has anything on the air box vacuum system, or what it does.

Page 7 is the engine Overhaul Notes page.

... just saying.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts