The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It only has 200 miles on it but here are my thoughts:

1. Precision.
One word that I think sums up the Elise is "precise." The space between the seat and roll bar are precise. No more, no less. Space in the seat is exactly what's needed. No more, no less.

Most of all, the handling in precise. There were times I had to correct my steering because my inputs were not in the direction I wanted to go in. In other cars, (the Boxster) you have some leeway. It's a bit more forgetting. The Elise will go exactly were you tell it to go, whether you mean it or not. It does what you say, not what you mean. In that regards, I'd say it does what it's suppose to do very well. The driver's input needs to be precise.

2. Sensory Feedback.
I had trouble keeping up a conversation with Dan (my salesperson) because of all the sensory feedback I was getting. The sound of the engine, the feel of the car, the feel of the road, the close interior, the slightly lower point of view. A bit hard to concentrate.

3. Attention-getter.
I'm not an person who likes attention, but geesh! I think enough has been said about that. I think I'd be keeping the top on most of the time.

4. The clutch.
Modulating the clutch was the hardest part of the test drive for me. Not bad, but I just need to get use to it. The brakes are good, but like others said, there's a bit of initial travel before the bite.

5. The power.
Power was good. I was limited to 5,500 but it always seemed adequate. Like other have said, the Elise rev's very Elise. In my Boxster, I feel a sense of protest and engine noise between (3,000 and 4,000 rpm before the cam shift). I didn't get that with the Elise. It doesn't mind rev'ing.

I THINK my '99 Boxster has a bit more torque between 2,000 to 3,000 rpm -which is almost idling for the Elise. After that, I think they're about the same. I have no idea what 5,500+ is like.

Road and Track said the Elise is like an RX8 under 6,000. I've test driven a couple and I'd agree. They're about the same.

6. The size.
Seeing the Elise again reassured me that it's not as small has I had thought. It's about the same height as the Espirit but about 3/4th as long.

Driving on the road, I never felt as if I was laying on the floor -even when an Escalade pull up along us on the freeway. I did start to feel a bit of lightness at 80 mph. Incidentally, 80 mph in 6th gear is around 3,000 rpm.

7. The sales man.
Dan is the sale person I've been dealing with at Scottsdale Lotus, and I feel sorry for him. Since the demo's arrived, I think he's been giving test drives one right after the other almost non-stop. There was a person before me and a person after me and a person after him! Scottsdale was closing within 30 minutes!

Needless to say, getting in and out of the Elise isn't even an issue for him anymore. :D

8. Test drives.
I would recommend that if you're wanting a test drive, to wait. Problem is, the Elise is on constant demo rides. I didn't really have time to look at the interior, check out the radio, instrument panel, or really appreciate the car. Not to mention, if you wait till the car's broken in, you'll get to redline the Elise.

Conclusion.
The Elise is everything Lotus has intended it to be. It's a precise and finely tuned instrument. The Elise driver needs to understand that because the Elise will do exactly what you tell it to do. It does not read minds, it reads steering inputs. It had the sport suspension, which was not bad at all.

Because of that, I can see some people not liking the Elise because it's too precise -but then that means there's more for those who will really appreciate it. If you're looking for a precise sports car, this is it. If you want the lastest and greatest toy, you'll be disappointed in about two months after the newness wears off.

PS: The steering wheel is wonderful and perfectly designed. It's obviously small and easy to handle, but what struck me most is that there were little indentations on where your thumbs are supposed to be. Very precise! :clap:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, one other interesting thing to watch for. Before you or anyone else (asides and experienced and trained sales professional) get into our out of the Elise, look at their facial expression. It will either be usually be a look of confusion or worry. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:

8. Test drives.
I would recommend that if you're wanting a test drive, to wait. Problem is, the Elise is on constant demo rides. I didn't really have time to look at the interior, check out the radio, instrument panel, or really appreciate the car. Not to mention, if you wait till the car's broken in, you'll get to redline the Elise.

Right. That was my plan. Wait until the sales guys get a little time. And wait until the car is broken in enough so that you can rev it all the way up.

Too bad I was dealing with the jerks at Criswell. They sold off their demo....and never called me to offer a test drive. Heck, in 10 months of being a deposit holder, they've never called me once FOR ANYTHING. Bastards.

I'm getting my deposit back. I was on the fence about getting an Elise anyway, but I'll be damned if I'm going to deal with Criswell. They're the only dealership in the area and I am not about to get into a situation where I have to put up with their nonsense.

My advice: If you want a test drive, DON'T WAIT. Your dealership could be run by snakes too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Kudos to Dan at Scottsdale...and foot space

I just met with Dan and drove the demo this morning at Scottsdale Lotus. Everything Allan said is right on. I was one of those readers who saw all the posts about how unbelievably incredible this car is and thought "yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's good and all, and sure, I'll buy one." But folks, until you've driven one you have no idea. The feel, the sounds, the...well, everything. I'm still speechless. :drool:

A couple of other notes: first, Dan Caplan is a first-rate guy and made our test-drive experience a joy. Yeah, the car is awesome, but working with a cool guy like Dan makes the experience that much better. I showed up a bit after 9am this morning with a buddy of mine who was thinking about getting on The List. Dan didn't even hesitate to fire up the demo and allow each of us to take it out for a spin. Thanks, Dan! :bow: Needless to say, my buddy is now on the list, too, about 15 spots behind me.

One other thing: I have wide size-12 feet. I chose to try the demo wearing my everyday normal Reebok cross-trainer sneakers to see if they'll fit. Well...they did. I had no problems whatsoever driving the car, and once I get the heel-and-toe thing down pat I'll have no problem there, either. So all of you who were, like me, nervous that your big shoes would get all tangled up in those tiny pedals, fear not. And I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs, so you could say I'm a pretty big guy...getting in and out with and without the top in place was no problem, though it does take some extra flexibility to do so. Just go slow. That roof is LOW and that sill is HIGH and WIDE. No Dukes of Hazzard entries with this car.

Now the bad news: I'm at around spot 120-something, which means no car for me until about this time next year. Sigh... :(

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Kudos to Dan at Scottsdale...and foot space

GAJ said:
Dan Caplan is a first-rate guy and made our test-drive experience a joy. Yeah, the car is awesome, but working with a cool guy like Dan makes the experience that much better...
Now the bad news: I'm at around spot 120-something, which means no car for me until about this time next year. :(
Dan is a great guy. He offerred me a test drive on a Euro Elise they had in December without me even asking. We followed the same test route yesterday, which made it easier to compare the Fed Elise with the Euro model. Fed was soooooooooooooo much better.

As for the waiting list, on the bright side, at least your not waiter 183! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,
This is my first entry but have been a visitor to this forum for for a while now. Anyway I too am getting ready for a test ride at Scottsdale with Dan. Just waiting a bit for the milage factor...if I'm going to drive 400 miles to Scotsdale I might as well wait until I can redline that baby! Dan has been great...what a cool guy to deal with! As it stands now I am #96 as of 8/18 and I was 107 back in April...so who knows maybe I'll be placing my order around the new year! Good Luck guys! :clap: :D :clap:

Rob

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
So Allan have you now completely forgotten about the Maserati? I hope so! :clap:

BTW: Is their demo a LSS model? If so, whaddya think of the ride quality?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shinoo said:
So Allan have you now completely forgotten about the Maserati? I hope so! :clap:

BTW: Is their demo a LSS model? If so, whaddya think of the ride quality?
Maser...who? The demo actually had had the LSS option. It's not bad at all, however, the streets by the dealership are fairly smooth.

The only harsh part was when we left the dealership and drove over a guide-rail that the exit gate slides on. There was a quick "THADUD" as it was obvious this car had the LSS. The Dan, the sale rep, said that would be the worst of it. He was right. For most of the test drive, it really didn't feel harsh.

But the one caveat is that is that if you live in a place with a lot of pot holes, then the LLS will probably be harsh. I think the streets are more of a factor that the suspension.

These are shots of the streets around by the dealership. On these streets, the LLS is smooth -even on the dips that are designed to channel rain fall.

***Look at the streets not the cars****:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts