The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotorWeek blows it

Just saw a maybe 4 minute recap report on the LA show on MotorWeek with their new news bimbo (I miss Jennifer). It had the usual intros of dull GM cars, but the last car was the 2005 Lotus Elise... and then they show a video clip of a yellow first generation Sport 190 of a few years ago on a track.

Duh, come on MotorWeek, you were at the show, show us some footage of the real car!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
They're a bunch of bozo's at Motorweek.
I think they are secretly funded by U.S.
car makers and only if foreign cars are part of their conglomerates do they
really push them on the public.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They reviewed the LA Auto show on Motorweek this morning, and announced the arrival of the Federal version of the Elise. The whole time the were talking, they showed some great track footage of the Elise--only it was the S1. They never even mentioned that they were showing the wrong car.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
(I merged this thread with a similar one in a different category).

To show video of an S1 is inexcusable for a news source. if they don't at least have any S2 footage, they should have just showed pictures of the US Elise.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The LA Auto Show official web site has blurbs on cars for every manufacturer. The Lotus section describes an Elise that weighs just over 1600 pounds. The LA Times has had special sections about the auto show over the past week, and the Elise was described as weighing just over 1700 pounds in one.

In the case of the television report, it probably would have been more professional to mention that the car shown was not the US version, but unless they identified it as the US car they didn't really do anything wrong.

The Road and Track articles showed many photos of European cars, but at least they tried to point out when that was the case. I suspect that TV reporters are less conscientious in this respect.

·
Registered
687 Posts
jml1952 said:
In the case of the television report, it probably would have been more professional to mention that the car shown was not the US version, but unless they identified it as the US car they didn't really do anything wrong.
I don't think the issue is whether or not it was the U.S. version. MotorWeek implied that an S1 body style federalized Elise will arrive in May. The S2 body style has been around for over 3 years!!! For the other cars in their L.A. show report, MotorWeek used manufacturer photos--why not for the Elise?

MotorWeek is going to devote an entire show for the Detroit show. The L.A. show coverage in the news segment was almost nothing in comparison. I am not surprised about the irresponsible journalism for the Elise--a waste of PBS funding.

If we could only have quality car shows like Top Gear and Fifth Gear. At least Auto Motor und Sport is imported.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Whyd did Lotus choose the LA auto show over the Detroit auto show since the Detroit show gets more press?

·
Registered
687 Posts
nxm150 said:
Whyd did Lotus choose the LA auto show over the Detroit auto show since the Detroit show gets more press?
Detroit may get more press coverage because it's home turf for the Big 3, but L.A. still draws over a million visitors and hundreds of journalists from all over the world. You will still see coverage from the major car magazines, and ESPN was there again.

A couple of reasons why Lotus might have chosen L.A. over Detroit:
* L.A. is likely the Elise's #1 market. It is for other premium brands. Mercedes Benz sells 1 out of every 4 U.S. cars in southern California.
* The Elise announcement would be more diluted when competing against announcements from the Big 3, like for the C6 and the Mustang.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I agree with Dan.

The Big 3 will spend more on introducing one car at the DTW show than Lotus will spend on the entire marketing program for the Elise. Lotus needed to be more prudent. I think they were smart with their choice of LA.

Keep in mind, they have already sold 1.5 yrs worth with little or no press support. I think the buzz word for this is: 'guerilla marketing' :D

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If they wanted to spend less money they should have unveiled it at the auto show in Salt Lake City next week. LOL.
It's laughable that they call it an auto show at all...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Dan said:
* The Elise announcement would be more diluted when competing against announcements from the Big 3, like for the C6 and the Mustang.
I think that's the key right there. It's getting more press than the other sporty cars introduced at the LA Auto Show - Maseratir Quatroporte, Morgan, BMW 6-series, new(?) Panoz. If introduced at Detroit, I'm sorry, but it'd certainly have been overshadowed by that stunning Chrysler ME412 (Man, I can't believe I find myself lusting after a CHRYSLER, for goodness sakes).

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
adamant said:
If they wanted to spend less money they should have unveiled it at the auto show in Salt Lake City next week. LOL.
It's laughable that they call it an auto show at all...
Sounds like the one in San Jose. Still, I find those shows can be very usefull if one is shopping for a new car. Having them all under one roof is great for comparison shopping, and not having the crowds of the LA show makes the cars more accessible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
MattG said:
Sounds like the one in San Jose. Still, I find those shows can be very usefull if one is shopping for a new car. Having them all under one roof is great for comparison shopping, and not having the crowds of the LA show makes the cars more accessible.
Useful only if the car you want to look is actually there. The Cleveland Car show (scoff), sadly, will not have an Elise in it.

Alas, the wait only makes me want it more.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts