The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For personal reasons I am offering my project. It's a clean title very late 2005 Elise base car with 30k miles on the chassis. It has Exige front and rear clamshells including the rear hatch and front access panels. It has an Elise hardtop. I was installing a brand new 2009 turbo Ecotec drivetrain into it but I can pull that and sell it separately. Will need new brakes, tires, oil cooler lines and a drivetrain if you buy it without. The Exige rear clam needs fiberglass work. Will try to get pictures soon but I just moved and I'm not sure I have a device that will upload on here.
The car is in Pensacola.
$12k for the chassis or $15k with the Turbo Ecotec.

Clean Title means you can finance it. I wouldn't recommend it but you could finance it for $25-30k and take the difference to finish it your way or whatever you want.
Great opportunity to build a car exactly how you want it.

The original motor is long gone and the Ecotec isn't mounted but I have it in the cradle with the axles installed. It was a complete drivetrain from an 09 Cobalt SS. 260hp/260 ft-lbs 2.0L. The car had no miles but had been run. Ecu, engine harness, and trans are all there.

Please PM or email me at stephen.minnis at yahoo. The mods seem to be deleting the other posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My apologies to the people that that inquired, I've been a very bad seller. Part of my personal reasons is that I'm in Air Force flight training for the next 2 years and I'm not home much. I'm away right now. I took time off next week specifically to take care of this so if you are one of those people interested, I will have a week or two be at your call. I am very reluctant to pass this up, especially since I financed this car at $46k a few years back now and I'm into my last year on it. Plus I am fully capable of finishing the swap and the car means a lot to me. Monday night or Tuesday I will be back to answer all the photo requests and condition details. Thank you for your patience.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What it needs to finish swap:

Engine mounts- The frontmount is made just needs to be bolted in. I was using oem mounts for the other three with new brackets fab'd- same architecture as 2ZZ.

Dash connection. It has the Ecotec Ecu and engine harness. The car still has the Lotus dash and body harness. There are a number of options here and ADSM and I talked about them in another post. You can buy a Europa S or VX220 Turbo harness that will physically connect the ECU to the stock dash but they may use different codes. Or you could use an aftermarket dash.

Shifter linkage- needs the rod ends modified or just the ends replaced (cheap). Bracket needs attached.

O2 housing- this is the first section of exhaust off of the turbo. The stock mount plate to the Cat. needs modifying for clearance or I was going to try one from a Soltice or Sky GXP.

Needs complete exhaust- I believe the Europa S/VX220 3" exhaust may work or you could have one fabbed at local exhaust shop.

Intake- need a CAI(Ebay cheap DIY)

Intercooler- needs one and you can locate on the side, on top(not recommended bc of heat soak), or in the trunk.

Fuel lines- OEM tank still installed, needs connected and will probably need upgraded pump.

AC- needs connected

Options-
There a number of ECU tuning upgrades for this motor. The factory GMS1 tune for around $300 will bring it to 290hp/340ft-lbs at 2500rpm but this set up will most likely have a more argressive exhaust, a CAI, and intercooler than the original Cobalt SS setup.

400hp easy with bolt-ons and the sky is the limit with aftermarket parts.
Cobalt 2.0 Performance
Welcome to the Performance Autowerks online store!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What it needs without this drivetrain.

-a complete drivetrain inclding axles (All Exige/Elise have GM hubs so the Ecotec axles fit right in perfectly. I never had to swap them)

brakes- rotors and pads all around. Rear are just worn. Front were used on another car. E-brake currently hooked up and in use.

oil lines- I was removing the single oil cooler and lines and going to mount something out back like an electric oil cooler. I did have a line fail back in 09 so there is oil residue in some places up front.

radiator shroud- It will need an Exige shroud which has a lower profile than the Elise's and mine has the headlight supports cut off and not useable unless you are not installing headlights- then it can just be trimmed for the Exige clam.

master/slave cylinder fittings. The original plastic ones cracked and I made brass ones.

body work- the rear clam has some fixable damage.

marker lights - all four

rear tailights- are non LED so should be upgraded.

Exige scoops- side and either make/add a roof scoop or sell this Elise top and buy an Exige top.

mounting brackets -for the front clam, the rear hatch, roof

This is a base model car so it has the undesirable wheels. The inerior does not have carpert and it has roll up windows -needs to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
History- Its build date I believe was Jul/Aug 05. The first owner bought the car in 06 and traded in 07 on a new Lexus. It was owned by an elderly couple in Reading, PA andgarage kept- never tracked. I bought the car in Aug 07 and traded a Maserati Spyder so I did carry quite a bit of negative equity, but the car was worth it to me. The car has been garage kept its entire life but it really doesn't matter at this point, in its current condition. It had exactly 30k miles on it when I pulled the original motor. I only pulled the original motor because at the time really didn't think the 2ZZ would ever have the torque or modified reliability I was looking for. The Ecotec seemed like it was the best choice at the time because it is a modern engine with Direct Injection, sodium filled exhaust valves, VVT, and a twin scoll turbo. Plus GM spent millions of dollars on its development (and with Lotus) and I knew it would be more reliable than a home/ebay built Honda(I've done plently and I know they can last...for a few months). A distant relative to this motor with the same block size was used in this chassis with the VX220 and Europa S.

The chassis has a clean title. My wife at the time had some minor claims from parking lot clamshell cracks and those clamshells are long gone. This car was never totalled or anything of the sort. I never tracked this car. I did drive it on both coasts but it was trailered both ways.

This car has a great potential no matter what engine goes in and no matter what direction you go- track/street.

Its in Pensacola, FL and I am not looking to sell the roof or clamshells at this time separately.

Thanks to all those that wrote me.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For $35k I will throw in a clean 2005 Elise, sport package, lux pack, Red/Tan, 42k miles car.

Basically finance the red car for $35k and get the second rolling Exige chassis for free. 2 for 1. Just another option.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately for me I made a deal with the very first guy on just the project chassis without the motor. I say unfortunate because I had six offers for both afterwards. I'm probably going to hold onto the red one for a few more months. I put the motor on ebay. Thanks all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Unfortunately for me I made a deal with the very first guy on just the project chassis without the motor. I say unfortunate because I had six offers for both afterwards. I'm probably going to hold onto the red one for a few more months. I put the motor on ebay. Thanks all.
Fortunate for me! I picked up the chassis from Minnis and look forward to building my first Lotus and completing the Exige body conversion. I had a great transaction. He was great to deal with and very forthcoming on any and all information. I could not be happier how it went. (Other then the auto transport I hired being a no-show & no call the first time around [Upscale Auto Transport])

I've been trolling the forums & web for over 8m researching everything and picking up some parts along the way. I want to thank some of the forum members that have helped influence my purchase and plans going forward. LT is a WEALTH of knowledge and I'm happy to be here!

I thought it fitting my first post would be with the purchase of my first Lotus!

Look forward to contributing and learning from everyone on here!

Cheers!

:coolnana:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts