The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Damn it! It happened. :wallbang:

Before I begin, I am still undecided as to fix this up and register it again or sell it to one of my dear forum-mates.

I have tons of pictures which I will upload somewhere and post the link here.

I will post the VIN to the wrecked thread.

Here is the story:

Going around a tight bend, oncoming car, got nervous let off the gas, the rear came around, did a 360, went into a shallow and SOFT ditch and the front driver side got caught. By soft I mean it was soft dirt and nothing like rock or guard rail. No-one was hurt. The other car didn't even stop. And no airbag deployment.

The visible damage was the front clam and the left turn signal. Both wheelarch liners on the front. I must have hit something on the 360 turn because the diffuser is also busted. There are a couple of dings around the diffuser on the rear clam but no tears or cracks. The battery came loose inside the trunk and hit the inside of the trunk and left a spideweb crack on the outside. That was all I could see. No damage from the inside. The sides, doors, roof, windshield, exhaust, undertray in perfect condition, untouched.

Drove the car back home for 2 hours on the highway, normal speeds, no problem, not even pulling to any side!!

Started talking to my closest dealer (will reveal all this information later when I decide what I want to do with the car) and they sent me to their go-to body shop. The body shop is very respectable with a lot of experience on high end cars and as a matter of fact has a review with flying colors on this very forum.

Removed the front clam and the driver side of the crash structure is cracked up. And that's all. No damage to the radiator, no damage to the oil coolers, or any of the oil lines. The fans are in tact and all the electronics untouched. The front access panels, top grills, in perfect shape, reusable. Both headlights, right turn signal in perfect shape and reusable.

The diffuser and undertray were removed and the chassis and frame and all the wheel arms and joints were inspected, everything stopped way upfront and did not reach the frame. There is a line in the documentation from the shop that confirms this. The many pictures I will post will show this as well.

The estimate for the front clams, crash structure and cosmetics totaled the car. I got paid off and bought the car back.

Now, here are the million dollar questions:

Do I fix it or do I sell it as is and buy another one that is already put together? I have read all the clam/crash structure replacement threads and I have no doubt that I can do it. It will take time to collect parts and it will take time and energy to put it back together.

What should I list it for if I decide to sell it?

There is very remote chance that I decide to part it out as well. That is going to be very tedious.

This will make a sweet sweet track car. PM me if interested -poke-

The car is located in New Mexico.

Drive safely.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fix it and drive it --- Use this opportunity to make it better than ever!

Anybody else will want a healthy discount for the unknown.

For you there is lot less doubt.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense. I just don't know if I can wait that long without a car...if the offer is right I am willing to part with it and get another one.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have an Elise/Exige experienced bodyshop deal with the crash structure. It is bonded to the frame (usually chiseled off) and requires a propriety bonding agent to reassemble. I'm pretty sure an inexperienced shop will bugger this job up. Other than that, it's going to be easy-peazy in that pain-in-the-ass sort of way. Either way, save the car. Parting it out would be a waste.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I always wonder if money can be made parting out one of these more minor "total losses". Just thinking out loud on what are probably reasonable prices:

Engine: 2000
transmission:700
wheels and tires: 1200
windshield: 500
seats: 600
supercharger system: 2500
ECM: 500 (ill give you that for it :) )
rear Clamshell: 2500
brake disks: 200
suspension and components: 1500
headlights: 1000
+ thousands of other misc parts small and big (5k?)

I think you might be able to get nearly 20k for parts if you tried, I wouldent think the salvage value would be much higher than that. It is probably at least 10k to fix even by a hobbiest, much higher at a shop. I cant imagine a salvage title car being worth much more than mid 20's maybe less.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Specs

Thanks for the posts guys.

The car was this. Sorry Marty.

There are some items that I am going to keep to sell on the "parts for sale" or put on my next Exige if it comes to that.

Here are the specs (comes with the car):
  • Track pack: harness bar and Bilstein adjustable shocks
  • Touring pack: leather seats, AC, power window
  • Traction control
  • LSS black wheels (see pics for some scuffs on ONE of the wheels)
  • Stage II exhast
  • ForcedFed headers (I may keep these :D)
  • Accusump (the pressure gauge got bent when the battery hit it, other than that totally fine and functional)
  • A booster after the battery to enhance ignition
  • Cobra alarm
  • New rear pads Carbotech Bobcat 1521
  • Front pads have plenty on them
  • Front tires have lots of thread
  • Rear tires are near the end of their life maybe another 1000 miles
  • The Alpine stereo
  • Interior and engine bay are in immaculate condition.
I am keeping: 4 point harness, extinguisher, raceVIEW mirrors, back up camera.

Mileage: 18063

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pictures

144 pics here.

The metal piece hanging in the front is the front under tray.

The car is still in the shop. I am picking it up next Friday. After that I can post some more pics of the crash structure and under the diffuser.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@aschen

You are right about the cost if you take this to a shop to do the replacements and buy new parts. However, if you collect the parts from this forum it could come together at much less.

Search for front clams and crash structures that were for sale on the parts threads...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Price

Quick update:

I have two bids for $15K.

One bid for $15.5K.

And another local interested party.

It is still not where I want it to be but it is close.

If you are in New Mexico or Colorado and don't have the transportation cost, you will have an advantage.

I am just saying :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts