The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dimensions to jack stand points?

I'm going to post this in a couple areas, since I'm not sure to best place for this question....

I want to build an aluminum tube "chassis stand" on casters for the entire car. (2005 Elise) I'm doing a Winter tear down, and want to be able to roll it around the garage while up on jack stands. Mounting regular jack stands to a base with casters just seems too tippy and iffy. I have fabrication resources, and can design a neat rolling frame that supports the car up a couple feet and can roll around, then be easily taken apart for easy storage on the wall of the garage. (Anyone interested in something like this? I can make more than one!)

Anyway, I can measure everything but thought I would ask first: Does anyone have measurements to the hard points to support the car? All three directions...width, length, and height.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dimensions to jack stand points?

I'm going to post this in a couple areas, since I'm not sure to best place for this question....

I want to build an aluminum tube "chassis stand" on casters for the entire car. (2005 Elise) I'm doing a Winter tear down, and want to be able to roll it around the garage while up on jack stands. Mounting regular jack stands to a base with casters just seems too tippy and iffy. I have fabrication resources, and can design a neat rolling frame that supports the car up a couple feet and can roll around, then be easily taken apart for easy storage on the wall of the garage. (Anyone interested in something like this? I can make more than one!)

Anyway, I can measure everything but thought I would ask first: Does anyone have measurements to the hard points to support the car? All three directions...width, length, and height.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am designing a chassis stand that will be on casters so I can tear down the car this Winter, and be able to re-position it around the garage. It will be light weight aluminum tube framed, and sized specifically for the Elise support points. It would have easily removable cross braces, so it will be sturdy and very safe, but can be quickly taken apart for flat storage on the wall.

Is anyone interested in this? Once designed and tested, I can easily produce more. It's too early to know what pricing would be, but I would not be looking to get rich...I just thought some of my Elise bretheren would perhaps like to have one of these too.

Post up if your interested.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
So you have the car.... take the measurements yourself? I'm confused as to why that isn't easier. Even if someone gives you measurements it would be silly not to check them against your car (at which point you'd be doing the measurement yourself anyway!)

Side note - wouldn't it be easier to make some hub stands that can roll around? Use some old rotors for the bolt pattern if you don't want to drill the holes yourself. You also don't have to take any measurements off the car or worry about storing/setting up what could be a bulky item.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, OK....lighten up Francis. :) Jeez....Just asking....it it's common knowledge out there somewhere, I don't need to do the measuring. Hub stands are an option, but will not be able to do suspension work. I want to support the chassis.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
OK, OK....lighten up Francis. :) Jeez....Just asking....it it's common knowledge out there somewhere, I don't need to do the measuring. Hub stands are an option, but will not be able to do suspension work. I want to support the chassis.
With hubstands you could still jack up one corner if you needed to unload the suspension. I don't think its advisable to leave the suspension unloaded for a long period of time (i'm guessing you already knew that part).

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Anywhere on the side sills (aluminum extrusions only) is fine...it is the back that needs the support. I would just mount to the the 4 large bolts that go through your floor pan. Take off the floor pan, and re-install those 4 large bolts through your rolling stand. That will make it very secure and won't move while on the stand. I would probably be interested in that...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With hubstands you could still jack up one corner if you needed to unload the suspension. I don't think its advisable to leave the suspension unloaded for a long period of time (i'm guessing you already knew that part).
Other than the potential for having the shock shafts bottomed out at full extension (easily remedied by removing the shock/spring package), why is this a bad idea?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your response. Yup....I know where to do the mounting. I can measure it, but getting the vertical dimension are a little more difficult...I want the car to be level when on the stand. I had thought there may be a dimensioned diagram or something just to save me to time of doing the measurements.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I don't think its advisable to leave the suspension unloaded for a long period of time (i'm guessing you already knew that part).
Why would that be a problem? Educate me... shocks are stored in boxes for years without any problems. Oh...wait...you've still got rubber wishbone bushings! If you are lifting your car for long periods of time that you need a stand, you've already got Nitron bushings in there...

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
I am designing a chassis stand that will be on casters so I can tear down the car this Winter, and be able to re-position it around the garage. It will be light weight aluminum tube framed, and sized specifically for the Elise support points. It would have easily removable cross braces, so it will be sturdy and very safe, but can be quickly taken apart for flat storage on the wall.

Is anyone interested in this? Once designed and tested, I can easily produce more. It's too early to know what pricing would be, but I would not be looking to get rich...I just thought some of my Elise bretheren would perhaps like to have one of these too.

Post up if your interested.
Pat, why do this in aluminum instead of steel?

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Why would that be a problem? Educate me... shocks are stored in boxes for years without any problems. Oh...wait...you've still got rubber wishbone bushings! If you are lifting your car for long periods of time that you need a stand, you've already got Nitron bushings in there...
Thats correct, but I'm not the one lifting my car for long periods of time. :eek:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) Light weight - easy to pick up and hand on the wall when you are not using them.
2) They will never rust and do not need to be painted. (Unless you want to.)
3) I have access to many aluminum fabrication tools and welders.
4) It's more cool this way.

LOL

·
not your dad's puns
1,765 Posts
Going to clean up a bit your various threads, will help to keep discussion focused.

Also intrigued... what design do you have in mind? I'm picturing an "X" spanning the B & C jacking points.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going to clean up a bit your various threads, will help to keep discussion focused.

Also intrigued... what design do you have in mind? I'm picturing an "X" spanning the B & C jacking points.
Thanks...sorry to blast the site with multiple posts...

My initial thoughts are separate "frames" for the front and rear jack points. These would be oriented sideways under the car, front one picking up the B point, rear one the C points. They would have the base plates with locking casters. Separate top and bottom longitudinal tubes would then tie the top and bottom of the two frames together to form a box structure. They would be retained at each end with a structural clip and removable pins....no tools needed to assemble this. That's the basic idea anyway...I will have to model it up and can post an image. Since the C points are located higher off the floor, the rear frame will need to be taller to keep the car level while on the stand. I want the car as high as possible off the floor, but will need to figure that out based on one's ability to jack it up to a certain height. I built one for my Formula Ford years ago, but I could chain hoist that from the garage ceiling and it sat 4 feet off the ground for easy access to everything. Anyway....just an initial idea at the moment....any input is welcome. Thanks!!

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,976 Posts
Intrigued... if that means anything... But bet I couldn't justify the cost.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A quick look at what I came up with. Independent telescoping posts allow the car to be lifted up from it's low setting (around 12" jack stand height) up an additional 6" making 18" under the car for clearance.

Attachments

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
maybe a silly question, but how do you get the car on it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts