The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are working on a Track Day event at Pitt Race International in W. Pa.

I was discussing a Dodge Viper event with Viper Owners of America and they expressed a concern with getting enough drivers to make it work. Originally they considered extending an invitation to various local clubs. I suggested we consider doing a Lotus/Viper Day at the Track. Thought that would be really cool given how different yet similar the two cars are. Anyway, they agreed to a joint day and now I need to get a feel for how much interest there would be.

Anyway,

We are planning an all day affair with about 8 run session. I would expect there would be 3 runs groups. There will be instructors for new drivers as well as those wanting to get some advanced instructions. Also it appears the Autocross track may be available for those interested in running some laps there. The thoughts are we will use the Performance Driving Experience PDE format that Pitt Race uses in their driver program. They have a description on their website.

Pittsburgh International Race Complex

The tentative date is June 27, 2014(Friday) Cost will be about $250-$300 (dependent on head count) which would include lunch . We are looking to do a social afterwards but that may or may not be covered by the registration fee. We are hoping to get the local Dodge and Lotus dealers to play some role if possible.

If you are interested , please let me know so I can get an idea of how many spots to hold. Also feel free to post any questions as I will try to answer them as best possible . Keep in mind we are still working through some of the details but hope to have them finalized soon. The local Porsche and BMW Clubs have several of these events each year and they get sold out almost immediately. Would be nice to do something with the Lotus guys.

Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
831 Posts
what is the track layout? It is not that far from the Detroit area, would be fun if a few Lotuses showed up.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I went a couple times when it was "BeaveRun." Sorry, can't make your event - it's an 8h30m drive for me now.

Very nice facility and a fun and safe track. Go if you can!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went a couple times when it was "BeaveRun." Sorry, can't make your event - it's an 8h30m drive for me now.

Very nice facility and a fun and safe track. Go if you can!
Yes it is a great facility.

My thoughts are that they are currently under construction to build an additional 1.4 mi to the track . My hope is next year when they have the other track done we would already be set up to host something really special.

Thanks for the bump

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why dont you open it up to the pittsburgh cars and coffee group. You maybe able to get a couple more exotics out.
Lowtush, hoping you would pop up. I also intend to reach out to CnC. However the intent is to give the Lotus/Viper owners a pre registration opportunity. We are hoping to get local dealers involved which would present better if the manufactures are predominately represented. I figure Viper will be handled by VOA and I will handle the Lotus outreach.

My hope is if we could get a good Lotus showing with the dealer there, then next year with the opening of the South Track and the launch of the 2015 Lotus lineup, this thing could be really amazing . I am guessing that most Lotus guys in CnC also frequent this site, so it will give them a step up on registration.

If you know any of the CnC guys that own Lotus or Viper can you reach out to them and let them know what we are doing.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
I can talk to bobby wright who owns the local lotus dealership and see if wants to bring something out. I will help you out as much as i can.

I do know a few cnc lotus and viper owners so i will bring this up with them as well.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can talk to bobby wright who owns the local lotus dealership and see if wants to bring something out. I will help you out as much as i can.

I do know a few cnc lotus and viper owners so i will bring this up with them as well.
I am working with Larry at the Lotus of Pittsburgh store and he is tentatively in , to what degree it is still open.

I am pretty sure if I open this to the Pgh CnC it will fill up pretty quick as they have 500 pretty avid car guys as members. I only have 20 spots
Appreciate your helping us out thanks

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
I am working with Larry at the Lotus of Pittsburgh store and he is tentatively in , to what degree it is still open.

I am pretty sure if I open this to the Pgh CnC it will fill up pretty quick as they have 500 pretty avid car guys as members. I only have 20 spots
Appreciate your helping us out thanks
lets keep this private for now, if you want to open it up to other makes let me know I can privately send an invite.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would be in - just to clarify, Drivers must be licensed by accredited race organization (SCCA, NASA, NARRA, etc.)?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would be in - just to clarify, Drivers must be licensed by accredited race organization (SCCA, NASA, NARRA, etc.)?
Actually it will be run more like an HPDE event. Where each driver will place themselves in run group 1, 2, or 3.

•Group 1: For drivers unfamiliar with our track or who have never been on a road course before. They spend their sessions with one of our driving instructors and are introduced to basic skills. (Morning Session)
•Group 2: More experienced drivers continue their on-track learning with our instructors to learn advanced and higher-speed maneuvers. (Morning Session)
•Group 3: Veteran HPDE participants who are signed off by our chief driving instructor & Drivers licensed by accredited race organization (SCCA, NASA, NARRA, etc.) have the opportunity for solo runs

The track will be open for afternoon runs but I believe that will be less formal. You could continue to work with your instructor, do ride along with instructors or just continue to run on your own.

Passing rules are pretty strict with Group 1 & 2 and more liberal with Group 3.

Hope this helps. A lot of the Viper guys are coming down from Cleveland Area. The Viper guy I am working with is actually from Warren OH.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bump

1 - 13 of 13 Posts