The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting this out there as a feeler. We have a stock elise that was bought for prototyping purposes. We want to do something bad ass with it now that we are nearing completion.

We have the ability to build a carbon fiber elise which include the following parts....

Exterior:
Front Clam
Rear Clam
Roll Bar Cover
Hinge panels
Access panels
Doors

Interior:
Pretty much every panel

Details on car:
05 Elise
Arctic Silver/Red Int
29k miles
Touring pack
soft top
stock everything as of now

If someone wants a truly unique car, this would be it. We can build it any way you would like. If anyone is interested please send me an email for more details.

[email protected]

Thanks
Kevin :UK:

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's been done and it's not that cool. If you want to do something awesome design a wide body kit or exige style rear clam for the elise that you can reproduce and sell.

Also, many companies already sell cf interior parts at probably much lower prices than you will be able to do because try already have the molds.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been done and it's not that cool. If you want to do something awesome design a wide body kit or exige style rear clam for the elise that you can reproduce and sell.

Also, many companies already sell cf interior parts at probably much lower prices than you will be able to do because try already have the molds.
1. we have all the moulds so no issue there and ours are definitely much lower in price.
2. no reason to design an exige rear for the elise, exige bolts up with the corresponding parts.
3. fiberglass widebody has been done, we can also do that.
4. this is not a discussion thread

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
rhetorical question, trying to calculate the bang for the buck.

From what I can piece together, YMMV, this would be approximately a 200ish pound savings, (10% is big)

What would you guess the cost of this Elise would be?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rhetorical question, trying to calculate the bang for the buck.

From what I can piece together, YMMV, this would be approximately a 200ish pound savings, (10% is big)

What would you guess the cost of this Elise would be?
It all depends on if you want a full package/half package, interior. It will be more than an average elise, thats a given however we want to hook our customers up and will only charge for the parts.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sounds awesome. Though I have to ask why you're not making replacement clams if you have the ability? I would think that's a better market to be honest.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds awesome. Though I have to ask why you're not making replacement clams if you have the ability? I would think that's a better market to be honest.
The moulds are different for fiberglass and carbon so we would need to redo the moulds. Its something we are not going to be doing and honnestly a carbon clam is going to cost close to fiberglass clam so why not buy something stronger and lighter.

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
Lowtush... If you meet the price point of an oem clam people will line up for your product.

Fact: Clams are in demand and Lotus is behind the ball...
Fact: Lighter/Stronger is always better for a Lotus
Fact: Cracks and chips are harder deal with in regard to CF, but who cares its CF!

Whats your turn around on a CF front clam and Access panels?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sounds like a great opportunity for someone to get a full carbon Elise. If I was in the market I'd jump at this.

I've always thought a full carbon Elise with a custom paint job that had areas or stripes that showed the carbon beneath the paint would be amazing.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,420 Posts
You have CF doors? Will windows work in them once all the stock parts are swapped over? How much?

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I sense that this is mostly a cool factor option. Those who calculate value based only on weight saved would probably be disappointed.

Personally I love CF. I agree with LiveToDrive that the right combination of CF and interesting paint scheme could be killer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts