The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am in a turn, slow speed in a parking lot, wheel already turned but in a fixed constand radius turn (steering wheel not moving in the turn), i feel a tapping or slight knocking though the wheel. Like something moving within the steering or suspension - Could this be our loose front suspension mounting bolt problem rearing it's ugly head? Sort of at a loss.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I know you and I have had our pot shots, but I am genuinely interested in helping.

I just went through the exact same problem and brought it to TJ. Wasn't the rack. At first, he torqued down all the bolts and 50% fix. I then had him put new Heim rod ends ($35 from S111) for my RTV brace. Did and alignment and problem solved. Just like new.

My car has 45K miles now so common wear and tear.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks. Sorry about the other week - doctor has turned up the meds...haha. What the hell is an RTV brace? I should know this...My car is closing in on 19k miles, and took her round trip x-country, drive on some crap roads...so I guess I could see it as normal wear & tear.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know you and I have had our pot shots, but I am genuinely interested in helping.

I just went through the exact same problem and brought it to TJ. Wasn't the rack. At first, he torqued down all the bolts and 50% fix. I then had him put new Heim rod ends ($35 from S111) for my RTV brace. Did and alignment and problem solved. Just like new.

My car has 45K miles now so common wear and tear.
OK - now I'm confused - looks like the RTV brace is on the rear ? You changed heim joints in the rear to fix your steering tapping? How could that be? BOE just put on full race links so I'm thinking not the problem. Just confused as to how a toe link fix could solve the steering symptoms...street car only. If it's the rack that's going to suck. I'm going to try torquing the suspension mounting bracket to subframe bolts first, see if that helps.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I would ping TJ. He fixed it 100%. I know he's done so for a number of folks with the same issue.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is he on the board? Is he the Fox Valley tech? Pardon my ignorance - east coast here. We are pretty much on our own, but have a good shop to carry out instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts