The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just installed my new wheels and tires and am worried about rear fender clearance. I went with custom BC Forged wheels in 20x10 with a +65 offset and they fit great ... but it also pushes the tire almost flush with the rear clam. So it likely won't clear the inside lip if the tire compresses past the clam ... which I get the sense it's not designed too.

I know Evora GT's run 20x10.5 with a +69 and 295's ... so I am wondering if any owners could check to see what their clearance is? I would assume it's the same ie. it's flush with the clam given they added the extra black little wickers to extend pass the tire.

In any case, if anyone would be so nice to check and maybe take a few photos it would be MUCH appreciated!

Here are a few photos of my rear under full compression ... I jacked up the rear and put wood under one wheel and lowered it back to the ground.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
229 Posts
That looks as though it is going to catch under max compression. The fender strips on the gt are to give a dimension clear of the max extension of the wheel at is furthest point, which is clear of the fender, at the bottom I believe. That 4 mm difference perhaps makes the difference?

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
That's NOT full compresstion.285's are fine. Rear fenders differ slightly I believe. Less lip to DESTROY!

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
236 Posts
We have clients running 295 rears on our BC Forged wheels but we also often tailor the wheels based on how the car will be used and what tires they plan on using. I don't think these came from us so perhaps you can go back to your dealer and ask them how they configured your wheels? Also, actual tire sizes often vary between manufacturers and sometimes even within a manufacture, so 295 Pilot Sport Cup 2's may not be the same width as the Bridgestone 295s on your car.

Based on what I've seen, the spatters on the GT430 do not provide more clearance, just more coverage. In the US, tires must have full coverage, meaning gravel & debris should not be able to fly straight up--I'd assume the UK has a similar regulation. As for actual clearance, the GT430 may be set to a faster dampening rate plus with presumably stiffer springs, the clearance at full compression may be less of a factor. Hope this helps. --Sherman

·
Registered
229 Posts
The wheel offsets are different surely on the Lotus wider wheels to gain the extra clearance. I haven't got the figures to hand but I looked at this to spec some custom wheels. If I can drag them out tomorrow I'll post them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sherman,

My shop calculated the offset to keep the inner clearance from the suspension components, are the 20x10 setups you sell a different offset from +65 I have?

The spatters definitely are not there for more clearance, if anything it would cause more clearance issues you would think. That's why I'm thinking the GT's with the 10.5 wheels have the same setup ie. the edge of the wheel is pretty much flush with the clam edge and is not meant to compress past that point.

I'm was hoping someone with a GT could confirm that this was the case ... as I can't see how a 10.5 wheel would clear and my 10 inch would not.

For reference ... tread width for a Cup 2 (295/30/20) = 11" and RE71R = 10.7" ... so Cup 2 may be even worse.

BTW, I'm running your Bilstein/Ohlins with 5K/6K setup and stiffer sway bar bushings ... so hoping that will keep it from compressing into the lip of the clam.

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

We have clients running 295 rears on our BC Forged wheels but we also often tailor the wheels based on how the car will be used and what tires they plan on using. I don't think these came from us so perhaps you can go back to your dealer and ask them how they configured your wheels? Also, actual tire sizes often vary between manufacturers and sometimes even within a manufacture, so 295 Pilot Sport Cup 2's may not be the same width as the Bridgestone 295s on your car.

Based on what I've seen, the spatters on the GT430 do not provide more clearance, just more coverage. In the US, tires must have full coverage, meaning gravel & debris should not be able to fly straight up--I'd assume the UK has a similar regulation. As for actual clearance, the GT430 may be set to a faster dampening rate plus with presumably stiffer springs, the clearance at full compression may be less of a factor. Hope this helps. --Sherman

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
295 on rear of my Evora 400, literally 0 issues.
Are you running 295 on stock wheels? Do they stick out as far as mine in the pictures above? Any chance you can take a quick pic similar to mine to compare?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you running 295 on stock wheels? Do they stick out as far as mine in the pictures above? Any chance you can take a quick pic similar to mine to compare?

Cheers,
Zoomby_U
BC-forged wheels (RZ053) running MP4S.

20X10.5 295/30r20 | 19X8.5 245/35r19

They are familiar with the car and took care of the offsets so that everything would fit perfectly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BC-forged wheels (RZ053) running MP4S.

20X10.5 295/30r20 | 19X8.5 245/35r19

They are familiar with the car and took care of the offsets so that everything would fit perfectly.

Thanks, what offset are you running on yours? I assume its +69? Also how much rear camber are you running?

To be clear, I don't have any rubbing currently after testing on the road ... my concern is at the track under full load that it will rub the clam.

Would you be able to take a close up picture of the edge of the tire in relation to the lip of the clam ... like the one below? Thanks again!

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd have to ask for the offset, they had knowledge of the car and offered the fitment as matching the GT430.

I do not run camber (mostly a back road cruiser) but I have tracked the car, no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts