The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I will ever own one.

I seem to remember that F40's were like $200K, but I just looked at Dupont Registery and they are at $600K. WTH??

Is one featured on some new hipster TV show??

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't think the F40 was ever $200K unless there was some kind of issue with the car. There are only 211 US models (many more Euro cars) so a "market" is a bit dicey to figure. The very low mileage cars have traded hands recently at over $700K. There is a car at Ferrari of Dallas right now that I want to say has around 300 miles and the owner wants $1 million. A quick look at DuPont Registry shows a few out there for $600K and up asking.

IMO the best investment Ferrari right now less than 30 years old, although the 288 GTO, F50 and Enzo are up there too, but I am biased.

A great irony is that the routine service costs are less than a 308 and 328 since the F40 is prety close toa race car and therefore the engine is much more accessible for maintenance in the car. Got help you if you destroy a front or rear clam, though.

Not a hipster, so no idea what kind of TV coverage there is.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I recall them being 350k or so the last time I "shopped" for one. By shop I mean fantisized of course. I think this was 8+ years ago though.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
There used to be an f40 on "display" at galley furniture here in houston. You could touch it and I recall kids playing on it . It was sad to see it out of its native habitat and was in rough shape from the abuse. That store had a massive fire a couple years ago. I wonder if that car finally perished.

When I lived in town I used to see a different f-40 driving around frequently. I even saw it driving in the rain once. I have lots of respect for anybody who will rack up alot of miles on such a car.

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's where they have been for at least 3 years, $600k +/- 100k depending on condition. 288 GTOs have taken a pretty sizeable bump recently though. They were around $500k a few years ago and one just sold at auction this month for over $1m.

I would say that the limited supercars (288/F40/F50/Enzo) are the only Ferraris built since the mid 70s that have any chance for meaningful appreciation. Still not sure if it could be an investment, the maintence and insurane would probably offset any gain.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
damn 600k now? These were 350k just a few years ago.

·
Registered
161 Posts
They are only going to increase in value over time as more of them get totaled.

Had a moron (who lives in the same building as a colleague of mine) spin out leaving an exotic car show last month here in Vancouver and do this to his F40:

Ferrari F40 Wrecked in Vancouver

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I bet that damage did not hurt the car structurally and unlike the F50 and successors, the F40 has a steel space frame with some Kevlar/Carbon panels bonded to it, so it is pretty fixable. That said, the rear clam alone is going to be over $50K, not counting the window or any other parts. Probably a $150-$200K accident and another $50-100K hit in resale value. As it sits, that is $200K F40, I suspect.

I LOVE high F40 prices and they are not that bad to insure, actually. 2009-2012 appreciation on an F40 beats the DJIA, although it is true there are storage and insurance and upkeep costs to consider, but still, not many cars go up in value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts