The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after watching SpeedTV's coverage of F1 Monaco practice, I'd like someone to clarify what these "agreements" Ferrari have/had with the FIA these past 5 years?

1. Power to Veto regulations proposed for a new season
2. Ferrari get a 50m Euro yearly pay out from FIA
3. The only team allowed to be represented on the board

As I understand it, in order to keep Ferrari from doing a break away series about 5 years ago, the FIA made a special agreement with Ferrari? Apparently many of the existing teams didn't know about this agreement?

Perhaps it is time to see F1 come to a close. I don't see how any sponsor and/or team would want to remain in a series that has engaged in secret special agreements with another team in the series. How could any team have "faith" in the sport and it's regulatory system? Would anyone want to sign up for a series knowing there are special agreements with one the teams you're going to compete against?

This IS going to be a BIG can of worms, and I think what Max has done is said to Ferrari, "ok, you want to open the lid, lets open the lid and see what's really inside".

Wow, I'm in shock.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
So after watching SpeedTV's coverage of F1 Monaco practice, I'd like someone to clarify what these "agreements" Ferrari have/had with the FIA these past 5 years?

1. Power to Veto regulations proposed for a new season
2. Ferrari get a 50m Euro yearly pay out from FIA
3. The only team allowed to be represented on the board

As I understand it, in order to keep Ferrari from doing a break away series about 5 years ago, the FIA made a special agreement with Ferrari? Apparently many of the existing teams didn't know about this agreement?

Perhaps it is time to see F1 come to a close. I don't see how any sponsor and/or team would want to remain in a series that has engaged in secret special agreements with another team in the series. How could any team have "faith" in the sport and it's regulatory system? Would anyone want to sign up for a series knowing there are special agreements with one the teams you're going to compete against?

This IS going to be a BIG can of worms, and I think what Max has done is said to Ferrari, "ok, you want to open the lid, lets open the lid and see what's really inside".

Wow, I'm in shock.

Rob.
I couldn't agree more. I was shocked when I heard that as well. I'm glad that I didn't fast forward through that part...and to know that I wasn't the only one to hear it (I almost didn't believe it/thought that I heard wrong). I am totally disillusioned. I've never been a fan of Ferrari but this is just ridiculous. How much credibility can F1 have now if they were in bed with one of the competing teams???

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm wondering if there is any legal action that can be filed against the FIA by other teams that competed over the past 5 years? Are McLaren lawyers are gonna be ALL over this considering their 100m Euro payout.

And with Ross Brawn admitting Ferrari competed with an Illegal car while he was with Ferrari is adding more fuel to this fire.

I'm surprised, and I'm doubting the viability of F1 next year.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I heard this as well....Ferrari is sleeping with FIA and FOTA

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It makes McLaren's "stolen but not used" Ferrari information seem positively minor compared to this little gem of information. This is nuts, I mean were talking serious sponsorship Euros over the past 5 years combining all the teams -- oh man, this IS gonna get real ugly.

Can you see Toyota's lawyers handing a lawsuit to the FIA saying, BTW, you owe us 5 Billion US dollars for competing in a series where we were not afforded an equal status/opportunity in the series per Concorde Agreement.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I dont get it. The Red team gets $50Mil from FIA.
The FIA says in 2010 you can only spend $40M
That means the Red team makes $10M a year profit!
And my dad said you cant make money in racing.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I thought Ferrari's special status was common knowledge. Made it more fun to pull against them. The diffuser ruling this month was the first ruling against Ferrari in something like 25 years.
This whole mess leaves us, the loyal fans, to feel like :wallbang:

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
al lthe teams negotiate their agrements - some don't modify, some (i guess do) but all the teams gets paid by the fia anyways (i thought?), that part of the newer agreements of late - how much i don't know. that 50m amount may be there agreeded portion of the tv rights? or is it something sepperate?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Every team has their own unique contract, secret from the other teams.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It's been widely known for years that Ferrari had a special financial arrangement, it might even have been in the Concord Agreement. The real news here is the veto powers. That hasn't been out in the open until now.

Face it, what's needed is a real house cleaning at the top of the FIA and FOM. Even better, do away with FOM altogether. That alone would free up much needed cash to help offset the teams' costs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You only know about the last 5 years, what about before that?

I think this taints Schumachers legacy, sort of like steroids in baseball.

·
Registered
527 Posts
:popcorn:

and poor rubens he can't catch a break. "As the corner turns"...new on speed this fall!

Hey it's my first time using the popcorn icon!

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
that's what I always thought too - and I though it was common knowledge :shrug:
I disagree - Ferrari had an agreement that enabled them to veto rules they didn't like (but they didn't get to set the rules). Once the rules were in play everyone is on a level playing field (budget is another issue!) and as such Shumachers results are that he and Ferrari were better than the rest (an no - I'm not a Ferrari fan).

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
You only know about the last 5 years, what about before that?

opposite! it re-enforces schumachers legacy that he was instrumental in building a team to the capability to negotiate such contracts!! ...just shows you how "great" schumacher was - different animal than other "drivers"

check into the modern history a bit, ferrari ruined the careers of the worlds greatest drivers... until schumacher! he said "we will create a new era of ferrari dominance" and everyone laughed at him "yeah right - ferrari sucks everyone has said and tried this before..." thats why i am a ferrari fan, nobody seems to remember when they were the underdog - zero technical capability, all passion, and disasterous results to prove it! hahaha brits ate them alive for breakfast, lunch and diner!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
correct - they all negotiate their contracts.

if there is any shame, its that the FIA allows them to, not that some teams are better at it than others.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
check into the modern history a bit, ferrari ruined the careers of the worlds greatest drivers... until schumacher! he said "we will create a new era of ferrari dominance" and everyone laughed at him "yeah right - ferrari sucks everyone has said and tried this before..." thats why i am a ferrari fan, nobody seems to remember when they were the underdog - zero technical capability, all passion, and disasterous results to prove it! hahaha brits ate them alive for breakfast, lunch and diner!
Without Ross Brawn, MS's impact would never have been so great. It was the fact that a BIG group of ex Benneton guys went with him to Ferrari that enabled the "magic" transformation. IMHO Michael gets too much of the credit. Yes, he was an amazing driver, but even he couldn't win 7 championships driving a turd.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
^^ well thats what i ment. more than just a driver ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts