The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Ferrari Times Square Shootout

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ekological 
#1 ·
Hello Lotus fans,
Two weekends ago a group of Ferrari enthusiasts secured the permits to block off a portion of Times Square for a photo shoot.

I've got a few friends in that group and was invited. It was awesome!

I wanted to share some of the pictures I took and a video I got from one of the guys. Like myself, the person driving the car in the video is an Elise deposit holder and due to take delivery in the next several months.

http://www.carclubevents.com/videos/Times Square - Emil.wmv

Car enthusiasts are few and far between here. Are there any Elise owners/deposit holders in New York City?
Best,
John

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
OK quick question. I have seen people black out plates on photos they post and then JWA says its not a good idea to make your plate visible. Well when you drive down the road and park who knows where you plates are available for all to see. All those masses in NYC saw the plate numbers. Vin #'s are wide out in the open as well.

What exactly is the point of blocking them out? What can potential evil-doers do with your plate number?

#4 ·
I suspect the reason for blacking out the plates is that video has a long shelf-life.

If Emil is ever unfortunate enough to have to file a Ferarri vs. Taxi insurance claim, or someone has an Elise vs. Harley civil liability case on DT, then video that shows a license plate is probably a lot more damning than video without.

As for x'ing out VINs, it would require a thief to case the car twice, first to get the VIN, then to come back and steal it. If they already know the VIN and owner address, they can have the key cut beforehand. Okay, I'm stretching here..

#5 ·
Donovan said:
OK quick question. I have seen people black out plates on photos they post and then JWA says its not a good idea to make your plate visible. Well when you drive down the road and park who knows where you plates are available for all to see. All those masses in NYC saw the plate numbers. Vin #'s are wide out in the open as well.

What exactly is the point of blocking them out? What can potential evil-doers do with your plate number?
I didn't mean that, and I really have no opinion either way about photos of license plates online.

I simply meant that that was rather aggressive driving in a very busy intersection when leaving a unique event made possible by special permission being given by the city. While I highly doubt that any LEO would spend the time or really care, it just generally seems like a bad idea to advertise it when you push the envelope with regards to the law.

#8 ·
Ground Loop,
Actually, you're not stretching at all! I have several friends who are out in Long Island and live in constant paranoia over their car being stolen. One of them removed his VIN plate years ago and, on a daily basis, consciously scopes the area before pulling his car into his garage.

That said, in Manhattan it's not such a worry since the lots are attended. Some of the garages up here have more security than the typical residence.
Best,
John
PS Emil is hosting the videos and chose to leave the license plate visible.

Ground Loop said:
I suspect the reason for blacking out the plates is that video has a long shelf-life.

If Emil is ever unfortunate enough to have to file a Ferarri vs. Taxi insurance claim, or someone has an Elise vs. Harley civil liability case on DT, then video that shows a license plate is probably a lot more damning than video without.

As for x'ing out VINs, it would require a thief to case the car twice, first to get the VIN, then to come back and steal it. If they already know the VIN and owner address, they can have the key cut beforehand. Okay, I'm stretching here..

#9 ·
JBurer said:
Hello Lotus fans,
Two weekends ago a group of Ferrari enthusiasts secured the permits to block off a portion of Times Square for a photo shoot.

I've got a few friends in that group and was invited. It was awesome!

I wanted to share some of the pictures I took and a video I got from one of the guys. Like myself, the person driving the car in the video is an Elise deposit holder and due to take delivery in the next several months.

http://www.carclubevents.com/videos/Times Square - Emil.wmv

Car enthusiasts are few and far between here. Are there any Elise owners/deposit holders in New York City?
Best,
John
I was traveling 'east' on the Belt PkWay a few weeks
ago when a Ferrari zoomed by me, heading 'west', followed soon after by
a police cruiser. Then, another twenty
to twenty-five Ferrari's zoomed by and
a bit later I saw one more police cruiser in pursuit. I guess he was hoping to catch the last one in line.....
eventually. Never saw that much expensive rolling stock under way on
a NY highway in my life before. It was
'definately' exhilerating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.