The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming Sunday, June 22 - 11am - 3pm.

Oak Street will be hosting over 65 Ferraris...

FERRARISONOAK.COM

This used to be a yearly event with the last on back in '06 I believe. Always a lot of fun, great cars, great shopping (okay I'm partial). If you are looking for something to do this weekend this event is a great one.

Stop by my store, Lester Lampert, and say hello. We are having a raffle for a Frederique Constant limited edition watch.

David

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Cool, I always loved this event and was bummed when they stopped it. Not sure if we'll be able to make it this year. Are they planning to do it more often?

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen that guy around. Although seems like it has been a while.

The hope is that this will happen every year again. In the past it wasn't financially worth doing from the Oak Street council's perspective. Believe it or not, in the past very few of the stores even bothered to open. We were always a supporter and I always enjoyed the event.

The Ferrari club is more active in making this happen this time so perhaps it will make sense to continue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Yes, I always thought it was odd that none of the stores were open during the event. Seemed like an oversight.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've seen that guy around. Although seems like it has been a while.
I used to live downtown a few years ago and saw the guy driving up and down Michigan ave - we would go "oh, it's that guy again". Also saw him just sitting in the car a few times at North ave beach while riding my bike down the lakefront.

I've been meaning to stop by the store just to say hi (since I'm not an expensive watch type of guy). I'll be sure to this weekend.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I grew up by Wrigley (Addison and Ravenswood), went to DePaul and lived in Lincoln Park/Old Town for 15 years before I moved to the burbs.

So, how the hell do I not know who THAT guy is? Certain people are famous in the area - but they are usually homeless:

- Mailbox Mary (used to terrorize Division/Rush bars).
- 'SteepleHead' - the guy who wore like 20 coats/hoods
- The 'Car Guy' - the homeless guy who thought he was a car and would walk down the middle of Michigan Avenue (using 'turn signals' and all)

And everyone's favorite - the 'Homeless Sam Elliot' guy. If you spent anytime near Michigan Ave in the late 90's/early 00's, you know this guy. Used to wear 70's style 'American Hustle' suits and looked JUST like Sam Elliott (hair/mustache) and would just walk around Michigan Ave/State Street/Rush/et al.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Oh, and BTW, is this the same event the Marchetti used to host (the family that owned Como Inn)? I remember going to it years ago.

Maybe David McNeil will bring his Enzo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it was the same event that Como inn put on but I'd guess they were involved. The cars are all coordinated through the local Ferrari club. In the past the two dealers were only involved via bringing cars... Don't recall them helping fund the event. Also, they won't let Perillo bring cars since they aren't an official dealer. Lots of politics (it is Chicago after all).

Definitely stop by and say hello. We are having a raffle to win a watch. I have plenty of items that are reasonably priced as well.

SwingLo, love that 70's guy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
quick question - what time is staging/roll in? Those will make for more interesting pictures.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Anything else going on that weekend? 9:30 is early so should be fine, but Michigan-ave ish can be a cluster eff on a summer weekend (tourists and all). Will probably park in the lot in the 900 N (Bloomingdales) building.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ok - since it's Pride Day, I should borrow a Miata!

:)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Anything else going on that weekend? 9:30 is early so should be fine, but Michigan-ave ish can be a cluster eff on a summer weekend (tourists and all). Will probably park in the lot in the 900 N (Bloomingdales) building.
I'm probably going to be sleeping in my car (I'm doing the L.A.T.E. ride) in one of Northwestern's lots (since I get discounted parking) until like 8:30am and then hang around Oak. Hopefully my huge white camera lens (ain't nothing like Canon L glass) will keep people from thinking I'm some vagrant.

Also:
Out of curiosity, I googled "Ferarri guy" - apparently he has quite a listing on encyclopedia dramatica (going to leave that one as an exercise for the curious)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts