The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i ordered an rps segmented flywheel and a act hd clutch from monkey, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on these parts before i install them.
06 elise custom turbo

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
What turbo, housing, and how much power you plan to put down?

·
Registered
648 Posts
What stage ACT clutch did you get? If you got a sprung 6 puck aka stage 3 it would be more then enough for the power your looking to make. Full face stage 2 from ACT is also very good. Overall build quality on ACT is very good compared to other options.

One note is that when you install the clutch you will have to adjust your pedal. ACT's are known for their low engagement points. I'm sure you already know all this. Another note would be there can be the off chance you might have to grind part of the pressure plate housing.

·
Registered
454 Posts
What stage ACT clutch did you get? If you got a sprung 6 puck aka stage 3 it would be more then enough for the power your looking to make. Full face stage 2 from ACT is also very good. Overall build quality on ACT is very good compared to other options.

One note is that when you install the clutch you will have to adjust your pedal. ACT's are known for their low engagement points. I'm sure you already know all this. Another note would be there can be the off chance you might have to grind part of the pressure plate housing.
What year is your car? Mine is an 05 and from what I understand you can't adjust the pedal.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is an 06...the kit is fairly close to ff 275, what do you mean grind the pressure plate-do you mean the friction surface??? iv'e never heard of thison a new clutch. do you have experience with the rps segmented flywheel?
act hd street clutch with organic disc (im not a track guy)

·
Registered
438 Posts
dealing with this stuff every single day of the week i like to be able to see these type of threads and correct people before they go further and keep using the wrong terms and advising things the wrong way.

1. There is no such thing as a "Stage" 1,2,3...or 15. "Stage" was a term used by certain companies which started with Clutchmasters and people just started using it with other brands.

2. ACT has 10 different clutches for this application that would work, none of them are called stages like said. Clutches are rated by how much FTLBS of Torque they can handle. That said you go backwards and figure out how much power you want to ultimately make, or might possibly make in the long run before needing another clutch.

3. Decide if you want a full faced clutch or a puck style. If you drive the car at all on the street and arent going to be making over 300ftlbs tq, which covers 90% of the lotus owners, then the ACT extreme pressure plate with full faced disc is by far, hands down the best option anyone can get.

With Flywheels you basically have the option of going alum. or not, you can ditch the stock and go a little lighter w/another steel flywheel but you'd be better off just getting a Fidanza. Another missconception is that a light weight flywheel will not drive well....wrong. The difference is the weight, so the engine will rev up slightly faster, and rev down slighly faster, when i say slightly, you'd have to go from a heavy stock flywheel to a light weight one in order to really know there is much of a difference.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the rps segmented flywheel is supposedly about 10 pounds where the fidanza is (im told) about 7lbs the stock is like 15??
i have found that chromoly flywheels make less noise (gear clatter). the super-light flywheels that i have tried i didn't like...so i have gone with a little lighter flywheel not "as light as possible"....the whole segmented flywheel thing is supposed to resist warping. i just wanted to know if anyone else has tried one...if it feels different or anything....my car will see 10 psi daily and 13 psi on occasion. i dont track the car but i do standing starts at the dragstrip and for fun once in a while the ff275 kit makes about 240-250whp on 7-7 psi so i would guess my torque is maybe 200-225. the stock clutch is not slipping but rather it chatters once in a while when i first let the clutch out in 1st gear...i am thinking minor hot-spots in the flywheel.
monkey wrench supplied the clutch and fly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well...after 350 miles...the setup feels great...the pedal is slightly stiffer but not so much that my wife couldn't drive the car...shifts faster, no gear clatter or chatter when starting off or shifting...overall i am very happy with the product and am glad i did not go more aggressive due to the stock clutch and flywheel looked new when i removed them...they might even make their way onto someones elise for real cheap if they were interested.
thanks mwr
chad

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
i have an RPS Segmented flywheel and RPS clutch in my 1991 Nissan 300zxtt.
The flywheel hasn't given me any problems. It is half the weight of the oem unit and revvvvvvs very freely.
It is a beautiful piece of work.
Do you plan to install it yourself?

-Robert

the rps segmented flywheel is supposedly about 10 pounds where the fidanza is (im told) about 7lbs the stock is like 15??
i have found that chromoly flywheels make less noise (gear clatter). the super-light flywheels that i have tried i didn't like...so i have gone with a little lighter flywheel not "as light as possible"....the whole segmented flywheel thing is supposed to resist warping. i just wanted to know if anyone else has tried one...if it feels different or anything....my car will see 10 psi daily and 13 psi on occasion. i dont track the car but i do standing starts at the dragstrip and for fun once in a while the ff275 kit makes about 240-250whp on 7-7 psi so i would guess my torque is maybe 200-225. the stock clutch is not slipping but rather it chatters once in a while when i first let the clutch out in 1st gear...i am thinking minor hot-spots in the flywheel.
monkey wrench supplied the clutch and fly.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after 1000 miles still very satisfied....no probs. i have standing start launched the thing multiple times

·
Registered
566 Posts
Many people here are running Fidanza flywheels with no problems, including myself so I wouldnt worry too much.

I do know that LordZ had a hell of a time with a RPS flywheel/clutch setup...The flywheel didnt fit right and it tore up the edge of his oil pan. Then when they changed the flywheel the RPS clutch wouldnt go into gear without almost jamming it in. Needless to say he was very frustrated. Changed it out for an ACT and it was fine after that.

I decided to go with a Southbend SS-TZ clutch, and it has been great. It held through some very rough steady state WOT dyno runs with no problems. It is very streetable, yet grips well...and the pedal pressure is less than an ACT HD.

Highly recommend Southbend SS-TZ so far, but only have around 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i tried to buy a flywheel...from fidanza and several others...none available so i got the rps from mwr, looks different but i'm happy

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Why such pricing disparity...?

Sector111 sells the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel for 395.00, while Monkey wrench racing sells it for only 315.00. (80.00 gap)

Why is the s111's pricing gap so broad?

Similarly, the Fidanza 3.2 Kevlar clutch sells for 276.00 at monkeywrench, while S111 offers it for 346.00. (70.00 gap)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts