The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im seeing who would be interested in a LT Group Buy for Fikse Wheels for the Elise/Exige and Evora.

The reason I ask is Fikse Wheels has been bought by a local company in my area and are now being manufactured about 10 miles away from my front door. I stopped by yesterday and was talking to them and they are willing to do a group buy for LT on Elise/Exige/and Evora wheels as an introduction to their manufacturing wheels for the Lotus fitments. These will be forged three piece wheels with blind fasteners. (ie-the fastners for the wheels are not visible) The wheels are absolutely gorgeous BTW. Fikse Wheels (look at the Profil wheels). We will be able to order 4 different center styles and variety of finishes and as a part of the introductory group buy if it goes forward (see the Fikse web site). The wheels can also be custom anodized in a rainbow of colors. The earliest the group buy would proceed would be early July.

To take a look at some of the motorsport application for Fikse.
Fikse Wheels - Motorsport

The wheels are not cheap! Plan on a cost of $800 per corner. The final price will depend on the total participating. I don’t need firm commitments at this point, only serious expressions of interests before I go through the exercise of sitting down with Fikse and nailing down the details. I’m having a set done up for my Elise so if it is group buy of one for the Fikse Lotus fitment introduction then so be it. I’ll post pics.

The Elise Exige/ fitment will be:

Front – 16 x 7 – 32 mm offset - weight +/-14 lbs depending on center style chosen
Rear – 17 x 8 – 38 mm offset weight +/- 15 lbs depending on center style chosen

15” will not be available so a 15/16 is not an option at this time.

TPMS will not be included but can be mounted.

What fitment for the Evora would be best? (What are the sizes and offsets for Evora wheels?) The offsets will need to go up in 1/4” (6mm) increments. The dimensions need to be nailed down. The style and color will be up to the individual.

Pm me and I’ll start a list of those interested end follow up with more info as I have it.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
Are we limited to those wheel specs to get the GB pricing? I've been considering getting a set of wheels built by Fikse or CCW, but those specs are not aggressive enough for my tastes.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You are talking about the Elise Exige I assume. Based on my experience with Lotus Elise wheel fitments you can't go much wider without wider fenders/flares. The offsets too are pretty limited in the choices to fit in the fenders and not rub. What did you have in mind? If you have a magic formula that works I'd be interested. I have a set of three piece track wheels in those sizes and run Yoko 195 front and 245 rear and there is not much room left over.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fikse has dedicated CNC machines in a brand new facility in Langley BC for the wheel production. Kodiak fit the wheel manufacturing in around other aerospace projects. The turnaround time I was given yesterday for Fikse is 3 to 4 weeks. It largley depends on the finish chosen. They don't do any polishing in house it is done by a subcontractor. They mill the forging and rim sections ship out for finishing and depending on that process get the wheels back and assemble and ship to the customer. The milling is done within a few days of reicieving the orders. assembly and shipping take another week so the interim time is dependant on the subcontractors. They said yesterday that they currently are shipping 2 to 3 sets per day and have nothing outstanding past 3 weeks. That means that they are doing 160 to 240 wheels a month. Kodiak would take 8 months or more for that same volume.

The new CNC machines (I saw them working) turn out a beautifully machined piece. The rims are done on a new machine as well and the runout on the wheels is effectivly zero. They also machine flat spots for the stems instead of simply machiniong the hole as Kodiak did. That means TMPS is easier to fit.

I'm heading back out there next week hopefully and I'l ask if I can take some pics of the facility and some of the wheels in production and post them.

Fast + Forward any opinion on the wheel sizing and offsets? I don't think thers much room to wiggle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Can we go with wider widths & +/- in offset for the wheels or is that fixed?

Profil13, Classic Aro & Classic MachV look to be good choices in wheel design in Race/Titanium Black

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Can we go with wider widths & +/- in offset for the wheels or is that fixed?

Profil13, Classic Aro & Classic MachV look to be good choices in wheel design in Race/Titanium Black
Do you think anything wider is going to fit under the stock wheel wells?

San

·
Registered
641 Posts
Those offsets are pretty 'safe' and will fit most apps. If I'm dropping that kind of coin on some wheels, I'd run aggressive sizing like 16x8 & 17x9.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Those offsets are pretty 'safe' and will fit most apps. If I'm dropping that kind of coin on some wheels, I'd run aggressive sizing like 16x8 & 17x9.
As light as our cars are do you think the wider tires are ever going to get enough heat in them to provide more grip?

San

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Fikse and Kodiak

This is a funny question.

A few years ago Fikse went under.

Kodiak bought the company and the equipment. Picked it up in USANW and shipped everything to Canada. Kodiak is a Canadian company.

How would the delivery times be different? Although the production lines may be.... At least for the centers... Everybody buys hoops from China, now.

Anton

How's Fikse's turnaround time compared to Kodiak?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
You are talking about the Elise Exige I assume. Based on my experience with Lotus Elise wheel fitments you can't go much wider without wider fenders/flares. The offsets too are pretty limited in the choices to fit in the fenders and not rub. What did you have in mind? If you have a magic formula that works I'd be interested. I have a set of three piece track wheels in those sizes and run Yoko 195 front and 245 rear and there is not much room left over.
Volk is coming out with some new TE37s in what they're calling Elise/Exige fitment; the specs are as follows:
16x7.5 ET35
17x8.5 ET33

Calculations show that with a 245/40R17 tire in the rear, this setup would be about 15mm closer to the fender. From my own visual estimation, it seems like it would be questionable if this would fit without interference, but I find it strange that Volk would release official Lotus-fitment wheels that required a stretch to fit properly.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I would be interested in a set. I will provide the stock offsets and centre bore data, but personally I think the stock wheels don't fill out the wheel well as nicely I really want something more flush with the fender. I have a pair of Avarus AV3 19"s as my rear tires (temporary as my stock wheels are severely scraped). They've got 275/45ZR19 tires on them and it fills out the wheel well nicely, however they rub slightly under extreme loads during cornering. They jut out 1/4" beyond the fender, so I assume a wheel/tire combo that is flushed or just slightly in from the fender would clear the fender.

Anyway, here are the specs for Lotus Evora wheels:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is a funny question.

A few years ago Fikse went under.

Kodiak bought the company and the equipment. Picked it up in USANW and shipped everything to Canada. Kodiak is a Canadian company.

How would the delivery times be different? Although the production lines may be.... At least for the centers... Everybody buys hoops from China, now.

Anton
The hoops (wheel inner & outer shells) are done in house not bought from China. Fikse was bought by Kodiak and is set up in a brand new manufacuring facility with its own production CNC machines. So the answer your question "how would the delivery times be different?" is "They will be shorter."

As for the Elise/Exige fitments what would you expect to gain much from a wider wheel execpt 1) more weight 2) possible clearance issues?. Unless you punch out the fenders the tires that you are going to fit is a 195 or 205 on the front that fits perfectly on a 16 x 7 and 225 to 245 on the rear which fits just fine on the 17 x 8.

Are there any other tire wheel combinations that will work without modifications?

For the purposes of the group buy it will be 16 x 7 & 17 x 8. Wider wheels can be custom ordered and pay whatever the non group buy price is, or buy the other wider ones and deal with any clearace issues if they crop up.

I don't have any experience with the Evora and those sizes are open for discussion

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From a pure track point of view 15 / 16 is probaly the way to go. However alot of the buyers are not using the wheels exclusively for track and as the OEM wheels are 16/17 the idea was to duplicate the Cup wheel diameters, widths & offsets as it will appeal to the broadest range of Elise/Exige owners. Wider wheels in any combination of widths, colors offsets etc can be special ordered but are not part of this proposed group buy.

The Evora wheels will probably be 18/19 but we can determine the widths and offsets prior that will work for the majority of Evors owners. Here again though you can order anythin else as a special order just not as part of the group buy.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
158 Posts
The hoops (wheel inner & outer shells) are done in house not bought from China. Fikse was bought by Kodiak and is set up in a brand new manufacuring facility with its own production CNC machines. So the answer your question "how would the delivery times be different?" is "They will be shorter."

As for the Elise/Exige fitments would you would gain much from a wider wheel execpt 1) more weight 2) possible clearance issues?. Unless you punch out the fenders the tires that you are going to fit is a 195 or 205 on the front that fits perfectly on a 16 x 7 and 225 to 245 on the rear which fits just fine on the 17 x 8.

Are there any other tire wheel combinations that will work without modifications?

For the purposes of the group buy it will be 16 x 7 & 17 x 8. Wider wheels can be custom ordered and pay whatever the non group buy price is, or buy the other wider ones and deal with any clearace issues if they crop up.

I don't have any experience with the Evora and those sizes are open for discussion
Very well, I will concede on this. However, I do propose that we bump the offsets down a bit. Sector111 shows the RAC Monolites as:
16x7 ET24.6
17x8 ET31.6

Also, here's a picture of a car with a 17x8 ET30 rear:

Assuming we can adjust in 6mm increments from your currently proposed specs, I would propose the following:
16x7 ET26
17x8 ET32

What do you think?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fikse wheels are built to order. Becuase of this the offsets can be adjusted with the center thickness that is chosen. This will be a bit easier on the rear as there are several thickness of back pads in the Profil series existing. The front wheel however would be specific to this group, so you all have to get along and agree...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts