The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Promised I would post up once I got done dynoing my car.

Since my last dyno I noticed my blower was making some noise so I took it apart. Turns out it was related to a poorly cut pulley as well as a bracket that a friend made that cracked. I fixed the bracket and got a new pulley and all seems well.

Since everything was apart I decided to just go ahead and put in at least *some* form of an aftercooler. So it is just a "drop-in" core from MercRacing along with a heat exchanger from BOE fabrication. Neither of the pieces are ideal in terms of cooling however given the spacial constraints of our cars I will just have to make due; certainly better than nothing. And of course since the pulley was being recut, and it now had an intercooler I was convinced to run a smaller blower pulley - 3.25" pulley as opposed to the 3.5" I had on there before.

I buttoned everything up and took it to an auto-x with WAI over this past weekend. Had a great time and it was my first ever auto-x and first time really running this car up to (and beyond) its limits. Clearly the thing lacking the most was not the car but rather the nut behind the wheel. Honestly the car was better than expected. While it does have quite a bit of power, due to the fact that it is a positive displacement supercharger, it is EXTREMELY controllable. Feeling a little better about taking the car to a road course, but will probably take it to some more autocross as well to continue honing my slower speed and car control skills as well.

For those of you that don't know (or haven't already guessed) I do dyno tuning at a local dyno shop for their import/standalone/Chrysler applications. Last Thursday I took the car to the dyno and as it turns out the car I was there to tune ended up having issues so I had a chance to throw mine back up on the rollers. Here are the results:

383hp/278ft-lbs at the wheels! Pretty impressive. Makes me wish I would have went the cheap stock Honda K24A2 + blower route from the beginning! It has an absolutely BEAUTIFUL torque curve.

^^^ Yes the little VTEC dip was fixed. Was spending too much time on the low cam.

And now for a very cool overlay. This is my overlay of all my different K-series engine setups I have had in my car. These include:
1) (Current Setup) Stock K24A2, MPx90, ~14psi, Intercooled. E85. 383whp/278wtq
2) Stock K24A2, MPx90, 12.5psi, no cooling. E85. 342whp/243wtq
3) 12.5:1 built naturally aspirated k24/20. (Lightly ported K20 head, upgraded valvetrain Kelford B cams, Sk2 intake manifold). 93 octane. 284whp/198wtq

The setup for reference is:
- (Basically) Stock K24A2 Honda engine. From a 2006 Acura TSX.
- MPx90 supercharger kit on a RSX JRSC manifold. Pully'd for *almost* 14psi
- MercRacing drop-in intercooler, BOE Fabrication Heat Exchanger, Bosch Pump, MercRacing IC header tank
- 3" Intake, Skunk2 74mm throttle body.
- Custom exhaust header (actually made for my NA setup), 3" Custom Exhaust
- Walbro 255 intank pump, feeding a Integrated Engineering fuel surge tank with Bosch 044 fuel pump, hybrid racing fuel rail, Aeromotive regulator, 1300cc DW injectors. Runs E85.
- Hondata K-pro for tuning, tuned by West Bend Dyno (me)
- Stock K20A2 transmission (at least for now until it shreds itself), MFactory Helical LSD, Comp Clutch "Super Single" clutch
- Conversion kit is Innovative Mounts, except all wiring and dash converter provided by me, exhaust header made by a friend.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
Sweet! Those are some impressive numbers! You should bring the car up to Mequon tomorrow night for the Brew City Cruise night (its not a muscle cars and it is British night). I need to see this beast!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Those are some impressive numbers! You should bring the car up to Mequon tomorrow night for the Brew City Cruise night (its not a muscle cars and it is British night). I need to see this beast!
Yea I saw that. I actually work literally right up the road from there, and have stopped by the past.

Only problem is my 4-mo daughter has a doctor appointment tomorrow. So no getting out of that.

Any idea when the Brew City Cruise night goes until? If it is late enough I can probably convince the wife to let me out for an hour.

... And if I make it you have to promise not to laugh :eek:

Still a work in progress. Side scoops aren't on yet, nor is the undertray, diffuser, and misc bits/bites in the interior. :(

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
Yea I saw that. I actually work literally right up the road from there, and have stopped by the past.

Only problem is my 4-mo daughter has a doctor appointment tomorrow. So no getting out of that.

Any idea when the Brew City Cruise night goes until? If it is late enough I can probably convince the wife to let me out for an hour.

... And if I make it you have to promise not to laugh :eek:

Still a work in progress. Side scoops aren't on yet, nor is the undertray, diffuser, and misc bits/bites in the interior. :(
I don't know how I could laugh at a 383whp Lotus!

Usually I stick around till about 7:30, sometimes later if there is a good turnout.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Kverges,
I think the engine is only designed to spin to about 7500 rpms. Perhaps with valve spring and rod upgrades it *could* spin faster to achieve the 400 hp mark.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am mighty tempted to swap, but it would push me out of SSM class.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Kverges,
I think the engine is only designed to spin to about 7500 rpms. Perhaps with valve spring and rod upgrades it *could* spin faster to achieve the 400 hp mark.
Murray is just getting started with his k24 I'm pretty sure he can hit the 400. The crazy part is his torque numbers it's flat from idle!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't know how I could laugh at a 383whp Lotus!

Usually I stick around till about 7:30, sometimes later if there is a good turnout.
I'm gonna try my best to get out there. Her appointment is at 6 so I would guess I would get there right around 7:30. Hopefully I'll catch you before you leave.

Nice job! Gotta love that torque curve! I need the c38-91 lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Ahh you are on 93 octane and you still some left in your tune I'll bet! BTW if you are willing it would be good info to overlay your setup and mine. I would be curious to see how much I actually give up in the top end and how much you are giving up in the low/mid range.

Needs more R's. There is easily over 400 rwhp there over 8000
Yea torque is holding pretty solid. Hondata recommends not taking it past the 7600 rpm mark on the stock K24s as they fatigue much quicker past that point. But yea with springs/retainers I *could* spin it faster, but as addertooth mentioned ideally you would want better rods / rod bolts as well to go higher.

In the case of the NA K24 I had it had a k20 head with some valvetrain upgrades as well as a forged bottom end so I spun it to 8400.

Are those numbers only attainable on E85?
As exiged mentioned there are lots of ways to skin a cat. In this case e85 is sort my crutch, so as it sits I would say yes. With 93 octane I would have to knock the ignition timing back some for safety, and I would guess it would make maybe 15-20 whp less.

Otherwise if I had a really nice intercooler setup I could probably keep the timing close to where it is now and do the same on 93 octane. Else I could use a more expensive nicer supercharger (like a TVS, Rotrex, etc) and make even more on 93... just depends on how everything is configured. For example anywhere in the 400-500whp range is a common place on a Rotrex K20 on 93 octane. Just a different setup, that I couldn't realistically pull off given the spacial constraints in the Elise chassis. Interestingly Skunk2 *just* came out with a C30-94 Rotrex kit which likely would fit in the Elise and if I could do it all over with parts that exist today I would probably go with a higher revving stock K20 and the new skunk2 Rotrex kit. I would guess it would make somewhere around 400whp on 93, a bit more on E85.

For now I can't complain with what I got. Basically everything I have is off-the-shelf parts. Took a lot of time and effort, but at least there wasn't too much fab work needed, and everything is pretty cost effective. I always poke fun at it a little bit because it is quite literally a $1500 junkyard engine in there.

I am mighty tempted to swap, but it would push me out of SSM class.
Yea :(

Too bad they don't allow swapping between manufacturers. If they allowed it a NA K20/K23/K24 Elige could be AWEFULLY dominant in that class, due to weight (or lack thereof) that would be allowed.

Obviously you can always run in XP. But then you have people like Fred to deal with :crazyeyes

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I don't think Fred would let me win out of pity.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
sweet - :shift:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That thing definitely looks fast! The other videos of him on track with it are pretty impressive as well, car looks pretty well sorted!

Not sure if you know the guy or the car personally, but I am curious to see what he is doing for a transmission.

great numbers!! I would love to see your car one day.
Thanks, and likewise. I'd really like to check out Prototype's work on the kit you got.

If I ever make it up to Brainerd raceway or one of the others in MN I'll have to shoot you a message. If you ever make it to RA or something else around here keep in touch!

·
Inactive
831 Posts
380 mustang hp must be a faster more than mine (330 dynojet) since my car acceleration is acceptable in the lower gears, and you have 70+ more hp.

Now you need traction control. Gn0m4, you too.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
380 mustang hp must be a faster more than mine (330 dynojet) since my car acceleration is acceptable in the lower gears, and you have 70+ more hp.

Now you need traction control. Gn0m4, you too.
Have you no shame :p

Yea the acceleration through first and second is certainly a little iffy. In the colder weather (I noticed it tonight in the 60 degree air temp) it actually likes to dance a little bit if I go WOT abruptly in 3rd on the expressway. Although I will say it is MUCH better in the warm weather.

In any case I'm definitely excited to get the traction control once its available. It will be a blessing on the street and track!

Gn0m4:

What transmission are you running?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts