The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone found a location that they are pleased with? Everywhere on the windshield seems to block too much view. I am thinking about mounting on the dash just behind the vents or on the passenger side where it only blocks my view of the RF fender and the windshield wiper. Garmin sends an adhesive plate for that, but it looks pretty permanent!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I have a Rand McNally fully manual GPS.rotfl Lightweight, takes up almost no space at all.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've been stumped by the same issue. Most of the time it's just sitting in my lap or on the passengers seat.:shrug:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Here's my solution. Even with the plastic disk, the suction cup lost grip a couple times in the winter but a rubber bumper wedged between the mounting arm and the top of the bottom tray lip has solved that; you can vaguely see the translucent bumper in the second picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
I put my garmin dead center as low on the windshield as I could. works pretty well IMO

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's my solution. Even with the plastic disk, the suction cup lost grip a couple times in the winter but a rubber bumper wedged between the mounting arm and the top of the bottom tray lip has solved that; you can vaguely see the translucent bumper in the second picture.
I've been thinking of doing this exact thing but wasn't sure how it would work. Glad to see that it does. I know what I'm doing later today :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Do they not have pedestrians in Kansas City? Does the existing mirror not block enough of your view, that you had to block some more of it? Do you not make right turns on streets that have crosswalks?

That's unsafe, and if I were a cop I would write you up for it. Those things shouldn't be mounted anywhere near eye level.

That said, I use mine for a snow shovel.

Edit: Yes, mount it somewhere on the dash.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do they not have pedestrians in Kansas City? Does the existing mirror not block enough of your view, that you had to block some more of it? Do you not make right turns on streets that have crosswalks?

That's unsafe, and if I were a cop I would write you up for it. Those things shouldn't be mounted anywhere near eye level.

That said, I use mine for a snow shovel.

Edit: Yes, mount it somewhere on the dash.
The way I sit, I see traffic, pedestrians, etc. under the mirror. The Nuvi, mounted on the mirror blocks very little for me that is not already blocked by the mirror and sun visors. And as you can see from the picture, I still have full view out the back. Unfortunately, the mirror ball joint is not strong enough to hold the mirror with the extra weight.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Okay, maybe height is an issue, the mirror is exactly at eye level for me and it's downright unsafe to drive around with a giant blindspot covering the crosswalk when you're turning right. If I'm in Manhattan or something I know I have to duck and look around it because there will inevitably be people in the crosswalk, but I could see myself getting lazy in a place like Kansas City and plowing into some random old lady walking her doggie. I got a Micro Mirror and that solved most of the problem at the expense of some rear visibility, that thing really is micro. I'm thinking about going with what another forum poster did and installing an aftermarket mirror from Mexican Zone that's a slightly more proportional fit for this car. Not to disrespect the awesome build quality of the Micro Mirror.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like this one! But it looks like your mount has an extra hinge compared to mine. My mount looks like it will angle down slightly. And I am still not seeing your rubber bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am seeing the bumber. Half inch thick, 3/4 inch diameter? I found this mount on Garmin's web site for just under $30. Does that look more like what you have?

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The way I sit, I see traffic, pedestrians, etc. under the mirror. The Nuvi, mounted on the mirror blocks very little for me that is not already blocked by the mirror and sun visors.
But you still have something that changes ("moves") in you line of sight - that is fairly dangerous (although all to common).

I find it very annoying to be driving down the freeway and notice the car next to me with a display posted half way down the windshield (usually under the mirror) not only blocking a large part of the view out of the windshield, but also producing a bright glare in the driver's eyes at night (heck it's lit up enough that I'm noticing it from the next car). Besides being distracting, it kills your night vision.

If you have to have a GPS, mount it low, out of the line of sight out the windshield. But I'm with Kestrel - I still use the manual, portable, foldaway, flat, Rand McNally type of system.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But you still have something that changes ("moves") in you line of sight - that is fairly dangerous (although all to common).

I find it very annoying to be driving down the freeway and notice the car next to me with a display posted half way down the windshield (usually under the mirror) not only blocking a large part of the view out of the windshield, but also producing a bright glare in the driver's eyes at night (heck it's lit up enough that I'm noticing it from the next car). Besides being distracting, it kills your night vision.

If you have to have a GPS, mount it low, out of the line of sight out the windshield. But I'm with Kestrel - I still use the manual, portable, foldaway, flat, Rand McNally type of system.
OK ... my wife (and daughter) got me this for Father's Day. She has a Honda Odyssey with a seven inch, in dash, GPS system that she thinks is wonderful. I do like it on trips, especially in Tulsa, where they think left exits are cool. In the Elise, I am OK with the flat foldy type, too, but I did carry an older hiking/biking Garmin 76CS with street maps for rare ocassions. It typically sat in the passenger seat when in use.

I do like the Nuvi 265WT. It has a much larger screen than the 76CS and I can download traffic camera locations. And don't worry, it will not be back on the mirror. I just found a friction mount at Amazon for $24.78 that will sit on the dash. I will probably also get Amazon's vent mount for $4.99 more (with free shipping for over $25 total), and try them both. I can always fall back to the passenger seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Suction cup mounted low on the far left portion of the windscreen. The GPS hangs just slightly over the top of the driver's air vent but does not block access to the vent or airflow. Very little of the windscreen is blocked. The small portion that is blocked mainly just shows the left front hump and headlight cover.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Okay, maybe height is an issue, the mirror is exactly at eye level for me and it's downright unsafe to drive around with a giant blindspot covering the crosswalk when you're turning right. If I'm in Manhattan or something I know I have to duck and look around it because there will inevitably be people in the crosswalk, but I could see myself getting lazy in a place like Kansas City and plowing into some random old lady walking her doggie. I got a Micro Mirror and that solved most of the problem at the expense of some rear visibility, that thing really is micro. I'm thinking about going with what another forum poster did and installing an aftermarket mirror from Mexican Zone that's a slightly more proportional fit for this car. Not to disrespect the awesome build quality of the Micro Mirror.
First dibs on your Micro Mirror if you do!:nanner2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts