The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
funny, 2 artic silvers came up at same time...both going for msrp...1 with no reserve at msrp and other hasnt met reserve but must be close cause he claimed bidding starts at msrp...both completely loaded...dont like color or would jump on it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What's concerning is that the high number of cars available suggests that a fair number of people on the list were 'speculators.' Some may have been dealers that put ghost names on the list, some are individuals.

The premiums are minimal now, and falling. If there are still more speculators awaiting delivery (I suspect that there are quite a few), cars may be available below MSRP shortly. I guess a speculator who has not yet received the car can always back out of the deal and lose a deposit, so that puts a floor in at some point.

I was shopping around to get a car 'early' a few weeks ago, and made calls to several dealers. I've recieved quite a few calls from them lately, so there seem to be a good number of cars available for immediate delivery. I've already spec'd mine, so now I'll wait for MSRP.:)

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I think the onset of winter has a lot to do with the drop too. Someone posted a couple of days ago that they expect to see premiums again come spring- and that would'nt surprise me.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how funny, now there are 3 artic silvers on ebay...what are the odds...one guy is selling spot cause he doesnt have the car yet...I have a weird feeling I will have a car soon and wont be dependent on Southbay

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Gang,

Not so sure about premiums in the spring. Another thread mentioned VIN #1,716 scheduled for delivery in February. Quick math would say there will be about 1,500 Elise in the US come March/April. This is a niche car. I would expect MSRP to be the norm until the end of next summer/fall, when supply & demand really meet and then sub-MSRP will be the norm. Just speculation - but this is what has happened in the past with hot cars (Miata, NSX, Viper, Prowler, Minis, etc.). Once production catches up the gap on hard core demand (us here on ET), there will be lots of used cars from speculators and owners moving on to compete with new cars.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Chris

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agree with Chris, I think this car behave similar to other previous "hot" cars....by next spring/summer, I doubt anybody will pay msrp for a used car and premiums will be a done deal...as you can tell, alot of people were either speculators or didnt know what they were buying.

·
Registered
538 Posts
ChrisStarrUSA said:
Gang,

Not so sure about premiums in the spring. Another thread mentioned VIN #1,716 scheduled for delivery in February. Quick math would say there will be about 1,500 Elise in the US come March/April.

Chris
I thought there was general agreement that the VIN numbers don't only represent U.S. deliveries.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I thought there was general agreement that the VIN numbers don't only represent U.S. deliveries.
That's right. The first 600 or so were US only, then it switched to include the ROW (when the ROW shifted from 2004 to the 2005 model year). By Feb, if 600 plus another 550 (half of the 1,716) come in, that makes about 1,150 in the US by February. This assumes 50% of production is coming to US (read elsewhere). If we are at 1,150 in Feb, we should be at 1,500+/- by March/April. This is obviously back-of-the-envelope, but you get the point.

Hope this makes sense, I'm tired! :p

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.