The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally saw an Elise in person for the first time and it was an outstanding experience, overall. As I live six hours from any Lotus dealership, and have been mostly overseas since deliveries began, it took me a while.

When I first saw the Elise, a black dealer demo, I was amazed at how no photograph I've ever seen does it justice in many regards. For some reason, photographs don't capture the dimensional curvaciousness of the entire car. The other factor photos don't truly capture is how small this car is, especially in the interior. It is a breathtakingly exotic car, and different than anything I've experienced both visually and in driving. I never have noticed how much more wide the rear end of the car is than the front, until in person.

As I was just hoping to "see" the Elise, I was surprised when the salesperson said, "hop in", we'll go for a drive! He drove a few blocks and he let me take over the controls. All I can say is, that it was a short, low-speed test-drive around a few city blocks, but it left me wanting more, and needing more, as it had a much different feel than my 99 Corvette, or any other car I've driven. It's smooth, and going around corners, sticks like glue with no lean. I didn't rev it high, mainly out of respect for the 300-miles only on the car, but look forward to getting it out and really seeing what it can do.

All that being said, I have to say, the small interior is really going to be a factor of ownership. I'm a "big-boned", 5-11", 220-pounds and I fit like an OJ-Simpson glove in the driver seat (except I actually fit in). Thankfully I can lose some weight before delivery next Spring, to make the fit a little less snug, but I certainly can't gain ten pounds and be comfortable in this car for sure! Additionally, two normal-sized Americans will be rubbing shoulders. The car didn't have a top on it, and I can only imagine how challenging the ingress/egress will be!

Bottom line...it's an amazingly unique car and experience and there will likely be nothing else like it on the road in our lifetimes. I'm looking forward to ownership!

Dave

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
X000000101 said:
All that being said, I have to say, the small interior is really going to be a factor of ownership. I'm a "big-boned", 5-11", 220-pounds and I fit like an OJ-Simpson glove in the driver seat (except I actually fit in). Thankfully I can lose some weight before delivery next Spring, to make the fit a little less snug, but I certainly can't gain ten pounds and be comfortable in this car for sure! Additionally, two normal-sized Americans will be rubbing shoulders. The car didn't have a top on it, and I can only imagine how challenging the ingress/egress will be!
Dave
Interesting you should say that. When we were having dinner after my test drive my friend remarked to me that the seats were too big and left a bit of room to slide around in. I had noticed that I had a couple of extra inches when I was driving it. Mind you I'm what most would call 'spindly.'

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Finally experienced "The Elise"

NMRJock said:
Interesting you should say that. When we were having dinner after my test drive my friend remarked to me that the seats were too big and left a bit of room to slide around in. I had noticed that I had a couple of extra inches when I was driving it. Mind you I'm what most would call 'spindly.'
Yeah, for better or worse, I currently fit absolutely perfectly in the seat width-wise. I'm used to having room in my other vehicles, it was a snug sensation. Since ideally, in a sports car, you don't want to be jostling around, I'm doing okay in that regard.

However...I'd already planned on starting a new health routine next Monday anyway, and the need to fit better in and jump in/out of the Elise only emphasizes the need to lose inches.

A combination of more exercise, Seattle Sutton meals, and Cortislim beginning next Monday...five pounds a month off should have me at 190 by delivery!

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Three more details I forgot to mention...

I wear size 11 D shoes and did have to pay attention to not hit both pedal and brake, after a few double-hits. That will be a combination of technique and wearing shoes without oversized soles (as previously discussed in the "barefoot" threads).

I was surprised how light, clunky and almost too-loose the shifter was. I pictured a lawnmower sized cable underneath the shifter given its feel and sound. Hopefully this was just a "demo-car" issue...as some shifter feel/feedback and lack of clunky cable noise would be good. I've noticed this issue on other threads too...seems like a small trend.

The exhaust note was throaty, precise, and awesome on this touring package car!

Dave

·
Registered
529 Posts
X000000101 said:
I I was surprised when the salesperson said, "hop in", we'll go for a drive!

Not sure if "surprised" is the right word here...if I was a salesman, I'd never leave the car and would be peer pressuring everybody to take it out with me! :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Did the car salesman bought you into his cubicle after the test drive and offered you a great low monthly payment?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
agent.5 said:
Did the car salesman bought you into his cubicle after the test drive and offered you a great low monthly payment?
I was surprised and pleased at the lack of pressure...gave me a card and some brochures...great salesperson in all respects!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
X000000101 said:
gave me a card and some brochures...
:( I have the car, but I still don't have the brochures...:(

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Tim,
The brochure isn't all that great, it's a folder with several single pages and NO good views of the car, perhaps next year they'll have something better, btw? Coming to LOG?
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts