The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it took me 6 days working about 5-8 hours (mostly evening) per day. Yeah, I'm slow - but not on track ;) - but I don't know Loti interiors at all so it took me some time and I wanted to do a better than factory (and I mean that) install (Factory install of the Alpine was horrible).

It was definitely worth the experience, but I don't wanna do it again, my fingers are numb.

Anyway, some pics:

JL 5.25 Rear speakers

JL 5.25 Front speakers

Pioneer AVIC-N4 Head Unit

Pioneer AVIC-N4 iPOD screen

Pioneer AVIC-N4 NAV screen

Shifter brace

Shifter Brace Top

Review Camera on license plate

Schroth PROFI II ASM Harness

Love the Pioneer AVIC-N4, watching my rear view fly by on 1/2 the LCD while the other 1/2 is doing NAV is pretty trippy. G-meter is working great as is the speed sensor wire Lotus provided. GPS antenna pulls in a strong signal and seems very accurate. DVD Movies look great -- well at least Matrix does...I'll save A Clockwork Orange for later...

JL 5.25 all the way around sound 150% better than the Alpines.

Thanks to Jim and all those that helped point me in the right direction for wiring specifics and speakers and braces and...much appreciated.

Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow/greenish wire that Lotus provide as part of their stereo wiring harness -- works like a charm. Shows my speedo as about 2-3 mph over what it reads.

Now if I could only figure out how to watch DVD's while moving more than 5 mph...grounding the parking brake wire didn't do it...any hints/suggests how to get around the Movie video turning off while moving over 5 mph?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Skibum,

Perfect! Thank you. All good now.

Now, if I could just get a software hack/update that will convert the G-meter to showing G's rather than that "level" of acceleration/deceleration and turn rate. I'm looking for the G spot :)

Tandemracer,

Yes I should be watching the road, one eye on the road one eye on the movie -- it's called multi-tasking some folks can do it some can't -- unfortunately laws get put in place because there are some that can't do this and crash and/or kill others -- it's the government's way of trying to address a specific problem with a giant hammer. Rather than step up the drivers license program (and lets be honest, in the US you can be blind and dead and still get a license) the government just handicaps everyone cause it's the simple solution. I disagree completely with this approach to licensing, there should be different grades of licenses (beyond basic vehicle type, motorcycle, truck, etc.) because us humans ARE NOT all the same.

But watching a movie while driving is sorta like monitoring one's gauges while racing, it becomes 2nd nature after a while -- same as racing shifter karts, getting back into a street/track car and everything seems to happen in SLOW MOTION.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Well it took me 6 days working about 5-8 hours (mostly evening) per day. Yeah, I'm slow - but not on track ;) - but I don't know Loti interiors at all so it took me some time and I wanted to do a better than factory (and I mean that) install (Factory install of the Alpine was horrible).

It was definitely worth the experience, but I don't wanna do it again, my fingers are numb.

Anyway, some pics:

JL 5.25 Rear speakers

JL 5.25 Front speakers

Pioneer AVIC-N4 Head Unit

Pioneer AVIC-N4 iPOD screen

Pioneer AVIC-N4 NAV screen

Shifter brace

Shifter Brace Top

Review Camera on license plate

Schroth PROFI II ASM Harness

Love the Pioneer AVIC-N4, watching my rear view fly by on 1/2 the LCD while the other 1/2 is doing NAV is pretty trippy. G-meter is working great as is the speed sensor wire Lotus provided. GPS antenna pulls in a strong signal and seems very accurate. DVD Movies look great -- well at least Matrix does...I'll save A Clockwork Orange for later...

JL 5.25 all the way around sound 150% better than the Alpines.

Thanks to Jim and all those that helped point me in the right direction for wiring specifics and speakers and braces and...much appreciated.

Rob.
What kind of rear view camera is that Robains? I'm looking to do the same Pioneer system as you, but I don't know what kind of camera to choose from. I was looking on Crutchfield and they had a few selections. Has anyone ever heard of the brand Boyo? If yes, how is the quality?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, it is the Boyo -- works about as well as I could expect (a little better image quality than my wife's Prius backup camera, but not much better). I got it from Crutchfield. Be sure you lock the tilt in place after you position it -- there are two VERY small screws that you need to tighten up.

If anyone is wondering about my shifter brace mod, I found that piece (it's not brass, not sure what metal it is but it is VERY strong) at Ace Hardware and it fit the hole enforcement tab perfectly. I wanted to use the existing lotus hole enforcer because they are stronger than just using the aluminum base. But the console rigidity and shifting is considerably better now.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
More pics as requested:

GPS Antenna Location

Reverse Trigger and Camera and GPS wiring to rear

GPS Antenna wiring attach 1

GPS Antenna wiring attach 2

Reverse Trigger and Camera wiring to rear

Pioneer Hide Away mount location

Rear View camera with Nav split screen

Rear View camera when in Reverse (Full screen)

Rear View camera when driving in traffic with Nav

Rear View camera when driving thru tunnel

Rear speakers used existing holes, the only thing I added was more insulation material. Existing speakers in the rear are 5.25 so no fit issues at all and they clear my V-Force harness bar.

Jim, it sounds great and thank you for the rings. Glad I went with JL -- but dang that E6000 glue made me dizzy ;)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you sir...this is by far the best NAV I've used -- Toyota's NAV is horrible, BMW is not very sophisticated, Honda's (Ridgeline) was the best until I used this Pioneer and it's 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of factory NAVs and does a lot more.

Very happy with it so far.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the screen is huge...how do u get A/C? it blocks the vents!

I bet the stereo is awesome and all, but I don't get the DVD player etc. Car is too small, too much going on to distract driver.

I guess I just think an Elise is for driving.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not exactly sure why a NAV/DVD/Stereo would stop you from driving?

It's an Exige S BTW.

A/C works fine thru the other vents -- it was 110 here the other day, no issues at all with the A/C.

Like I said, some drivers can handle it, some can't.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
beautiful work...and nice nav system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts