The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally going for my test drive? (updated with pictures/video)!

Ahhh!

I'm pumped. I'm off to Chicago this upcoming weekend and am going over to Fox Valley Friday afternoon for my Elise test drive.

The green demo they had has been sold (being delivered tomorrow) but there is another beasty for me to drive...

IN OTHER NEWS: Bill Jr. asked me if I wanted to be on the next order list. Oh my God - that's outstanding - how many people have dropped off their list? I am/was #165. He wanted to know who's serious and wants to commit to ordering. I'll be locked in when I order (and deposit another $2k). He also said they're on track for delivering their promised 40 cars by Halloween. It would be WONDERFUL to get the car late winter/early spring.

So, anyway - what things do I look for in a test drive? I've test driven hundreds of cars in my lifetime but this one is definitely the most special - because I'm actually getting one ;)

I'm pumped! Pumped! PUMPED!

Sorry Randy if this should be in another group :)

I'll be taking lots of pictures.

Ahhh!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Congrats.

Just have fun mainly. Make sure you fit. Make sure you like it. Drive it.

Nothing special.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Just make sure you will be able to use the car for your intended purpose. Did you have fun and were you able to accept the car for what it is (and what it isn't)? After that, it comes down to what you are looking for in a sports car and then you can begin to evaluate the individual components of the driving experience like the noise, steering, braking, engine, transmission, etc.

However, it's impossible to look for everything in one testing, so you might as well relax and enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Vantage said:
Just make sure you will be able to use the car for your intended purpose. Did you have fun and were you able to accept the car for what it is (and what it isn't)?
That's a great point, but the hard part is that this car is such a hoot that it's going to take an effort to maintain an objective mind. Then again, I sure as hell am not buying this car for an 'objective' reason, maybe you are not either. Be sure to call me, I think we're in for a joint run to the Plaza for a cup o' joe. :D

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Yeah for me it was:

1) Do I fit
2) Can I imagine having a conversation with the passenger (too loud?)
3) Is it enough fun to drive to be worth giving up the current car in excange for a warranty.

[Answer key: 1) Yes, 2) Yes, 3) More than enough! (YMMV)]

·
Registered
758 Posts
Look for other cars ! :)

I don't wanna read about how some loon killed an Elise on a test drive :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wow....I'm 208 over at FVMC. I wonder what that means if he is already looking to book the order?

I was out there last week and he didn't say anything to me about that.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
thillIX said:
Wow....I'm 208 over at FVMC. I wonder what that means if he is already looking to book the order?

I was out there last week and he didn't say anything to me about that.
Hopefully, for you, Fox Valley is at the top of that allotment
range mentioned by John English (140
cars per 12 months).

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh! Update!

My Elise test drive

Wow!

That's all I have to say...

Went to FVMC about 1pm Friday afternoon for my Elise test drive. They had a lovely black LTS Touring Elise out front. Bill Jr. was not there so I didn't get an update on allocation and numbers and such :(

The weather was drizzly and temperature was 47 degrees - not ideal conditions but what can you do?

Ingress/egress with the soft top on was not as bad as I remembered - having previously tried in at the Chicago auto show this past February.

My brother-in-law, Joseph (who has finally and safely! returned from Iraq) came along with me on the test drive. I'm 5'11" about 205lbs. (going to lose that soon!), Joe's about 6'1" and 230lbs - Gas tank was full - this would prove to be a "worst-case-scenario" for acceleration and such. Neither Joe nor I had any problems with comfort or headroom.

I didn't (and wouldn't) do any aggressive launches. You do have to rev a bit to start off though. It stalled twice at stop lights. Exhaust sounds ok (a tad flat though) - the QuickSilver is going to be a definite upgrade.

Here's a tiny QuickTime movie of 2nd-3rd gear acceleration 33mph-83mph, 7.82 seconds.

http://www.drjanestewart.com/darksol/100_0820.MOV

33mph - 47mph (4350rpm - 6200rpm where 2nd cam kicks in): 1.94 seconds (14 mph in 1.94 seconds, 7.21 mph/sec)
47mph - 66mph (6200rpm - 8500rpm redline): 2.24 seconds (19 mph in 2.24 seconds, 8.48 mph/sec)
(2nd-3rd shift 0.4 seconds)
66mph - 83mph (3rd gear where I stopped): 3.24 seconds (17 mph in 3.24 seconds, 5.25 mph/sec)

It was very snug, very comfortable, very low. A Volkswagen Bug beside me at a stop light looked HUGE. I never had to raise my voice to talk. Stereo sounded ok - but it was only on for 30 seconds. I'm not an audiophile so what do I know? ;)

I couldn't unfortunately take advantage of the handling, slalom and lateral G capability due to conditions but I certainly liked the immediate "right now" steering in turns and lane changes.

The visibility was far better than I expected - consider the fact I had a delSol VTEC before this with the same fat b-pillars. I loved the big fat flanks you see when you look in the side mirrors behind you. Kind looks like a Testarossa... ;)

The trunk is much smaller than I remembered. Oh well no biggie.

I did NOT like the feel of the shifter - it was far too hard to find 3rd gear. Short shifter is a must. If only this beasty had S2000 or Miata shifting... but then again both of those cars have the transmission right UNDERNEATH the shifter so what can you do? Perhaps harder shifter bushings. The reverse lift ring thing was weird.

I don't know what else to say... it was glorious to finally experience the beasty in person... I have the sneaky feeling it's going to be more of a daily driver than I'm telling my wife... ;)

"Honey, can you take the kids to daycare in the minivan? I have to go in to work early in the Elise..."

must
stop
grinning

:clap:

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zvezdah1 said:
wow! 2 200+ pounders, whichever one of you ended up passenger had a really snug fit!
Chris
I know... I know... I was 165 when I got married 3 years ago... HAVE... TO... GET... BACK!

When I get a build date I'll start a corresponding diet to match delivery!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I lost 26 pounds over last Winter. Dieting alone was agony. But a low Carb diet with lots of exercise worked great. About 30-90 minutes a day of cardio and weights. Somehow the low carb plus working out was nearly painless and very effective.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Ahhh! Update!

darkSol said:
Here's a tiny QuickTime movie of 2nd-3rd gear acceleration 33mph-83mph, 7.82 seconds.

http://www.drjanestewart.com/darksol/100_0820.MOV

33mph - 47mph (4350rpm - 6200rpm where 2nd cam kicks in): 1.94 seconds (14 mph in 1.94 seconds, 7.21 mph/sec)
47mph - 66mph (6200rpm - 8500rpm redline): 2.24 seconds (19 mph in 2.24 seconds, 8.48 mph/sec)
(2nd-3rd shift 0.4 seconds)
66mph - 83mph (3rd gear where I stopped): 3.24 seconds (17 mph in 3.24 seconds, 5.25 mph/sec)

even with a passenger the car was this quick, huh. Not bad at all. Thanks for the clip, the car sounds fantastic.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Re: Ahhh! Update!

darkSol said:

The trunk is much smaller than I remembered. Oh well no biggie.
I didn't think to check the trunk on my test drive, having seen the 111S trunk. I then saw someone's federal trunk at an autox, and was kind of shocked by the size. It was shallower than I remember it. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or does the federal exhaust system take up more space or something?

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Hi Darksol,
Your server may have run out of bandwidth, so perhaps you can post the files using Elisetalk's photopost instead. Thanks,

- J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts