The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my Mini back in June. I immediately started the mods, because I wasn't happy with the performance. My previous car was a 2009 Mini Clubman S with dealer JCW upgrade (intake/exhaust/tune, etc..), and it was an absolute hoot to drive. This car has the same power as my Clubman was when stock, but 500 lbs heavier and AWD to boot. Within a week of ownership I lowered it along with replacing the rear lower control arm with an adjustable aluminum piece (the car had -4" of negative camber in back and could not adjust it at all with the stock arm in place), added an intake, exhaust, changed the air charge and discharge turbo pipes (hot and cold side), and added a set of 19" wheels wrapped with non run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 225/40/19. I still have a few other things I want to add, but aren't available yet, like a rear sway bar, front strut tower brace, and a set of sport shocks. The springs are too stiff for the soft-ish stock shocks, so when going over a hard bump, the rear end crashes/bottoms out pretty badly. NOBODY makes a set of aftermarket shocks for this car as of yet. I'll be finishing it off with an ECU tune when it's available as well, which should be soon. There are several companies that already have the tune available, but MINI changed up the ECU yet again for cars built after 2/12, and with my car being built 4/12, have to wait. The people I've spoken to about the tune have pretty much convinced me that the tune will give me the joy and pleasure that I once had in my '09.

Next up, the stripes. I had no choice in my car, as I took something out of stock, and it was the only one out there with the 2 options I HAD to have, which also meant I had to take a car with what I wanted, along with about $5k in extra options I didn't care for. Oh well...I don't like the OEM sport stripes, the front doesn't match the rear, and I hate the way the front looks like a pitch fork. I can understand why they did is this way, but I don't like it.

I also didn't like the whole black and white theme, I wanted to add a little color to it, and orange seemed to be a good (different) color to add. Which leads to the whole point of this thread....

Things that I did:
Replaced the OEM sport stripes on the boot/bonnet to black carbon fiber and orange
Replaced the side mirror covers and scuttle surround with OEM orange trim parts
Added orange around the brake ducts
Added gloss black over the belt line, headlight and tail light surrounds and around the front grille
Added orange to the "4"
Added a 1" orange trim stripe across the doors
Added black carbon fiber to the trim above the side scuttle

Before:

After:

What do you think?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The finished pics I posted above were photoshopped to make the colors pop a little more, but it washed out some of the orange, here's some actual unedited pics:

The original plan was to wrap the head light chrome trim along with the head light washer cover, but he forgot to do it. He told me I can bring it back any time to have it wrapped too, but I think it meshes well with the chrome inside the headlight around the low beam, so i'll most probably leave it this way.

I also noticed the driver's side rear door trim doesn't look all so straight. I did notice it when I picked up the car and said something to them, but it was hard to see because of where the car was parked when I picked it up to walk around it, plus the curves of the door play games with your eyes. He said I can come back anytime to fix or adjust anything I don't like. The more I look at that door, the more it seems a little off to me..

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Looks great, personally I love the mirrors. The only thing I don't like is the way the stripes stop on the hood and don't wrap under. That little bit of white there would drive me crazy.

That thing sure is huge to be called a Mini :)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
As Borat would say.....Thatsa very nice, I like!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you did a great job except for the orange mirrors. Otherwise she really POPS!
The mirrors and trim around the scuttle (side markers) are OE accessories. My goal was to find orange vinyl to match the color. The color I chose is off a shade, but it's hard to tell because the vinyl isn't close enough to the mirror cover or scuttle surround to really notice. I went with the "Gloss Burnt Orange"

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great, personally I love the mirrors. The only thing I don't like is the way the stripes stop on the hood and don't wrap under. That little bit of white there would drive me crazy.
When I picked up the car, the guy pointed it out to me, I just don't remember what he said as to why he decided to go all the way to the edge on the orange and not the black cf. Honestly doesn't bother me all that much! I'm more bothered by the driver's side rear door trim not looking straight, which I noticed immediately when I picked up the car but was hard to really see clearly the way the car was parked in the garage where they did the work. The curves of the door plays games with your eyes, making it look way off, but after being able to take a step back and see the side more clearly, it does look like it's not 100% straight. I pointed it out to them when I picked up the car, but they were closing for the day and I was in a rush, so we said we would deal with it next time.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
good job getting rid of the chrome trim.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Posted this just before the hurricane...

My Mini survived the Hurricane...Pulled the car up as far into the driveway as possible. Water went halfway up the driveway, but no damage to my Mini. This was the morning after...

Can't say the same about my other car parked behind it...

Or my wife's car (The one in the middle of the picture with both reflectors lit up)

Her car was submerged...the water rose even higher to the pic above..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts