The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've finally got my 111R. My previous car was a standard Elise S2 2001 "Race Tech", upgraded to about 157 bhp.

I drove my new 111R for the first time today (actually the first time ever in a 111R, didn't get the chance to test drive it first...).

Drove it 150 miles today, so couldn't pass 4500 rpm, but it doesn't matter. I love the car. I really love it. I really really love it.

These are my first impressions (excuse my english :))

Looks

The colour is Storm Titanium. This is to me the most stunning and beautiful Elise ever made. I believe the Exige S2 is the most stunning Lotus ever made, but the 111R is second to the Exige S2.

Quality

Quality is improved in all aspects. No rattling, no strange noises, the car is very well built. There's huge diffence compared to the original Elise S2. I love the new interior as well, new seats and the new instruments.

Equipment

The only option on my car is metallic paint. For me, everything else I wanted was standard. I don't drive the car during the winters and the summers here are not that hot nor humid.

Engine

The engine is amazing. It feels so much better than the K-series. The power delivery is very linear and smooth. I can't believe the torque figures, feels a lot more in reality than on the spec sheet.

Engine/exhaust noise? I think it sounds really nice as it is standard. I don't feel there's a need for a sport exhaust. On my previous car I had sportexhaust, sport cat and ITG induction. The car sounded good, but loud. Very loud, which gets a little bit tiring after a while.

Love the "no red line on the rev counter"!

Gearbox

It feels very "mechanical" and precise. Thousands times better than the old Rover one.

The gear knob is i piece of art.

Breaks

I cannot understand the complaints about that there's no feeling in the breaks in the 111R. The 111R has the best breaks I've ever come across.

Steering/Handling

This is truly spectacular. Lotus has improved both steering and handling. A lot. The steering is a bit heavier than on the standard S2. I prefer the 111R "heavier approach". The best of all is that the 111R has a lot more feeling in it's steering. And this is compared to the standard S2, which is knowned to have the best steering of all cars in the world.

What about handling? It's improved. The understeer is gone and the car feel very solid on the road. Strangely, it's more comfortable than the S2 (and the S1). I don't know what Lotus has done, or how they've done it, but it is really astonishing.

What about weight? Strangely, it feels lighter than the standard S2, which could be due to the fact the the ride quality is improved.

Conclusion

As I've already said. I love it. Lotus has improved the Elise in all aspects. I had expected a lot better engine and gearbox, but I hadn't realised that everthing else was better as well.

The final conclusin is simple. The Elise 111R is the best sports car I've ever driven. And I believe it's the most fun sports car in the world.

My old S2 and my new 111R

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Thanks, absolutely love the color too. I'm always told that Sweden is a great place to be.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for sharing your pictures and driving impressions. The Storm Titanium looks excellent. Can I come visit?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
hi peter,
congratulations! nice color!

so far i've seen a total of 3 111Rs in Storm Titanium, one yellow, one red, one midnight blue and one starlight black on Elisetalk.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just wondering, what other color 111R's did they have in stock that you picked ST over?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nxm150 said:
Just wondering, what other color 111R's did they have in stock that you picked ST over?
I chose ST and then my dealer ordered it directly from the factory. The delivery time was about 7 weeks.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hell, I ordered plain old ardent red/biscuit in Dec/Jan 04 and still waiting!!!!:( :D Seven weeks, wow!!!!
Chris

·
Registered
866 Posts
Is it wrong that I feel jelous and cheated that our cars are not here yet? :confused: :confused:

Maybe I would have an easier time if I were angry at Lotus!:D

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks for sharing your impressions and the great pictures!

BTW: No need to apologize for your English, it's excellent.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
ConeFusion said:
BTW: No need to apologize for your English, it's excellent.
Yeah, beats the hell out of my Swedish.

Thanks for the profile of your 111. It's gorgeous.

Mike

·
Registered
971 Posts
Nice pictures. Stockholm appears to have become more rural than I remember it being. :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
OH MY GOD, what an incredible set of photos, and thank you so much for great shots of storm titanium in sun light, wow.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I noticed you have a wheel lock on your hub. Was that standard, or did you have it added?

Lately it's been HID headlights getting stolen in the bad parts of town here, but maybe Lotus wheels are worth protecting a little.

·
Registered
486 Posts
WOW!!!

As if I wasn't anxious enough to be getting my own Storm Titanium. After seeing these pics, the wait is really unbearable.

Hope I'll be seeing mine sometime in the fall...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts